Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Caught in the Act" (Jim Peck) pilot  (Read 1912 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
"Caught in the Act" (Jim Peck) pilot
« on: September 22, 2007, 11:07:59 PM »
They display which of the 5 celebrities have been "caught" by each contestant.

They almost look like simple paper rolls, but not really.

I've never seen anything like them on any other show, and I'm not quite sure how they work.

Anyone know?

(If you haven't seen the pilot, go to Pageoclips.com and search for "Caught in the Act". The full pilot is available to watch.)
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 11:15:21 PM »
Weren't they Solari boards, used on all the other Stewart shows of the 70s?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 11:21:49 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'164592\' date=\'Sep 22 2007, 10:15 PM\']
Weren't they Solari boards, used on all the other Stewart shows of the 70s?
[/quote]

I thought so, too.

But they don't flip, they roll.

Almost like all the names are on one solid piece of paper/whatever material used.

They roll forward and backward, too.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 11:23:23 PM by DoorNumberFour »
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services

TheLastResort

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 11:44:29 PM »
I just looked at some of the pilot.  Looks like some kind of paper roll, only the paper is being stretched across a flat surface where it is visible through the opening.  Think conveyor belt.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:50:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'164595\' date=\'Sep 22 2007, 10:44 PM\']
I just looked at some of the pilot.  Looks like some kind of paper roll, only the paper is being stretched across a flat surface where it is visible through the opening.  Think conveyor belt.
[/quote]

That makes sense, but notsomuch when you picture two or three names being displayed at the same time, especially with such a small gap between each window.

TheLastResort

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 11:59:27 PM »
Well, if the paper was tightly wound around two small spools on the top and bottom of each window, it could fit in the gap.  I don't know how else they could do it.  It may not be paper either.  Could be canvas or some type of cloth.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 12:00:27 AM by TheLastResort »

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'164597\' date=\'Sep 22 2007, 11:59 PM\']
Well, if the paper was tightly wound around two small spools on the top and bottom of each window, it could fit in the gap.  I don't know how else they could do it.  It may not be paper either.  Could be canvas or some type of cloth.
[/quote]

Not having seen the pilot, and going by the descriptions mentioned above, my guess is that they used either a small roll of plastic or canvas.

I have in my posession an old "Destination Roll" that buses used prior to the current Ferranti and dot-matrix boards (that most bus fleets use today) which would tell people where the bus was going.  The roll I have was a combination of plastic and canvas that was thin enough to fit the rollers and to be backlit with no problem.  FWIW, Greyhound still uses the old plastic signage rolls on their fleet.

Based on the small dimensions the destination equipment had above the windshield of the bus, you could still have a roll with about 50 - 60 different destinations with each individual location about 6-7 inches tall.  

If someone can post a clip showing the displays in action, I can try to determine if the bus sign mechanics would work on this pilot's displays.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 12:37:07 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'164606\' date=\'Sep 23 2007, 10:28 AM\']
If someone can post a clip showing the displays in action, I can try to determine if the bus sign mechanics would work on this pilot's displays.
[/quote]

The entire pilot is on PageOClips.com. Go there and search for "Caught in the Act".

byrd62

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'164606\' date=\'Sep 23 2007, 11:28 AM\']
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'164597\' date=\'Sep 22 2007, 11:59 PM\']
[/quote]

Not having seen the pilot, and going by the descriptions mentioned above, my guess is that they used either a small roll of plastic or canvas.

I have in my posession an old "Destination Roll" that buses used prior to the current Ferranti and dot-matrix boards (that most bus fleets use today) which would tell people where the bus was going.  The roll I have was a combination of plastic and canvas that was thin enough to fit the rollers and to be backlit with no problem.  FWIW, Greyhound still uses the old plastic signage rolls on their fleet.

Based on the small dimensions the destination equipment had above the windshield of the bus, you could still have a roll with about 50 - 60 different destinations with each individual location about 6-7 inches tall.  

[/quote]

The original NBC-New York version of The Match Game from 1962-69 used similar technology to keep score, with white numbers, starting at 0, followed by increments of 25 [increments of 10 for the pilot], on a black "Destination Roll".  These scoreboards also featured a white backlight that also flashed on and off, coordinated with appropriate sound effects, for a win, whether it was "100" in the front game or the final total after the three "Audience Match" questions were asked.  Preceding the "0", no pun intended, was a blank space of black.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 12:54:15 PM by byrd62 »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 03:49:23 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' post=\'164660\' date=\'Sep 24 2007, 12:03 PM\']
The original NBC-New York version of The Match Game from 1962-69 used similar technology to keep score, with white numbers, starting at 0, followed by increments of 25 [increments of 10 for the pilot], on a black "Destination Roll".  These scoreboards also featured a white backlight that also flashed on and off, coordinated with appropriate sound effects, for a win, whether it was "100" in the front game or the final total after the three "Audience Match" questions were asked.  Preceding the "0", no pun intended, was a blank space of black.
[/quote]

You know, I've seen the NBC Match Game and I didn't even make the connection (again, no pun intended) between that scoreboard and this one.

Thanks!