Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's Griffin Tribute Schedule  (Read 35222 times)

Matt Ottinger

GSN's Griffin Tribute Schedule
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 12:26:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'160699\' date=\'Aug 15 2007, 12:02 PM\']
I know it's been previously stated that GSN only has the syndicated shows, but we don't know this for sure.  It's possible that they could have had the NBC shows (and whatever exists from Woolery) all along and just elected not to run them.

It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened...[/quote]
Again, while I appreciate your optimism, it would be just this side of bizarre to find they have been sitting on Woolery episodes and not made an effort to run any of them until now, given the importance of Chuck to the network for so many years.

And while "the first time something like this has happened" depends a lot on exactly what you mean by "this", the truth is that we've always had a pretty good sense of what GSN has in its library, and the rare "one-shots" (pilots, 70s Password, Bob Stewart gems) have been extremely rare indeed.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 12:40:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'160705\' date=\'Aug 15 2007, 11:26 AM\']
And while "the first time something like this has happened" depends a lot on exactly what you mean by "this", the truth is that we've always had a pretty good sense of what GSN has in its library, and the rare "one-shots" (pilots, 70s Password, Bob Stewart gems) have been extremely rare indeed.
[/quote]
I've made my skepticism known, but there is one possibility.  Didn't the 2000th Fleming J! GSN ran come from what was then the Museum of TV and Radio (now the Paley Center for Media)?  If they could play that as a one-shot deal, and knowing that a few scattered Woolery episodes and the 12/13/82 "first official Vanna episode" are in the museum's archives, it is conceivable that GSN could run those (with NBC's blessing, since they're the rightful owners).

Now, how likely that is to happen is where my skepticism comes into play (as it would prolly be easier to license clips from these shows rather than showing the full episodes).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 12:46:44 PM »
Points taken...and to be honest, whichever way it turns out won't really surprise me.

The other times this sort of thing has happened I was thinking of are:  the 2000th Jeopardy that Doug mentioned; the surprise Headline Chasers episode they showed us once because we weren't entirely sure if they actually had that, despite the fact it was part of Griffin's library; the ABC Newlywed Game episodes which we weren't sure if they had or if they existed; and the ABC Password ep they had all along but didn't show for 11 years.

If they do end up showing an entire Woolery episode, it will be a nice surprise.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 01:58:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'160710\' date=\'Aug 15 2007, 12:46 PM\']If they do end up showing an entire Woolery episode, it will be a nice surprise.[/quote]
Agreed.  And Doug's scenario definitely makes the most sense.  Playing angel's advocate for a minute, we know for sure that they're going to air at least a clip, so they're going to some minimal amount of trouble anyway.  The question becomes how far they were willing to go.

xavier45

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 03:25:35 PM »
I really don't know if this means anything, but on the promo for the tribute GSN said "See 10 rare Episodes of Wheel on Saturday" while showing clips of Vanna's first show and Chuck and Susan talking. We shall wait until Saturday to see what they show.

bellbm

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 04:20:24 PM »
It would also be good if they aired Pat Sajak's last daytime episode, since Merv made an appearance on that show.

davidhammett

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'160717\' date=\'Aug 15 2007, 01:58 PM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'160710\' date=\'Aug 15 2007, 12:46 PM\']If they do end up showing an entire Woolery episode, it will be a nice surprise.[/quote]
Agreed.  And Doug's scenario definitely makes the most sense.  Playing angel's advocate for a minute, we know for sure that they're going to air at least a clip, so they're going to some minimal amount of trouble anyway.  The question becomes how far they were willing to go.
[/quote]
My guess... if they're going to some amount of trouble to get a clip, they'll probably get the whole show.  At least that's what I'm hoping please please please please please please please.

sshuffield70

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'160736\' date=\'Aug 15 2007, 04:20 PM\']
It would also be good if they aired Pat Sajak's last daytime episode, since Merv made an appearance on that show.
[/quote]

Well, if they don't, I've seen it several time on YouTube......

then again, one doesn't know how much linger it'll be there.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 10:14:18 PM »
I have new, double-sourced information which at this hour, I cannot share.  Let me just say this, then.

Set.  Your.  TiVos.

PYLW

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 10:15:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'160774\' date=\'Aug 15 2007, 10:14 PM\'] I have new, double-sourced information which at this hour, I cannot share. Let me just say this, then.

Set. Your. TiVos. [/quote]

Would you atleast be able to share at what specific time in the marathon this TiVo setting shocker is, or you can't share that, either?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 10:16:04 PM by PYLW »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'160775\' date=\'Aug 15 2007, 10:15 PM\']
Would you at least be able to share at what specific time in the marathon this TiVo setting shocker is, or you can't share that, either?[/quote]
No, I truly do not have that piece of information.  However, one of them strongly encouraged me to record all five hours.  Since my collection of Wheel episodes is paltry, this seems like a logical thing to do on several levels.

xavier45

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 10:29:23 PM »
This really sounds like a great marathon. And now Matt has gotten me all excited with the "Set Everything" alert. It really is too bad we have to lose a Game Show Great in order to get rare treats.

rebelwrest

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 12:18:55 AM »
Matt, since you commented that the Wheel of Fortune marathon is "set your TiVos" worthy, do you know anything about the Jeopardy marathon? If so, is it "set your TiVos" worthy?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2007, 07:11:15 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'160790\' date=\'Aug 15 2007, 11:18 PM\']
Matt, since you commented that the Wheel of Fortune marathon is "set your TiVos" worthy, do you know anything about the Jeopardy marathon? If so, is it "set your TiVos" worthy?
[/quote]

The J! marathon will be the Million Dollar Masters Tournament. So.......not really.

[Edit: Or whatever that tournament was called....I can't tell one J! tourney from another.]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:18:19 AM by Chief-O »

rebelwrest

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2007, 10:32:43 AM »
I finally got to see the promo for the Wheel of Fortune tribute to Merv Griffin.  I not sure if this is what I saw, but didn't I see a clip from a Wheel of Fortune from 1976 (the same show featured over at Brad Francini's tribute?)
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.