Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Challengers  (Read 18404 times)

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
The Challengers
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2010, 05:29:47 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'246772\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 10:50 PM\'][quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'246768\' date=\'Sep 2 2010, 10:31 PM\']There was quite the glut of new games in 1990, wasn't there?[/quote]
It was the nineties, and there was time for it.

/and Klax
//woo PAX Prime Day One tomorrow!
[/quote]

Couldn't resist the Klax joke, could ya?  :P

The Challengers was such an awesome show, top to bottom.  Smart, exciting, and classy, too.  And, of course, Dick Clark.  So sad it only lasted one year.

/I think I know where I wanna go on vacation next year.
//Do you guys think a Game Show Tournament - or its equivalent - would go over well at PAX Prime?
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

tvrandywest

The Challengers
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2010, 01:15:55 PM »
Don't remember if I posted way earlier in this old thread, but don't want to miss the opportunity to again sing Ronnie G's praises!

Great show, wonderfully executed. Stage 9 at Hollywood Center Studios on Las Palmas. An important early gig for me, doing warm-up while Don Morrow announced. Appreciation to Ron for the opportunity, and for coming to my support when a change in warm-up people was pending.

Wonderful memories. Thanks again, Ron!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Clay Zambo

The Challengers
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'246762\' date=\'Sep 3 2010, 01:06 AM\']Bumping this baby in honor of the 20th anniversary of the premiere of The Challengers.[/quote]

Oh, my, yes.  I watched the premiere while unpacking in my first apartment as a newlywed.  Lovely game.
czambo@mac.com

GameShowGuru

The Challengers
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2010, 03:27:40 PM »
I vividly remembered watching this show; I was a senior in high school, and I thought it was a well-executed show; for me it was required watching before dinner (and homework).  Unfortunately, when my local affiliate (WCMH 4, Cols. OH) moved the time slot to 2 a.m. and the producers making The Ultimate Challege a daily part of the show's format halfway through the run, it killed me from watching the show.

I always thought this show was better than Jeopardy! in that the strategy was more in the wagering than in the actual knowledge of the questions themselves.  Or, as I explain to others: Jeopardy! is to spades (card game) what The Challengers (even moreso its predecessor the 3Ws) is to bid whist.

I actually wrote a letter to Dick Clark giving him acolades for his great hosting of "The Challengers" and asked for (and got) an autographed photo of him, albeit about 18 months later.  I think I still have a copy of my letter to him somewhere.  If you're interested in reading it, let me know and I'll scan and post it (as soon as I find it).

Thanks to Ron for creating this great show.  I definately loved it and it is as much a part of my HS senior memories as my in-school experiences were itself.

Bob Zager

The Challengers
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »
The Challengers aired at midnight Monday-Friday on WXYZ-TV (ABC affiliate in Detroit).  However, twenty years ago today, a "Sneak Preview," edition aired that afternoon, in place of one of the local newscasts.  That episode, featured Doak Fairey winning the game, and going on to play a special "Ultimate Challenge," round for $50,000.

From how that played, Doak picked one of two categories shown on the video wall, and had to answer three sub-category questions to win the $50,000.  Each correct answer awarded Doak $1,000, and he only answered two of them correctly.  Because he didn't win the jackpot, $5,000 was added to it.  After a couple of weeks or so, with nobody winning three days in a row, and advancing to the "UC," round, they started adding $1,000 each day to the jackpot, until won!

The very first winner of the "UC," was Lawrence (or Larry at that time) Kaplan, who won $60,000!  In 1999, he and Doak Fairey each appeared on WWTBAM, but Doak didn't make through the "Fastest Finger," round.

More thanks to you for a decent show, Ron Greenburg!

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
The Challengers
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2010, 05:57:32 PM »
I'd like to add to the praises and memories, but just like almost everyone else in the Huntsville, AL market, I had no idea this show even existed until the internet came along.

Come to think of it, the few syndicated game shows of the 1985-1991 period cleared in Huntsville (other than Wheel and Jeopardy!, of course) were, IIRC, Headline Chases, Davidson Squares (only one season tho, also IIRC), syndie Double Dare, syndie Combs Feud, Jackpot '89, and Sweethearts.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Challengers
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2010, 11:48:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'246777\' date=\'Sep 3 2010, 02:29 AM\']//Do you guys think a Game Show Tournament - or its equivalent - would go over well at PAX Prime?[/quote]
No.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Hastin

The Challengers
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2010, 04:17:50 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'246812\' date=\'Sep 3 2010, 08:48 PM\'][quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'246777\' date=\'Sep 3 2010, 02:29 AM\']//Do you guys think a Game Show Tournament - or its equivalent - would go over well at PAX Prime?[/quote]
No.
[/quote]

I don't know about that. At last years PAX, I had presentation games for Jeopardy, Wheel!, and Family Feud - and easily got about a dozen players.

Yes, it wouldn't go off very huge, but there's clear interest for people who want to play.

//This was done to break the chain of Agricola-Power Grid-Settlers-Ticket To Ride-Agricola
-Hastin :)

clemon79

The Challengers
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'246825\' date=\'Sep 4 2010, 01:17 AM\']Yes, it wouldn't go off very huge, but there's clear interest for people who want to play.[/quote]
I think Joe is expecting big-audience-his-own-conference-room-etc., though. And you and I both know that isn't gonna happen.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
The Challengers
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
Well, if the Game Show Tournament was only one game show, and that game show was Starcade . . .
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

The Challengers
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'246885\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 11:47 AM\']Well, if the Game Show Tournament was only one game show, and that game show was Starcade . . .[/quote]
...it would be Round Four of the Omegathon from last night, where the opening act to the concerts was two teams of four playing Foreigner's "Cold as Ice" from Rock Band 3.

davemackey

The Challengers
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2010, 01:41:12 AM »
"The Challengers" was the first place I ever heard of Stanley Newman. Stan is now a very good acquaintance, thanks to the Crossword Tournament.