Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yet another problem with "Crosswords"  (Read 5185 times)

Neumms

Yet another problem with "Crosswords"
« on: September 24, 2007, 04:04:24 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that "Merv Griffin's Crosswords" is a misnomer considering they only play/do one crossword per episode? Looking at it this way might have even lead to a better name.

jmangin

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:19:27 PM »
I think you're splitting hairs.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 12:29:37 AM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'164685\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 01:19 PM\']I think you're splitting hairs.
[/quote]QFT.

For what it's worth, I was listening to the AM radio last night, and the 9p-1a guy happens to be both a five-time winner on The Challengers and a game show fan in general. And he was going on about Crosswords for a full segment, about the money, the host, the Spoiler Snipe, and (I kid you not) about how Ty refers to the lecterns as "podiums", giving all 200 or so of his listeners a quickie Latin lesson about the prefix pod-, and so forth.

If I wasn't actually trying to get to sleep, I would have called him up, but then, how interesting is talk radio when both sides agree?

/I don't remember which ratings book it was, but the poor shlub only managed an AQH of 200. No wonder they went with Midnight Trucking Radio for those three boring months.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:48:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'164683\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 04:04 PM\']
Has anyone else noticed that "Merv Griffin's Crosswords" is a misnomer considering they only play/do one crossword per episode? Looking at it this way might have even lead to a better name.
[/quote]

No, the real misnomer is that most of the words on the show they use are not words you would either use or say when you *are* cross, or pissed off!

Then again, these are *Merv Griffin's* Crosswords!  Maybe when Merv was upset he'd scream words like "COLUMBUS" or "MATCH" !
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 11:49:06 AM by TimK2003 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 11:54:29 AM »
Oddly enough, I'm thinking of a few of those words right now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tomobrien

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 12:14:14 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'164723\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 11:29 PM\']
For what it's worth, I was listening to the AM radio last night, and the 9p-1a guy happens to be both a five-time winner on The Challengers and a game show fan in general. And he was going on about Crosswords for a full segment, about the money, the host, the Spoiler Snipe, and (I kid you not) about how Ty refers to the lecterns as "podiums", giving all 200 or so of his listeners a quickie Latin lesson about the prefix pod-, and so forth. [/quote]
Tell him to check his dictionaries.  Even my 20-year-old Webster's Ninth New Collegiate lists "podiums" as an acceptable plural (in fact, it's listed first).  You don't hear many people using "stadia" these days, either...and we won't even get into "scrota," so to speak.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:41:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' post=\'164750\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 11:14 AM\']
and we won't even get into "scrota," so to speak.
[/quote]
Nice.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

fishbulb

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 01:25:23 PM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' post=\'164750\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 09:14 AM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'164723\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 11:29 PM\']
For what it's worth, I was listening to the AM radio last night, and the 9p-1a guy happens to be both a five-time winner on The Challengers and a game show fan in general. And he was going on about Crosswords for a full segment, about the money, the host, the Spoiler Snipe, and (I kid you not) about how Ty refers to the lecterns as "podiums", giving all 200 or so of his listeners a quickie Latin lesson about the prefix pod-, and so forth. [/quote]
Tell him to check his dictionaries.  Even my 20-year-old Webster's Ninth New Collegiate lists "podiums" as an acceptable plural (in fact, it's listed first).  You don't hear many people using "stadia" these days, either...and we won't even get into "scrota," so to speak.
[/quote]

No, the problem isn't the plural.  It's that a podium is something you stand on.  The things you stand behind are lecterns.
Where's Edwin Newman when you need him?

dzinkin

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 01:31:45 PM »
[quote name=\'fishbulb\' post=\'164753\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 01:25 PM\']
No, the problem isn't the plural.  It's that a podium is something you stand on.  The things you stand behind are lecterns.
[/quote]
This may be a losing battle.  Even Merriam-Webster lists "lectern" as a definition of "podium."

fishbulb

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 02:47:17 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'164754\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 10:31 AM\']
[quote name=\'fishbulb\' post=\'164753\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 01:25 PM\']
[/quote]
This may be a losing battle.  Even Merriam-Webster lists "lectern" as a definition of "podium."
[/quote]

Yes, but that's only because people have been confusing the two for so long.  I think you're right that it's a losing battle.

tpirfan28

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 02:56:59 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'164754\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 01:31 PM\']
[/quote]
On Jeopardy!, they are lecterns.
On Crosswords, they are podiums.
On Wheel of Fortune, they are "things".
On The Price is Right, they are $1290.
On Temptation, they are T$15.

/Millionaire doesn't have them.
//Interesting thing about M-W's definition.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

HYHYBT

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 03:03:36 PM »
Words mean what people use them to mean; why shouldn't the dictionary update accordingly?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 03:21:04 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'164765\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 12:03 PM\']
Words mean what people use them to mean;
[/quote]
This is the most depressing thing I have read in a very long time.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 03:29:29 PM »
Given that Merv's show requires contestants to spell their answers, answers which include such corkers as "etui," one might expect proper usage of "podium" vis a vis "lecturn."

Gus

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 04:43:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'164768\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 03:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'164765\' date=\'Sep 25 2007, 12:03 PM\']
Words mean what people use them to mean;
[/quote]
This is the most depressing thing I have read in a very long time.
[/quote]
Depressing, but absolutely true. That's how it's been for as long as there's been language.

/Still doesn't make it right, IMO.