Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New GS related gismo from Educational Insights  (Read 5570 times)

zachhoran

New GS related gismo from Educational Insights
« on: September 23, 2003, 07:36:42 PM »
The schools of the contestants competing in this week's Back to School week will receive Classroom Jeopardy!, which is a Powerpoint-like system where teachers can recreate the J! format and make J! games for their classes. It is made by Educational Insights, who made a popular game show prize of the 90s: The Geosafari Electronic Geography game. Something for Matt O. to add to the J! section of his GS home game page.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 10:48:02 PM »
Something for Matt O. to add to the J! section of his GS home game page.
I'll do that on the next update.  Turns out there are several websites that describe the gizmo in some detail.  Since I work in education, I'm stunned I didn't know about it until now.

The Jeopardy contestant test uses a powerpoint system that looks and feels very much like the actual TV show.  I wonder if it's the same product?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2003, 10:50:45 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 10:56:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 09:48 PM\']
The Jeopardy contestant test uses a powerpoint system that looks and feels very much like the actual TV show.  I wonder if it's the same product? [/quote]
 It sounds like it might be Powerpoint inspired, and a nice gadget even for non-educators to have. What's next, a Feud or WOF system along those lines?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 12:32:29 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 10:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 09:48 PM\']
The Jeopardy contestant test uses a powerpoint system that looks and feels very much like the actual TV show.  I wonder if it's the same product? [/quote]
It sounds like it might be Powerpoint inspired, and a nice gadget even for non-educators to have. What's next, a Feud or WOF system along those lines? [/quote]
Here's a link to Classroom Jeopardy!, in case nobody knows what we're talking about.

I would've mentioned the Classroom Jeopardy! gizmo in the summer, as I included it in a report for one of my education classes.  Unfortunately, posting to this board isn't a high priority in my life at the present time.

I can't see WoF or Feud working in a classroom setting.  Password would work for language arts classes and you don't need a $400 electronic gadget to play that game.

Without sending this thread way off-topic, I would be interested to hear how educators (Matt, Adam, and anybody else I'm forgetting) incorporate game shows and games in general into the classroom.  I won't start teaching for another year but I am interested in ways to add some games (and fun in general) to a bland subject, my field--high school math.  Jeopardy is an idea but it isn't a very math-friendly game and the preparation time would be hours.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 12:33:30 AM by hmtriplecrown »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 12:49:02 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 11:32 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 10:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 09:48 PM\']
The Jeopardy contestant test uses a powerpoint system that looks and feels very much like the actual TV show.  I wonder if it's the same product? [/quote]
It sounds like it might be Powerpoint inspired, and a nice gadget even for non-educators to have. What's next, a Feud or WOF system along those lines? [/quote]
Here's a link to Classroom Jeopardy!, in case nobody knows what we're talking about.

I would've mentioned the Classroom Jeopardy! gizmo in the summer, as I included it in a report for one of my education classes.  Unfortunately, posting to this board isn't a high priority in my life at the present time.

I can't see WoF or Feud working in a classroom setting.  Password would work for language arts classes and you don't need a $400 electronic gadget to play that game.

Without sending this thread way off-topic, I would be interested to hear how educators (Matt, Adam, and anybody else I'm forgetting) incorporate game shows and games in general into the classroom.  I won't start teaching for another year but I am interested in ways to add some games (and fun in general) to a bland subject, my field--high school math.  Jeopardy is an idea but it isn't a very math-friendly game and the preparation time would be hours. [/quote]
 You can always host \"Play the Percentages\"....heck, high school couples act like their married.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

cyberjoek

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 01:26:14 AM »
every time we've used Who Wants To Be A Millionare it has worked great, if you want your kids to think more have them each write a stack of 15 questions.
-Joe Kavanagh

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 07:01:47 AM »
I, like Mike, knew about this in summer, and even was given a brochure on it from somebody who works at the school. It's pricey ($400) but it comes with pre-made test games and cartridges to store your own.

Now if you haven't clicked the link already, the package comes with a WebTV-esque base unit and a keyboard. These are used to type up your own games and store them on the included or additionally bought cartridges. The unit comes with a scoring display tied into the base. It has three 5-digit LED vane font displays with a dry erase nameplate above each one. Three handheld buzzers are included, each resembling a modern joystick with a built-in hand grip. A master controller is also included for the host to indicate correct/incorrect and so on.

