Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN July Ratings  (Read 6885 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN July Ratings
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 08:04:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'162079\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 04:53 PM\']
It seems funny to me that with Costas and now Michaels on the payroll, they can't get one or both in on the hockey coverage. It would feel far more big league if they did. At least they imported Don Cherry for a couple games.
[/quote]
Actually, I'm fine with Clement anchoring in the studio; he does a great job. And frankly I like my hockey without references to 1800s baseball players.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

GSN July Ratings
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 08:28:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'162079\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 07:53 PM\']
It seems funny to me that with Costas and now Michaels on the payroll, they can't get one or both in on the hockey coverage. It would feel far more big league if they did. At least they imported Don Cherry for a couple games.
[/quote]
Ain't worth the money.  Seriously, does anybody watch or not watch a sporting event because of broadcast talent anymore?  I thought those days went out with Monday Night Football.

Also, Messrs Costas and Michaels are not on a "do anything for the network contract", they're on a "for X million a year I will do the following.  Anything extra is a renegotiation."  When ABC had Michaels do the NBA, he got more money.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
GSN July Ratings
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 08:32:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'162064\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 05:35 PM\']I don't trust ESPN to help them, but there is no really viable alternative if Versus keeps tanking.[/quote]
FSN?  Maybe?

I also don't think NBC is treating hockey more than a fourth-class citizen either.  If CNBC can air game shows, why can't Bravo or any of the other NBCU stations show hockey games?

I'm thinking that Madison Street doesn't really care for hockey and thus gives no real place for it.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

GSN July Ratings
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 08:57:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'162084\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 05:32 PM\']
FSN?
[/quote]
FSN has a bunch of regional presences, and no single national one, despite what Van Earl Wright might think. It would be a step down.

Fedya

GSN July Ratings
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 11:49:56 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'162083\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 08:28 PM\']
Seriously, does anybody watch or not watch a sporting event because of broadcast talent anymore?  I thought those days went out with Monday Night Football.[/quote]
Call me nuts, but I'd much rather listen to the Westwood One announcers of Sunday/Monday night football than John Madden and Joe Theismann.

I also can't stand ESPN's tennis coverage in part because of Pat McEnroe's conflict of interest that causes him to be dishonest regarding his Davis Cup players, and would switch to, say, Eurosport if it were possible to get their coverage here in the States.  (At least we get the US Open Mix on DirecTV, although USA are better at covering more matches than ESPN, who give us the same three or four stars over and over and over....)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

GSN July Ratings
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 12:34:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'162103\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 08:49 PM\']
Call me nuts, but I'd much rather listen to the Westwood One announcers of Sunday/Monday night football than John Madden and Joe Theismann.
[/quote]
I don't think yer nuts. Theismann is utterly insufferable, and I watched a little of the Sunday night game last week, and Madden's been REALLY off. Like, more than usual. He's refined "standing the obvious" to an art form. If I wasn't basking in the Glory of HiDef I would have turned it off.

BrandonFG

GSN July Ratings
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 12:42:35 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'162111\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 12:34 AM\']
I watched a little of the Sunday night game last week, and Madden's been REALLY off. Like, more than usual.
[/quote]
Madden's ridiculously obvious statements always provide a good chuckle for me...okay, replace "chuckle" with "gut-busting laugh". :-P

It's Andrea Kraemer that bugs me. Someone needs to tell her that the sideline interviews are not BaBa WaWa material (i.e. last night's interview with Ben Roth...Roeathlis...Roethlis...the starting QB for the Steelers), and should be quite soft with questions.

/Love the SNF fanfare though...very Roman gladiator-esque
//As opposed to Bill Conti's American Gladiator-esque music
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN July Ratings
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 01:16:33 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'162111\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 12:34 AM\']
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'162103\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 08:49 PM\']
[/quote]
I don't think yer nuts. Theismann is utterly insufferable, and I watched a little of the Sunday night game last week, and Madden's been REALLY off.[/quote]

You won't get any argument from me on either point you two made. Madden's been off for at least a couple years now (last year he had his good and bad points, but it wasn't nearly his best). Theismann may be a pisspoor color commentator, but I still say ESPN got rid of the wrong color guy (not to say that the whole booth doesn't need to be junked).

(Hell, Fedya, give me Harry Kalas and any of the non-Boomer Esiason Westwood One color guys.)

/wonders how this wormed its way into a GSN ratings discussion, but isn't complaining
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Fedya

GSN July Ratings
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 03:02:19 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'162112\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 12:42 AM\']
It's Andrea Kraemer that bugs me.[/quote]
Well, Al....

Someone needs to tell her that the sideline interviews are not BaBa WaWa material
So what kind of tree does Ben Roethlisberger want to be?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

CaseyAbell

GSN July Ratings
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 03:11:39 PM »
Don't know about football, because I usually don't watch. But it's no surprise that GSN is trotting out ancient warhorse Millionaire in prime time again. Another possibly encouraging note is a new season of High Stakes Poker, supposedly GSN's highest rated show in second quarter, 2007. Okay, full disclosure: it's also my favorite show on the network. The premiere of the fourth season featured a hilarious hand between the two nicest guys you'll ever meet. SPOILER ALERT: You can read about the hand here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:29:54 PM by CaseyAbell »

MikeK

• Martha!
GSN July Ratings
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' post=\'162145\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 03:11 PM\']The premiere of the fourth season featured a hilarious hand between the two nicest guys you'll ever meet. SPOILER ALERT: You can read about the hand here.[/quote]
"(Phil) Hellmuth kept quiet……for about half a minute."  There's a first time for everything.

CaseyAbell

GSN July Ratings
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 03:47:21 PM »
Odd thing I noticed about the show - besides Hellmuth's relative restraint, which gradually wore off - was that GSN didn't post the win percentages for a lot of hands. At first it was a little disconcerting, but I actually found the lack of percentages made me concentrate on the gameplay a little more. Don't know if it was just a glitch or a planned departure from usual TV poker.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:47:54 PM by CaseyAbell »

davemackey

GSN July Ratings
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 09:58:08 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'162149\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 03:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' post=\'162145\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 03:11 PM\']The premiere of the fourth season featured a hilarious hand between the two nicest guys you'll ever meet. SPOILER ALERT: You can read about the hand here.[/quote]
"(Phil) Hellmuth kept quiet……for about half a minute."  There's a first time for everything.
[/quote]
Yeah, and maybe next year he'll show up in time to start the Main Event with everyone else.

GS Warehouse

GSN July Ratings
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 12:41:42 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'162149\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 03:37 PM\']
"(Phil) Hellmuth kept quiet……for about half a minute."  There's a first time for everything.[/quote]
Wait a minute.  There was someone at the HSP table louder than Mike "the Mouth" Matsou Mataso Roethlisberger?  Will miracles never cease.

/buy or sell Faith Hill better than P!nk?
//don't get any ideas, Lemon; Faith is spoken for