Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Writers walk from Temptation  (Read 6546 times)

davidhammett

Writers walk from Temptation
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:12:40 AM »
[quote name=\'GameShowFan\' post=\'163015\' date=\'Sep 6 2007, 08:35 PM\']
3) The Senior Producer of the show is Aaron Solomon. He and I interned at Game Show Network in 1995. He's a smart guy, and respects game shows. If he has any hand in constructing the games, he will not let things spiral completely out of control. (I hope.) The material and writing styles reflected his touch. (He's also written for Feud, 21, and Pyramid.)
[/quote]
Aaron has asked me to let everyone on the Big Board know that he is no longer working on Temptation.  The Writers' Guild of America directed its members who were writing for the show to walk from the show when Fremantle opted not to negotiate with the Guild and subsequently make Temptation a Guild show.

For those who may not understand the logistics behind this, take note of the credits in many of your favorite game and reality shows.  When you see "writers" in the credits, they are working on a Guild show and are Guild members.  When a show is "Guild," it means the writers on the show are guaranteed a variety of benefits (e.g. health insurance) that they are not necessarily provided on non-Guild shows.

When writers work on non-Guild shows, they are not referred to as writers.  A common practice on these shows is to designate those who are essentially writers as "segment producers" (or, in the case of Temptation, "producers").  When you see titles like those, it means that those people are doing at least similar work to writers, but without the benefits and safeguards that a writer on a Guild show would have.

The writers and other WGA members staged a picket line Tuesday morning outside the Tribune lot where Temptation is taped.  They are hoping that their efforts will bring attention to other shows where these same practices exist.

weaklink75

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 01:31:20 AM »
hoo boy...if this is a preview of the main WGA strike that could occur after their contract expires Oct 31, this could get really ugly really fast. My best to Mr. Solomon in whatever he does next.

narzo

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 03:33:37 AM »
I'm sorry but taking "credit" for writing such gems as "if it's 1:30 now, what time will it be in 45 minutes" is something anyone can live without on his/her resume.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:16:12 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'164244\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 03:33 AM\']
I'm sorry but taking "credit" for writing such gems as "if it's 1:30 now, what time will it be in 45 minutes" is something anyone can live without on his/her resume.
[/quote]

That's just unfair.

You might not *like* the question.  You might not think it's worthy of television time.  You might say it's a silly question.  But the fact is, somebody wrote it. And quite possibly, wrote another fifty or sixty questions with a triply-verifiable* answer, worded precisely to fit the game's format, and went back and did rewrites after the Powers That Be decreed the material too hard, too easy, too clever, whatever. And considered other possibly acceptable answers, including them in the formatting. And organized a game's worth of material, ensuring sufficient variety of subjects for each game.  And did it over and over again, until a hundred and sixty episodes worth of material were prepared and approved and formatted for taping.  And did it, not only under deadline, but under a ridiculously short deadline.  The kind that allows for a twenty-four episode taping week, week after week.

To say that Aaron and his colleagues shouldn't be called writer, while we sit and whine about this sound effect or the host's wardrobe: that's just unfair.

*"Look at your watch, bonehead!" is not considered acceptable verification by Standards and Practices.
czambo@mac.com

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 10:44:10 AM »
The Temptation situation even got some cyber-ink from Broadcasting & Cable.

While I wish the best to Aaron in his efforts to get the credit he and his co-writers deserve for Temptation and other future endeavors, I have a sense that the wheels are starting to come off of this show from all directions.  

Someone needs to get Rossi going and the show moving without all the little quirky sub games within the game itself.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:23:07 PM »
Jeopardy! went through this years ago, but they didn't give their writers high falootin' "producer" titles.  In the early years of the show, everybody was a "researcher" and the words just magically made their way onto the game board.

I don't claim to know much about the way unions work in the entertainment business, but this one seems like a no-brainer.  Clearly, material is "written" for the show, and those people ought to be considered writers.  The trickier part is the burgeoning world of reality shows, where the equivalent staff role is to create tension, excitement and even storylines by creative editing.  When they're at their best, those people are certainly storytellers, but are they really "writers" when they're not actually putting pen to paper, and the words we hear spoken are not their own?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davidhammett

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 01:42:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'164251\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 09:16 AM\']
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'164244\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 03:33 AM\']
[/quote]

That's just unfair.

You might not *like* the question.  You might not think it's worthy of television time.  You might say it's a silly question.  But the fact is, somebody wrote it. And quite possibly, wrote another fifty or sixty questions with a triply-verifiable* answer, worded precisely to fit the game's format, and went back and did rewrites after the Powers That Be decreed the material too hard, too easy, too clever, whatever. And considered other possibly acceptable answers, including them in the formatting. And organized a game's worth of material, ensuring sufficient variety of subjects for each game.  And did it over and over again, until a hundred and sixty episodes worth of material were prepared and approved and formatted for taping.  And did it, not only under deadline, but under a ridiculously short deadline.  The kind that allows for a twenty-four episode taping week, week after week.
[/quote]
And, I'll add, being sure to conform to the types of questions that you have been directed to write by the executives in charge of the show....

