Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's Griffin Tribute Schedule  (Read 35215 times)

The Pyramids

GSN's Griffin Tribute Schedule
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2007, 10:10:45 AM »
Thanks, GSN

aaron sica

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2007, 10:10:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'161084\' date=\'Aug 18 2007, 10:03 AM\']
Are we having fun yet?
[/quote]

Oh, hell yes. Even though Brad Francini's page has this episode kinda recapped, I'm still enjoying watching it.

I have to wonder -- was part of this previously unseen (on GSN) WoF era possible with an OK from Chuck?

catnap1972

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2007, 10:36:53 AM »
For those keeping score but not able to watch, 2nd episode is Vanna's permanent debut from 1982.

snowpeck

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2007, 11:01:48 AM »
And next is the first episode of the nighttime run.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

The Pyramids

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2007, 11:02:55 AM »
I believe this one is credited as the first syndicated show.

rebelwrest

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2007, 11:03:10 AM »
Are my eyes lying to me?  Is the 3rd episode the first syndicated episode?

/Waiter, a bottle of wine to toast GSN, for doing a tribute right!
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Terry K

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2007, 11:07:02 AM »
I believe it is, although Pat doesn't make reference to it.  

I thought though, Round 1 had $1k as the top prize on Syndie WOF though when it started.

aaron sica

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2007, 11:10:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'161096\' date=\'Aug 18 2007, 11:07 AM\']
I believe it is, although Pat doesn't make reference to it.  

I thought though, Round 1 had $1k as the top prize on Syndie WOF though when it started.
[/quote]

I thought so too...But a quick check on Brad Francini's page says that the only differences very early on were the prize wedge in Round 2 and the $5000 space in Round 3.

I didn't start regularly watching WoF until WCBS added the syndie version in January 1984....Then, while home sick able to check out the daytime version, it seemed really cheap. :)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'161083\' date=\'Aug 18 2007, 09:02 AM\']
Waiter?

I'll take a plate of your finest crow.
[/quote]
I'll have what he's having.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

bwood

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
We have the news on at work at lunchtime, and they were talking about Merv. Most of the people (heck, all of them, approx 40) at lunch said that they don't watch Wheel anymore because it's "just not the same as it used to be". I agreed. I mentioned about today's marathon and just about everyone said they would have to watch it because "that was when Wheel Of Fortune was good". Mind you, that most of these people are about 18-30 years old. It's pretty bad when the producers say they want to keep the show "fresh and new" when a good sampling of their target demo doesn't even like the new episodes. I thought it was funny.
Anyway, thanks GSN for this great marathon so far.....and maybe if it does well, Wheel will show back up on the schedule?

TonicBH

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2007, 11:34:50 AM »
It appears episode numero four is the first episode during the "Big Month of Cash" stunt they did.

They're down to six shows... I predict the last five will be a week from Radio City Music Hall, although with what they've given us so far, that's satisfactory.

(Although it'd be the greatest thing ever to see some more daytime Wheel... just hopefully not from the Goen era. :P)
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

catnap1972

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'161099\' date=\'Aug 18 2007, 11:30 AM\']
We have the news on at work at lunchtime, and they were talking about Merv. Most of the people (heck, all of them, approx 40) at lunch said that they don't watch Wheel anymore because it's "just not the same as it used to be". I agreed. I mentioned about today's marathon and just about everyone said they would have to watch it because "that was when Wheel Of Fortune was good". Mind you, that most of these people are about 18-30 years old. It's pretty bad when the producers say they want to keep the show "fresh and new" when a good sampling of their target demo doesn't even like the new episodes. I thought it was funny.

[/quote]

Watching this I was thinking the same thing...when it was about the game and not "mo'money"

bclark71

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2007, 11:36:39 AM »
I'll second what your lunchtime sample says.  Right now, what looks to be a 1988-ish show is on, where Vanna comes out to the strains of "I'm a Wheel Watcher."  This is the point where the show lost it for me.  It's way too over-produced, over-tweaked and too gimmicky.

I enjoyed the first three shows of the marathon, though.  Nice to see "Wheel" when it was good!

Anyway, thanks GSN for this great marathon so far.....and maybe if it does well, Wheel will show back up on the schedule?
[/quote]

Scrabbleship

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2007, 11:44:32 AM »
[quote name=\'bclark71\' post=\'161102\' date=\'Aug 18 2007, 11:36 AM\']
I'll second what your lunchtime sample says.  Right now, what looks to be a 1988-ish show is on, where Vanna comes out to the strains of "I'm a Wheel Watcher."  This is the point where the show lost it for me.  It's way too over-produced, over-tweaked and too gimmicky.

I enjoyed the first three shows of the marathon, though.  Nice to see "Wheel" when it was good![/quote]

I thought it was the first (if not one of the first) all-cash shows from 1987. Given that Jack Clark is still announcing in this episode, it'd have to be in the 1987-88 timeframe before his death.

[/quote]

I fall right in the middle of the 18-30 age bracket and I couldn't agree myself! Wheel lost its interest for me by the mid-90's when the show became so overwrought with gimmicks that it became merely unwatchable. It doesn't help that the competition nowadays (game show and non-game show) and in the recent past helped keep me away.

catnap1972

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2007, 12:03:06 PM »
12 noon brings us a Radio City episode (NYC) from 1988