Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BrainBusters  (Read 1352 times)

tvmitch

BrainBusters
« on: September 12, 2007, 09:56:35 PM »
As some of you may know, I work at WGAL-TV, the local NBC affiliate here in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York, PA market.

This October, we begin the seventh (?) season of Capital Blue Cross BrainBusters, the local high school quiz bowl show. I've been recruited to help redesign the BrainBusters area of WGAL.com, which can be seen here with last year's stats and winners.

So for those of you who have been involved in such a production, or really anyone here, since most of us have parallel interests in quiz bowl, what would you do with this site? What would you add or take away? I basically have carte blanche on this one, which is fun. Keep in mind the general audience of this show, which is parents and the kids who play. Success will be measured in increased pageviews.

One of the definite additions will be a minute-long video recap of the episode that aired that week. Also, an element that stays is the Pop Quiz, where local professors ask questions of the home audience to win prizes.

I'm especially looking for creative ideas on how to present the bracket. (Link to last year's bracket, which, well, isn't very practical.) I can't "go to town" as much as I'd like with the code, but any suggestions on how to present the bracket in more detail, maybe something on the front page of the section, would definitely be appreciated.

A limitation I have is that my content must remain between the side bar with the links on the left, and the skyscraper ad on the right.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated...the new site will launch in just a couple weeks, so my time is limited. Thanks!
You should follow me on Twitter

Steve McClellan

BrainBusters
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 02:17:39 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 06:56 PM\']One of the definite additions will be a minute-long video recap of the episode that aired that week. [/quote]
Just a minute? Any way you could get the whole thing up there? That's about the only thing that would attract me, and I'm guessing quite a few others.

tvmitch

BrainBusters
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 08:30:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'163622\' date=\'Sep 13 2007, 02:17 AM\']
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 06:56 PM\']One of the definite additions will be a minute-long video recap of the episode that aired that week. [/quote]
Just a minute? Any way you could get the whole thing up there? That's about the only thing that would attract me, and I'm guessing quite a few others.
[/quote]
There are possible sponsor issues with making whole episodes available online. I am working on it, but regardless, there will be an edited one-minute highlight clip produced every week that will go on the site.
You should follow me on Twitter