Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If Password returned,  (Read 19861 times)

Brandon Brooks

If Password returned,
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2003, 01:14:01 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 11:03 AM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jun 21 2003, 06:08 PM\']
That's \"mo' money\" syndrome.  $10,000 isn't a bad haul for a win at a bonus game, and if there is returning champions, all the better.

[/quote]
Two letters:  B.S.  

That's not \"'mo' money syndrome.\"  That's inflation.  Take a look at H2, especially the day when Peter Marshall hosted.  Sheesh! [/quote]
No, that isn't.  500% inflation over 15 years is ridiculous.  What makes $25,000 better than $10,000 for a show where there are returning champions?

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 01:15:56 PM by Brandon Brooks »

Neumms

If Password returned,
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2003, 02:26:58 PM »
Here's two more cents' worth.

That's \"mo' money\" syndrome.  $10,000 isn't a bad haul for a win at a bonus game, and if there is returning champions, all the better.

Two letters:  B.S. 

That's not \"'mo' money syndrome.\"  That's inflation.  Take a look at H2, especially the day when Peter Marshall hosted.  Sheesh!

Password isn't a game where the money matters that much. They used to play for $350, after all. As long as it doesn't seem cut-rate, any amount would do.

I'd structure it like this:
--Start with three password puzzles, preferably the more clever Super Password type (where they're a little like the board game Tri-Bond). Pay off, say, $500 apiece.
--Whoever leads at this point plays Cashword. Or, even better, Carword.
--After that, switch celebrities then play good old-fashioned Password until time expires (with the Tattletales bell sound, I hope). Either start each word at $500 and take away $50 for each clue, or simplify it and play a flat $500 a word. This way it's tense until the end, yet you can still end the game at a set time.
--Winner plays the Lightning Round for some amount of money. (They could use Alphabetics/Super Password rules, but I insist as someone else did that Lightning Round is the best bonus game name ever, so they've got to keep it.)

Timsterino

If Password returned,
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2003, 03:02:48 PM »
Wow would I love to see a \"Password\" revival. Now that is a classic show. If and when (I think it eventually will re-surface) it comes back I think it will be the most recent \"Super Password\"/\"Password Plus\" format.

Tim :-)

DrJWJustice

If Password returned,
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2003, 03:26:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 01:26 PM\'] Here's two more cents' worth.

Password isn't a game where the money matters that much. They used to play for $350, after all. As long as it doesn't seem cut-rate, any amount would do.
 [/quote]
 Money doesn't matter on a game show???  Gimme a break.  It's not the only reason why people play, but it's certainly a major reason.

DrJWJustice

If Password returned,
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2003, 03:30:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 12:14 PM\'] What makes $25,000 better than $10,000 for a show where there are returning champions?

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 I cannot believe you signed your name to that.  I don't know how you did -- probably not that well, given the question you asked --  but I did get through grade school mathematics with well beyond a 'C' average.  I'll take a game show that has returning champs and $25,000 for a bonus win over a show that has returning champs and $10,000 for a bonus win.  

In case you need me to draw you a picture, a person could win $50,000 (or more) in two games with $25,000 for an Alphabetics win.  It would take five games to do that under your scheme.  Better quit before you cram your foot further down your throat, Mr. Brooks.

sshuffield70

If Password returned,
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2003, 05:28:35 PM »
I have developed an actual projected format for Password, and have been able to host it invariably over the last year.  Some members of this board and its' predecessors have actually had a chance to play it. (gasp!)

Here's how it plays:

Title:  Password Challenge

Following the rules of the P+/SP formats, players still guess words to a puzzle.
Cashword is played for a progressive jackpot at the end of puzzle 2.
Alphabetics is progressive starting at $20,000

(end similarities)

Each word is worth points now.  And the puzzle value decreases with every word added.

Words are worth 25 (single), 50 (double), and 75 (triple)
Puzzles start at 500 (single), 1000 (double), and 1500 (triple)
Oh, yeah, there's no straddling.  Play is timed.  So far, the record is 3050 for a game (recorded last week.)

Otherwise, the basics aren't tinkered with.  And the single, single, double, triple(, triple) format attempts to make all the puzzles matter (which I know is a problem I had with both P+ and SP.)

Comments??

Dan Sadro

If Password returned,
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2003, 06:19:09 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 02:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 12:14 PM\'] What makes $25,000 better than $10,000 for a show where there are returning champions?