When I can, I'll scan the brochure and post it somewheres. It's really interesting.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 04:57:00 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 11:32 PM\']Without sending this thread way off-topic, I would be interested to hear how educators (Matt, Adam, and anybody else I'm forgetting) incorporate game shows and games in general into the classroom.  I won't start teaching for another year but I am interested in ways to add some games (and fun in general) to a bland subject, my field--high school math.  Jeopardy is an idea but it isn't a very math-friendly game and the preparation time would be hours.[/quote]
I'm not an educator, and the show was designed for grade schoolers, but the legit games (not the staged ones) on \"Square One TV\" might be worth looking at--since Mark Goodson's people developed the games, you know that the kinks got worked out of them.  You could try to adapt them to high school math.

Unfortunately, since the show doesn't fit the identity of either the 2003 Noggin or The N (and the license they have to air Sesame Workshop [CTW] shows other than the Noggin/N originals is about to run out, anyway), you can't just set the VCR on Noggin every night to catch the shows these days.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 05:09:47 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Sep 24 2003, 06:01 AM\'] I, like Mike, knew about this in summer, and even was given a brochure on it from somebody who works at the school. It's pricey ($400) but it comes with pre-made test games and cartridges to store your own.

Now if you haven't clicked the link already, the package comes with a WebTV-esque base unit and a keyboard. These are used to type up your own games and store them on the included or additionally bought cartridges. The unit comes with a scoring display tied into the base. It has three 5-digit LED vane font displays with a dry erase nameplate above each one. Three handheld buzzers are included, each resembling a modern joystick with a built-in hand grip. A master controller is also included for the host to indicate correct/incorrect and so on.

When I can, I'll scan the brochure and post it somewheres. It's really interesting.

-Jason [/quote]
 Jason, do you know if this unit has a lockout on it?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 03:24:55 PM »
Indeed it does Don - the thing acts as a timer, plays the Daily Double cues, FJ music, et al. I don't remember if the site's pictures were as good as the brochure's, but both are worth a look.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 08:49:13 PM »
This is pretty cool, although the only part of this package that would be difficult to create yourself is the lock-out buzzer-- the rest could easily be done by anyone with a little computer programming experience (integrating the scoreboard into the on-screen display instead of a standalone electronic unit).  

Can I assume the screen toggles between the current question and the game grid?  Does the system freeze out the buzzers until the host has indicated he's done reading the question?

- Peter
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 09:10:47 PM by Peter Sarrett »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2003, 06:49:04 AM »
Difficult, maybe.  But possible.  I've posted this link before, but it's relevant to the last post in this thread, and frankly, it's just darn cool stuff.

http://www.arcadeparadise.org
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 04:35:24 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Sep 26 2003, 03:49 AM\'] Difficult, maybe.  But possible.  I've posted this link before, but it's relevant to the last post in this thread, and frankly, it's just darn cool stuff.

http://www.arcadeparadise.org [/quote]
 Yeah, it's definitely cool stuff, I'm working on a MAME control console right now. :)

Really, making the buzzer system is cake (it emulates a keyboard), all you'd have to do is write the code, and the code wouldn't be difficult at all either.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 08:18:41 PM »
Code I can do.  Hardware... not so much.

dickoon

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 08:37:22 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Sep 24 2003, 05:32 AM\'] Without sending this thread way off-topic, I would be interested to hear how educators (Matt, Adam, and anybody else I'm forgetting) incorporate game shows and games in general into the classroom. [/quote]
 Mike, talk to David Hammett as the world authority on incorporating game show principles into math classes. His practices (plus his record in teaching optional scholastic programs, plus the fact he's just so darn good at what he does) earned him a final-three placing in the state of Georgia's \"teacher of the year\" contest one year. I think he's registered for this board, so I hope he gets to see this and gets in touch with you for pointers. Paging David Hammett! (Using the porta-Ottinger paging device.)

*scratches chin*

*digs through GSC record banks*

*is surprised that you never met David*

*realises how much the game show fandom changed between '96 and '98*