Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's Griffin Tribute Schedule  (Read 35217 times)

uncamark

GSN's Griffin Tribute Schedule
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 12:50:03 PM »
To make a correction:  NBC has never "owned" "Wheel," as in owning the series.  They may have daytime episodes stored in their vaults, but they've never "owned" the show.  The "Califon Productions" dummy company, which was once controlled by Merv and now is controlled by Sony, has always owned "Wheel."

Unlike the G-T/MGP deal, where GSN got on DigiBeta every single kinescope and tape MGP could retain or they knew was extant (and a copy to keep in their own offices for archival purposes), Sony and GSN have always chosen to be selective on converting what they have in their vaults for airing and only David Schwartz (or his successor, if he's left GSN) and whoever at Sony is in charge of keeping the lists of archival film and video know for sure.  From Matt's indications, they knew something we didn't know and acted on it.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 01:16:22 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'160830\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 11:50 AM\']
To make a correction:  NBC has never "owned" "Wheel," as in owning the series.  They may have daytime episodes stored in their vaults, but they've never "owned" the show.  The "Califon Productions" dummy company, which was once controlled by Merv and now is controlled by Sony, has always owned "Wheel."

Unlike the G-T/MGP deal, where GSN got on DigiBeta every single kinescope and tape MGP could retain or they knew was extant (and a copy to keep in their own offices for archival purposes), Sony and GSN have always chosen to be selective on converting what they have in their vaults for airing and only David Schwartz (or his successor, if he's left GSN) and whoever at Sony is in charge of keeping the lists of archival film and video know for sure.  From Matt's indications, they knew something we didn't know and acted on it.
[/quote]
Good point.  So where was it that I saw that control of the daytime episodes was NBC's (and then CBS' when they ran it), rather than Griffin's?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:01:08 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Mr. Matté

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 05:11:51 PM »
Just when this tribute is about to air, good ol' Comcast blocks GSN from here.

Congratulations, you've just made my list.
(With thanks to Chris L. for first using this in a post a few months ago)

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2007, 05:30:47 PM »
[quote name=\'NewJersey137\' post=\'160871\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 04:11 PM\'] Congratulations, you've just made my list.[/quote]

It takes a little bit more than cable company tomfoolery and shenanigans to make my list

BrandonFG

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2007, 05:43:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'160876\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 05:30 PM\']
It takes a little bit more than cable company tomfoolery and shenanigans to make my list
[/quote]
I lol'd.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Eric Paddon

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2007, 06:24:43 PM »
I'm glad to know we'll finally be seeing two rare gems.    There have been in recent years more emerging off-air recordings of Woolery episodes from the 1979-80 period which has made the overall picture a little less bleak than it was for a long time when the only two out there were 6/20/80 and the Tom Kennedy 11/80 appearance, but anytime we raise the total by just one more, is always welcome.   That goes likewise for any episodes up to 1983 when the Thicke theme was still there (yes, I know, we'll lose it with split screen credits at the end, but at least we'll have it in the opening and going out to commercials!)

JaminJon

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2007, 09:51:34 PM »
Are they really gonna crunch the credits? To me, they shouldnt but, we will have to wait and see

BrandonFG

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2007, 10:03:44 PM »
[quote name=\'JaminJon\' post=\'160917\' date=\'Aug 16 2007, 09:51 PM\']
Are they really gonna crunch the credits? To me, they shouldnt but, we will have to wait and see
[/quote]
They've done it for other celebrity tributes. I'd be really surprised if they decided not to, even for Merv Griffin.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2007, 11:15:32 PM »
My VCR is not taping material properly.  I'll have to borrow a puppy dog pout to hope I can exchange a couple of blank tapes for this.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:16:40 PM by calliaume »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2007, 01:05:01 PM »
They've done it for other celebrity tributes. I'd be really surprised if they decided not to, even for Merv Griffin.

I'd imagine they'll (unfortunately) crunch the credits, but I'm just happy that they're airing a Woolery episode at all, so I can live with it!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2007, 10:02:12 AM »
Waiter?

I'll take a plate of your finest crow.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2007, 10:03:40 AM »
Are we having fun yet?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cweaver

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2007, 10:05:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'161084\' date=\'Aug 18 2007, 09:03 AM\']
Are we having fun yet?
[/quote]

Since I just found out the hard way they took GSN off my cable at  work, too...what exactly am I missing?

snowpeck

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2007, 10:08:18 AM »
At this moment, (according to the info my contact gave me) episode #368 from 1976 with Chuck and Susan and Alan Thicke's groovy theme.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Scrabbleship

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2007, 10:08:53 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'161085\' date=\'Aug 18 2007, 10:05 AM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'161084\' date=\'Aug 18 2007, 09:03 AM\']
Are we having fun yet?
[/quote]

Since I just found out the hard way they took GSN off my cable at  work, too...what exactly am I missing?
[/quote]

Woolery Wheel from 1976.