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
I cannot believe you signed your name to that.  I don't know how you did -- probably not that well, given the question you asked --  but I did get through grade school mathematics with well beyond a 'C' average.  I'll take a game show that has returning champs and $25,000 for a bonus win over a show that has returning champs and $10,000 for a bonus win. [/quote]
Brandon is still right.  A show that pays $25,000 is not a better show because it pays 2-1/2 times more money.

Shows aren't necessarily improved because of more money.  Password is not a better game if it pays pays $25,000 instead of $10,000... As a personal note, I'd rather appear on Password for $10,000 because it might be easier to win than if it were for $25,000.

We're talking about making a show better, not how to improve the well-being of winning contestants.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 06:20:34 PM by Dan Sadro »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
If Password returned,
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2003, 06:33:27 PM »
I'll take a game show that has an interesting concept, compelling gameplay, and good playalong value before I care ONE WHIT about how much they're playing for in the bonus game.

In case you need me to draw you a picture, a person could win $50,000 (or more) in two games with $25,000 for an Alphabetics win.  It would take five games to do that under your scheme.

Right. WHY IS THAT A GOOD THING? Why is that NECESSARY? Do you turn on the TV and say \"Wow, this person's been on the show for three days and he's only won $15K? I'm gonna watch something else...\"? Does it really affect your enjoyment of the show that much? If it does, you're beyond help, there is nothing I can do.

Better quit before you cram your foot further down your throat, Mr. Brooks

I don't think Brandon has anything down his throat yet, but I can think of an orifice your head seems to be rapidly approaching...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrJWJustice

If Password returned,
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2003, 07:11:27 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 05:33 PM\'] I'll take a game show that has an interesting concept, compelling gameplay, and good playalong value before I care ONE WHIT about how much they're playing for in the bonus game.

[snip]

Right. WHY IS THAT A GOOD THING? Why is that NECESSARY? Do you turn on the TV and say "Wow, this person's been on the show for three days and he's only won $15K? I'm gonna watch something else..."? Does it really affect your enjoyment of the show that much? If it does, you're beyond help, there is nothing I can do.

Better quit before you cram your foot further down your throat, Mr. Brooks

I don't think Brandon has anything down his throat yet, but I can think of an orifice your head seems to be rapidly approaching... [/quote]
 Prizes are part of what make the show interesting. They can help ratchet the tension.  They can keep people at the end of their seats.  That does not mean that everyone will watch a game show for that reason.  As for me, it is a reason why I watch.  It is not the reason.  

As for the second part of your statement, Chris, my statement is a matter of my OPINION.  There is no 'right or wrong' to it.  If I played for Brandon's $10,000, do you think me so stupid as to say \"no, I won't want my winnings -- they're not high enough\"?  If you think that, then you assume [assume = ASS/U/ME]  too much here.  You read too much into what I posted, and you are truly beyond anyone's help, let alone mine.  If I needed help in finding entertainment, Chris, rest assured you'd be among the very last people I'd ask for it.  All you know how to do is say \"no\" to people around here.  You did it in ATGS, the old board, and now here.  

Oh, and by the way, Mr. Negativity, if you think my head is approaching another orafice, then I'd suggest you clean your glasses, insert your contacts, or get some if you don't already have them.  Your opinion of me (or anyone else for that matter) is worth about as much as the lint in my pocket, and it's not worth losing a second of sleep.  

Now, enough of this crap.  Back to game shows.....

Brandon Brooks

If Password returned,
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2003, 08:18:43 PM »
For some reason, I've never expected you to be this testy towards me, since I haven't been towards you.  But, suit yourself.

Prizes are part of what make the show interesting. They can help ratchet the tension. They can keep people at the end of their seats. That does not mean that everyone will watch a game show for that reason. As for me, it is a reason why I watch. It is not the reason.
Compelling gameplay makes it a little more worthwhile for me.  More money makes a better game show not.  See $1MCofL and IYCoaL.

As for the second part of your statement, Chris, my statement is a matter of my OPINION. There is no 'right or wrong' to it. If I played for Brandon's $10,000, do you think me so stupid as to say \"no, I won't want my winnings -- they're not high enough\"?
I never said that.  It's the \"point of diminishing returns.\"  Password would not be significantly better with $25K than with $10K.  Of course I would take the money.  Will I like the show better?  Not really.

Now some shows need this, like WWTBAM?  But shows like the $1M Match Game should never see the light of day.

