Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Crosswords, Temptation ratings are in  (Read 21221 times)

BrandonFG

Crosswords, Temptation ratings are in
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 05:35:32 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'163433\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 05:25 PM\']
Maybe if Brian wasn't oblivious to the constructive criticisms of his posts...
[/quote]
I think Brian sees it...he just doesn't care. Like his "Stuart Scott said "Survey Says!" on 'SportsCenter', so it's game show related because I said so!" He even asked people to stop sniping when he made his references, so he knows people are criticizing, he just doesn't care.

I say throw him in the Iso Booth as well. Yeah, some might say I don't have to read it, but why should I not read because someone else isn't considerate enough to follow simple guidelines?

He's a borderline troll on his way to joining Horan.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 05:37:14 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'163429\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 02:05 PM\']
Speaking from a TV sales standpoint, year-to-year comparisons and trends help TV stations determine ad rates and rating point projections for upcoming broadcast periods when it comes time to work with businesses and agencies in charging rates and guaranteeing a minimum amount of viewers for long-term buys.
[/quote]
And that's great when you're in TV sales and cling desperately to these numbers as a method of selling your product, but as a practical measurement, it's really worthless.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 05:38:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'163437\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 05:35 PM\']
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'163433\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 02:25 PM\']
Maybe if Brian wasn't oblivious to the constructive criticisms of his posts...
[/quote]
Fixed that for you!
[/quote]
Very nicely done.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 05:38:28 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'163431\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 05:19 PM\']
As much as we bash the ratings systems used, they did not come by accident.  
--Mike [/quote]

The perils of hard liquor....

dzinkin

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 05:38:52 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'163438\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 05:35 PM\']
[/quote]
No, Zach set out to annoy people.  I'm not convinced that Brian has the intellectual capacity to form that intent.

That said, Brian doesn't post nearly as much as Zach did, and since Brian's already on permamod, it may be worth considering simply "losing" any posts of this nature that don't include links (or, if from printed sources, citations).

mmb5

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'163439\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 05:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'163429\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 02:05 PM\']
Speaking from a TV sales standpoint, year-to-year comparisons and trends help TV stations determine ad rates and rating point projections for upcoming broadcast periods when it comes time to work with businesses and agencies in charging rates and guaranteeing a minimum amount of viewers for long-term buys.
[/quote]
And that's great when you're in TV sales and cling desperately to these numbers as a method of selling your product, but as a practical measurement, it's really worthless.
[/quote]
What metric would you propose?

For those reading the article, wherever they put "Sept. 2007", I think they meant "Sept. 2006".  Otherwise it makes no sense.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 07:04:45 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'163445\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 03:26 PM\']
What metric would you propose?
[/quote]
Honestly? I don't know. But there has to be something a little more scientific available then asking people to write down what they watch or push a button on a box on top of their TV.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 10:49:24 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'163442\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 05:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'163438\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 05:35 PM\']
[/quote]
No, Zach set out to annoy people.  I'm not convinced that Brian has the intellectual capacity to form that intent.

That said, Brian doesn't post nearly as much as Zach did, and since Brian's already on permamod, it may be worth considering simply "losing" any posts of this nature that don't include links (or, if from printed sources, citations).
[/quote]

I counter that with this: the content of the email Zach sent me from a couple years back.

Subject: Zach won't get banned from the board. :)

Body: Just like Brian Henke won't.

You guys eventually banned Horan. That's all I'm saying.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

dzinkin

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 11:22:13 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'163464\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 10:49 PM\']
I counter that with this: the content of the email Zach sent me from a couple years back.

Subject: Zach won't get banned from the board. :)

Body: Just like Brian Henke won't.

You guys eventually banned Horan. That's all I'm saying.
[/quote]
You just countered your own attempt to counter; IMO the smiley is evidence of Zach's pride in being a jerk.  In everything Brian's said both publicly and privately, I've never seen any evidence that Brian realizes he's doing anything wrong.  As with Joe Mello, it doesn't mean he isn't wrong, but that and the wide gap in posting frequency (more than a year after Zach's ban, he's still more than five thousand posts ahead of Brian) are differences nonetheless.  In all honesty, if Brian posted more often or showed some sign of setting out to cause trouble, we'd be more likely to consider a ban.  He does neither, so permamod is more appropriate.

Moreover, Zach Horan's opinion on who's going to be banned deserves exactly the same weight as John Chartier's opinion on how to run a board, Harvey Daye's opinion on what constitutes a murderous totalitarian regime, or my opinion on what makes one professional wrestler better than another.  Which is to say, none whatsoever. :-)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 11:23:01 PM »
How does that "counter" David's post? Of all the opinions on whether Brian has been engaging in trollish behavior, I value Zach's the least.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 03:24:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'163467\' date=\'Sep 11 2007, 08:23 PM\']
Of all the opinions on whether Brian has been engaging in trollish behavior, I value Zach's the least.
[/quote]
Fixed that for me? :)

BMaurice06

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 03:34:37 AM »
I'm surprised but I'm not that surprised.  Crosswords has a good format but may be suffering from the same problem as Jeopardy did back in '84; it may be too hard for the mass market even in this era.  As for Temptation, it may be the fact that it was marketed too much as a home shopping show and that the show was severely discomboulated from what Sale was back in the day.  Or I think it may be that a lot of station managers simply hated game shows enough to banish them to less popular time periods.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 04:16:32 AM »
At least I don't watch TMZ let alone hear what goes on at TMZ.com.  Seriously, if MediaWeek wants to count NYC/LA numbers more so than say, Allentown, that's fine by me.  Here in Philly, the 9 AM slot for Crosswords on KYW & the dreadful 3 AM time slot for Temptation over at WTXF certainly don't make for sure-fire hits.  It seems that ever since TV Guide drastically altered its publishing a couple years ago, it's harder to find the show you're looking for in standard print form.  Even if you go online for their schedules, that too becomes a guessing game because you don't know how often they update the schedules on a regular basis.  So, basically whether you see a print listing or an online listing, chances are they're not always set in stone.  That's why I found out when the new shows on my affiliates debuted just a few days before the actual date cerainly doesn't help the average viewer find those shows let alone watch them.

mmb5

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 12:11:55 PM »
The second day ratings are in from Nielsen (via Mediaweek).  Each was down 0.1 from Monday, putting Crosswords at 0.8 and Temptation at 0.5.

Also, for everyone blaming Mediaweek, they are the messenger.  They do not calculate the ratings.  That's Nielsen's job.  And if they calculate ratings as well as they handle web advertising, they're doing a [insert 18 1/2 minute gap here] job.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

uncamark

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
And as Berman said in the article, it's early.  Nothing's going to be decided this week or not until November.  "Crossroads" and "Temptation" have the weakest lineups, but the beauty of syndication is that if you do well enough to cover your costs, you can stick around (see "Feud" revival, entering its ninth season under its third host, against all odds).

I noticed that Berman didn't include Mike and Juliet, who became an official national show this week (they have a [Keith Olbermann] broot to you by[KO] billboard and captioning and fee plugs now).  I realize that the re-tooled with "Apprentice" contestants 'iVillage Live" starts next week (the national generic promos for that show feature Trump saying "If you don't watch, YOU'RE FIRED!"--that's yooge).