Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A few GSN Schedule Notes  (Read 34599 times)

Ian Wallis

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2007, 06:18:48 PM »
I guess the new president finally found the keys to the vault. Wonder where Cronin hid them?

Well...this is good news...but it seems the keys only open one part of the vault.

Is anyone here just a little disappointed that the only library they program with any regularity is Goodson-Todman?  Over the years they've run pretty well everything that exists in it.

I wouldn't mind seeing something that they haven't aired that often once in a while...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2007, 06:22:14 PM »
I'm having a hard time remembering Trivia Trap ever being a part of the regular schedule. It's also one we don't talk about much, whereas NYSI gets mentioned quite a bit.

It was on the regular schedule for the first couple of years of the network, but you're right, it's all but disappeared since then...(like a bunch of other shows).
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2007, 08:41:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'161775\' date=\'Aug 23 2007, 04:53 PM\']
As long as one of them either knows something about the history of Nintendo or knows where to look to confirm it, I'm happy.[/quote]
Wikipedia, of course.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2007, 01:23:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'161791\' date=\'Aug 23 2007, 05:18 PM\']
I guess the new president finally found the keys to the vault. Wonder where Cronin hid them?

Well...this is good news...but it seems the keys only open one part of the vault.

Is anyone here just a little disappointed that the only library they program with any regularity is Goodson-Todman?  Over the years they've run pretty well everything that exists in it.

I wouldn't mind seeing something that they haven't aired that often once in a while...
[/quote]

That's the one they have open access to these days.  Anything from Sony, they have to buy now.  If it's really obscure, they have to convert it.  They only buy a small portion because they know that most of the viewership is hit-and-run, there's-nothing-else-on-let's-watch-"Match Game."  Why spend money when only a minute portion of the audience is actually going to watch every single one?

You may not agree with it--I know that hardly any of us do--but that's the rules that prevail.

Ian Wallis

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2007, 05:32:01 PM »
That's the one they have open access to these days. Anything from Sony, they have to buy now. If it's really obscure, they have to convert it. They only buy a small portion because they know that most of the viewership is hit-and-run, there's-nothing-else-on-let's-watch-"Match Game." Why spend money when only a minute portion of the audience is actually going to watch every single one?

You may not agree with it--I know that hardly any of us do--but that's the rules that prevail.

Well, I can understand it, but it's still disappointing.  Mr. Average Viewer out there is probably not going to remember Double Dare any more than Play the Percentages; and I know this show has its fans, but how many times has Body Language been on and off the schedule?

It's good that they're airing some of these shows, but you'd figure if they wanted *somebody* to watch, they'd probably have a better chance with shows more people remember - like Joker's Wild or even Dating Game, rather than Trivia Trap.  What good is it that the other stuff just sits there?

Oh well...I guess we just keep on waiting.

/Maybe the new president will want to air some of these shows
//Anyone here think that Liberty's acquisition of part of GSN was a bad idea?
///Yes, I like to complain sometimes...
NEW LOCATION!!!

Scrabbleship

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2007, 05:39:02 PM »
//Anyone here think that Liberty's acquisition of part of GSN was a bad idea?

YES, YES, A thousand times yes!! The least Sony could have done is allowed Liberty access to their product as a perk of the deal rather than trying to hold Liberty at further gunpoint when money is precious.

/How would GSN have ended up if Sony didn't sell half of it to Liberty?
//Would Liberty have been able to buy the Atlanta Braves and Mr. Bear's CBS affiliate on the cheap if they had no GSN?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2007, 05:54:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'161905\' date=\'Aug 24 2007, 02:39 PM\']
The least Sony could have done is allowed Liberty access to their product as a perk of the deal rather than trying to hold Liberty at further gunpoint when money is precious.
[/quote]
Um, why?

Sony is not a charity. They are in business to make money. If Liberty didn't negotiate the best possible deal they could, that's on them, not on Sony.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'161903\' date=\'Aug 24 2007, 04:32 PM\']
but how many times has Body Language been on and off the schedule? [/quote]
Does anyone know if they've made it through the full run of shows?

It's good that they're airing some of these shows, but you'd figure if they wanted *somebody* to watch, they'd probably have a better chance with shows more people remember - like Joker's Wild or even Dating Game, rather than Trivia Trap.
Perhaps some of the people at GSN realize The Joker's Wild sucks badly.  That said, wasn't it reported that some of the B&E quizzers had some of the lowest ratings on GSN?
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\']How would GSN have ended up if Sony didn't sell half of it to Liberty?[/quote]
You'd probably still have Extreme Gong and Throut and Neck.  Worse yet, it might be off the air.  IIRC, GSN was bleeding red ink when Liberty bought in.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:01:04 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2007, 06:03:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'161912\' date=\'Aug 24 2007, 05:57 PM\']
Perhaps some of the people at GSN realize The Joker's Wild sucks badly.  That said, wasn't it reported that some of the B&E quizzers had some of the lowest ratings on GSN?
[/quote]
Right on the ratings, but I highly disagree with your assessment on how TJW sucks badly, considering the show aired on GSN for quite a few years, and still gets aired on occasion.

Now, was it the most solid game in the world? Not at all. But for you to use a subjective opinion for the reason as to why GSN dropped it is unnecessary.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:03:39 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2007, 06:07:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'161914\' date=\'Aug 24 2007, 03:03 PM\']
But for you to use a subjective opinion for the reason as to why GSN dropped it is unnecessary.
[/quote]
And yet, completely in character.

Whenever Mark goes on one of his little "this show was awful because it had no game and that's why it's not and shouldn't be on" tirades, I enjoy pointing out that his online presence is named after Press Your Luck.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

xavier45

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2007, 06:11:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'161912\' date=\'Aug 24 2007, 05:57 PM\']
Does anyone know if they've made it through the full run of shows?
[/quote]
I believe they made it through a full run back when it was on the weekends in 2001. But since then, they have always stopped airing it while still in the middle of the run.

Ian Wallis

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2007, 06:23:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure they have made it all the way through Body Language at least once.

As for Joker's Wild, it might have been true at one time, but I doubt GSN would have had it on the schedule all those years if it was doing that poorly all the way through.  Even if they were bad for a while, were Trivia Trap's that much better?

I'd love to see how the ratings for some of their other shows have been over the years.  All shows have their ups and downs.  Haven't Match Game's ratings dropped a bit after years on the network?

I always think that if they're willing to bring back certain shows, then they should be considering their whole library.  After all, some of those shows haven't aired in years, and viewing patterns do change.
NEW LOCATION!!!

tpirfan28

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2007, 06:43:27 PM »
Golly....GSN schedules of years past.  Oh how I want them back.... :)

Do we know any individual ratings of shows?  Mainly...I really wanted to compare ratings for TPiR, Match Game and Millionaire (assuming those were the top-3 shows GSN has ever aired).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2007, 07:18:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'161917\' date=\'Aug 24 2007, 05:23 PM\']
Even if they were bad for a while, were Trivia Trap's that much better? [/quote]
Never said they were.  But, as was mentioned earlier, Trivia Trap can be dug out for free, while Sony product can't.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

mmb5

A few GSN Schedule Notes
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2007, 08:06:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'161905\' date=\'Aug 24 2007, 05:39 PM\']
/How would GSN have ended up if Sony didn't sell half of it to Liberty?
[/quote]
GSN very well may not exist.  The deal brought in cash and a much better carriage rate, since at the time Liberty was owned by AT&T, which at that point was still a major player in the cable game.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.