If you think that, then you assume [assume = ASS/U/ME] too much here. You read too much into what I posted, and you are truly beyond anyone's help, let alone mine. If I needed help in finding entertainment, Chris, rest assured you'd be among the very last people I'd ask for it. All you know how to do is say \"no\" to people around here. You did it in ATGS, the old board, and now here.
Calm down.  He was only reacting because you said I somehow didn't do well in math and I should stick my foot in my mouth.

Oh, and by the way, Mr. Negativity, if you think my head is approaching another orafice, then I'd suggest you clean your glasses, insert your contacts, or get some if you don't already have them. Your opinion of me (or anyone else for that matter) is worth about as much as the lint in my pocket, and it's not worth losing a second of sleep.
The only real negative one in this thread for you for trying to insult me when I didn't insult you.  Everything else is reactionary.  But of course \"sticks and stones.\"

Now, enough of this crap. Back to game shows.....
We weren't talking about game shows?  I know I was.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 08:26:30 PM by Brandon Brooks »

PeterMarshallFan

If Password returned,
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2003, 08:43:38 PM »
the $1M Match Game

Stoooppp!!! [throws head against padded walls and screams]

Can't we just end this flame war already? Lemme give you a happy medium. $20,000. There.

HomieG1386

If Password returned,
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2003, 09:20:15 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 07:43 PM\'] Can't we just end this flame war already? Lemme give you a happy medium. $20,000. There. [/quote]
 Agreed. $20,000 seems nice. If you win 5 straight days that's $100 grand. Not a bad amount compared to game shows nowdays. Wheel has a $100K space. 5-day champs on J! and H2 win up to $100K. Family Feud has 5-time champs that can win up to $100K over 5 days. $20K seems good for a bonus round.

If you don't agree, let's go back to school. $x. Done.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
If Password returned,
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2003, 10:29:53 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 04:11 PM\'] Prizes are part of what make the show interesting. They can help ratchet the tension. They can keep people at the end of their seats. That does not mean that everyone will watch a game show for that reason. As for me, it is a reason why I watch. It is not the reason. [/quote]
 But you're still not explaining why a 25K grand prize is more exciting than a 10K one. All you've said is \"well, because.\" Which doesn't surprise me, because I don't think a convincing reason exists.

As for the second part of your statement, Chris, my statement is a matter of my OPINION.

So's mine. So's Brandon's. And yet with your \"foot in mouth\" comment you attempt to deny Brandon his. If you're gonna dish it out, you'd better learn to take it.

If I played for Brandon's $10,000, do you think me so stupid as to say \"no, I won't want my winnings -- they're not high enough\"?

But that's the exact argument you are making. If they ARE high enough, why jack it to 25K? And I'm not making an assumption, this is information based completely off of your own posts. Can't you even argue with yourself efficiently?

All you know how to do is say \"no\" to people around here.  You did it in ATGS, the old board, and now here. 

If that were the case, do you think I'd still be here? If you really feel that picked on by me (and I assure you it's nothing personal...I think about you and your opinion of me even LESS than you do of mine, rest assured), you should take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself why. Yeah, too much to ask, I know.

Now, enough of this crap. Back to game shows.....

Translation: \"I have to have the last word, and to ensure this I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and sing \"Volare\" at the top of my lungs, which automatically refutes all further responses.\"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrJWJustice

If Password returned,
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2003, 12:04:29 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 09:29 PM\'] Translation: "I have to have the last word, and to ensure this I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and sing "Volare" at the top of my lungs, which automatically refutes all further responses." [/quote]
 Actually, I knew you couldn't resist having the last word, so out the window goes your 'translation.'  And actually, I had Dvorak in mind, but Voltaire will do nicely.  If you want to think less of me, as I said earlier, more power to you.  (I will admit it is fun to argue w/ you, sometimes.  It is theraputic, at least for me, after a long week in the office.)

Oh, and to answer your question of 'why jack it up'?  Because it's MONEY!  Given the choice of $25,000 and returning champs (I never ruled out that last part) or $10,000 and returning champs, which would you choose?  Would I say 'no' to ten grand?  Hell no!  Would I rather have twenty-five grand over ten grand?  All things being equal, HELL YES!  

First things first, though, and that's getting the show back on the air, preferably w/o the Pearson-style 'improvements' that took down Match Game, TTTT, and Card Sharks.

OK, Chris, your turn.

DrJWJustice

If Password returned,
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2003, 12:07:22 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 11:04 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 09:29 PM\'] "Volare" [/quote]
 Excuse me, I meant 'Volare,\" not \"Voltaire.\"  Actually, Voltaire is good for the mind, too.