Nicely put, Clay.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:00:31 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'164244\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 12:33 AM\']
[/quote]
Spoken like a lot of the on-air talent I've worked with. Well done.

/No, that wasn't a compliment.
//Not all of them. There exists on-air talent who respect their support staff. Sadly, just not very many.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 02:08:32 PM »
I've stayed out of this discussion until now. I am an employee of FrematleMedia. But I feel compelled to make a few brief GENERAL statements of opinion:

1.  The political climate of deregulation that began in the Reagan years has resulted in the formation of vertically integrated international mega-conglomerates way beyond the scope of what was considered unacceptable by the U.S. government in 1947 (see: The Paramount Decree that forced the dismantling Hollywood's structure at that time).

2.  The creative community is under attack in Hollywood with attempts at union busting as well as disregard for the letter and spirit of signed labor agreements.

3.  While television programs are often dismissed as merely entertainment, they are high-stakes business ventures that employ experienced and dedicated professionals who rely on their employment to support their families.

4.  The Temptation writers (aka "producers") are showing tremendous courage in this important struggle that directly impacts their livelihoods and careers. They are at the front lines of a battle that has been brewing for many years that affects a great many people.

5.  The issue is far larger in scope than viewers' opinions about this one television program's format, host and writing. It is larger in scope than the programs from this one production company. It is larger in scope than has been discussed in this thread, as it is related to the production and distribution (DVD, on-line, etc.) of programs beyond game and reality shows.

I hope this matter is resolved quickly and equitably so that we can all move on with the work of creating entertainment, and take the spotlight off of the behind the scenes issues of this industry  As a poor and intentionally humorous analogy, I think the audience's enjoyment of the circus is compromised by knowledge of how the elephants are treated.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:53:45 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 02:57:31 PM »
I don't have a horse in this race, but there is one little hitch in this giddy-up: If Aaron were truly a "senior producer" then he is considered management and he would not walk out, any more than Roger Dobkowitz would walk out on TPIR. If he is merely a glorified writer and not considered management then his "senior producer" title is completely hollow. But, speaking as a NABET steward, far be it from me to get in the way of a worker and his collective bargaining representitive.

What Randy says is true. Watch Lou Dobbs' show on CNN some time when he does his "War On the Middle Class" segment.

FWIW, outside of AFTRA members Drew Carey and Rich Fields, the only above-the-line union worker on TPIR is Bart Eskander (DGA). The A.D., stage managers, stagehands and technicians are all below-the-line and work for CBS.

Aaron has asked me to let everyone on the Big Board know
It wouldn't kill Aaron to bite the bullet and set up an account here.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 03:01:25 PM by chris319 »

narzo

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 04:25:27 PM »
OMG, lighten up people. I was joking earlier.  

Personally, I'm not a union person.  I know people who have been members of AFTRA and have complained loudly about how useless it is.  If the writers guild has something to offer these guys that they think they need, "God Bless", hope it works out for you.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 06:13:11 PM by narzo »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 05:42:35 PM »
A lot of "name" talent, be they local or network, have personal services contracts which pay better than AFTRA scale. I can see where one would question the usefulness of a union under such circumstances.

What an utterly naive statement. Do you think the 61 questions used on Jeopardy! every day write themselves?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 05:43:07 PM by chris319 »

tpirfan28

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 05:50:03 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'164308\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 05:42 PM\']
What an utterly naive statement. Do you think the 61 questions used on Jeopardy! every day write themselves?
[/quote]If this was a regular-round question, then yes, I'd say this was a really bad question.  But it was for a speed round...makes for a good question.  I also liked a recent question (same speed round I think too!) of "Electric or steam...which powers a steam iron?"  It provokes rapid thought through a basic question.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

davemackey

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 06:30:51 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'164293\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 02:57 PM\']
FWIW, outside of AFTRA members Drew Carey and Rich Fields, the only above-the-line union worker on TPIR is Bart Eskander (DGA). The A.D., stage managers, stagehands and technicians are all below-the-line and work for CBS.
[/quote]
What happens when an AD crosses the line and periodically directs episodes of the show in the absence of the regular director? This goes back to when Al Mifelow did some IGAS shows in the late 60's filling in for Paul Alter. Back in February, Fred W. directed a Price (which I think was his first). Would he get a DGA salary for that particular show?

davidhammett

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 07:10:25 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'164293\' date=\'Sep 19 2007, 02:57 PM\']
I don't have a horse in this race, but there is one little hitch in this giddy-up: If Aaron were truly a "senior producer" then he is considered management and he would not walk out, any more than Roger Dobkowitz would walk out on TPIR. If he is merely a glorified writer and not considered management then his "senior producer" title is completely hollow. But, speaking as a NABET steward, far be it from me to get in the way of a worker and his collective bargaining representitive.[/quote]

Much of what Aaron did on the show could be described as "head writer;" I don't know any specifics that led to the Senior Producer title.

Aaron has asked me to let everyone on the Big Board know
It wouldn't kill Aaron to bite the bullet and set up an account here.
I'll make sure he sees your invitation.