Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's Griffin Tribute Schedule  (Read 35517 times)

bwood

GSN's Griffin Tribute Schedule
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2007, 06:38:17 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'161204\' date=\'Aug 18 2007, 11:58 PM\']
I'm waiting for two things at this point: bwood's friends reactions to the marathon (although it was a REALLY nice day around here) and the ratings for this.
[/quote]

Well, the verdict is in (as far as my co-workers go). All that watched it enjoyed it very much. They all even said that they even liked the '97 episodes (which I can agree, it was still watchable then, no million colors of light, etc.). Their statements all still stand as well "It was Wheel when Wheel was good".
Of course, not everyone sat down and watched it all the way through (it WAS a very nice day, I was even out for a while with TiVo rolling), they mostly just watched it in bits and pieces (episode here, episode there) but all agreed that they would watch classic episodes regularly if it returned to GSN's schedule.
Most of them never knew Woolery hosted Wheel, and those that saw it said they enjoyed it. Some of the "young folk" were shocked by the shopping too, and I had to explain that. One guy even said that he missed the Woolery ep and wanted to know if he could have a tape of it because he wanted to watch it, I told him I'd give him a copy. He's pretty much your average Joe Plinko too, so I was shocked. But hey, I'll do anything to spread the game show "fever".
I would also like to know the ratings, due to the fact that a majority of the people at work watched it, and I also personally know people who hardly EVER have GSN on, that were watching this marathon Saturday.

tpirfan28

« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2007, 06:43:27 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'161399\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 05:49 PM\']
If anyone recorded it to DVR, feel free to e-mail me and arrange a trade...was also away from home and couldn't do so myself, but it def sounds like a keeper.

Chuck Donegan (The Impressed "Chuckie Baby")
[/quote]
Why doesn't that surprise me?  :)

I can assume that the J! episodes were the M$M tourney?

I love how GSN gave a damn about the Wheel episodes, but didn't about J!.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

xavier45

« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2007, 07:06:10 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'161403\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 06:43 PM\']
I can assume that the J! episodes were the M$M tourney?[/quote]

Yep, they showed all ten episodes of the tourney.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2007, 07:28:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'161403\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 06:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'161399\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 05:49 PM\']
If anyone recorded it to DVR, feel free to e-mail me and arrange a trade...was also away from home and couldn't do so myself, but it def sounds like a keeper.

Chuck Donegan (The Impressed "Chuckie Baby")
[/quote]
Why doesn't that surprise me?  :)

I can assume that the J! episodes were the M$M tourney?[/quote]

Right you are!!!

I love how GSN gave a damn about the Wheel episodes, but didn't about J!.

They lazed out on J!, but had to work for Wheel. Some other J! could have worked--one of the few Fleming episodes they have, Trebek's first, some of the big winners, April Fools '97, etc--but it's GSN's loss...

trainman

« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2007, 07:40:29 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'161339\' date=\'Aug 19 2007, 11:16 PM\']
Unfortunately, it's a DirecTV TiVo which doesn't have the same capabilities as the normal stand-alones.
[/quote]

A little late for you now, but it might be useful for future GSN marathons:  if you're comfortable with the idea of opening up your TiVo, you can follow the TiVo Zipper hack procedure , which gives TiVo Desktop-esque functionality to the DirecTV TiVos (among other things).
trainman is a man of trains

Jay Temple

« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2007, 07:48:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'161410\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 06:28 PM\']They lazed out on J!, but had to work for Wheel. Some other J! could have worked--one of the few Fleming episodes they have, Trebek's first, some of the big winners, April Fools '97, etc--but it's GSN's loss...
[/quote]
And ours. Considering what I've come to expect, I would have been content with just the two April Fool's Day shows.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

bwood

« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2007, 10:24:39 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'161414\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 07:40 PM\']
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'161339\' date=\'Aug 19 2007, 11:16 PM\']
Unfortunately, it's a DirecTV TiVo which doesn't have the same capabilities as the normal stand-alones.
[/quote]

A little late for you now, but it might be useful for future GSN marathons:  if you're comfortable with the idea of opening up your TiVo, you can follow the TiVo Zipper hack procedure , which gives TiVo Desktop-esque functionality to the DirecTV TiVos (among other things).
[/quote]

In early '08 DirecTV/TiVo is supposed to send out a software upgrade to add some new features/enhancements to the DirecTivo. I don't have the specifics on what they are in front of me at this time, but I'm sure it's on their site in the press releases. I don't think it was anything too fancy, but anything is better than what is offered now as far as features go (when put up against the standalones). I do remember the "scheduling recordings via internet" was an upgrade that will be included, which is nice.

dzinkin

« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2007, 10:27:41 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'161453\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 10:24 PM\']
In early '08 DirecTV/TiVo is supposed to send out a software upgrade to add some new features/enhancements to the DirecTivo. I don't have the specifics on what they are in front of me at this time, but I'm sure it's on their site in the press releases.
[/quote]
And that press release may be found here.

uncamark

« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2007, 04:32:27 PM »
One of the things I noticed which get me off track on trying the date the Woolery show was Susan coming out with the hand mike at the top of the show--at the beginning of the run, she intro'd the contestants with a hand mike at the top, standing to the right of the set, but soon they were just having her do the bow and turn.  I'm wondering if she was unhappy that they had run out of time at the end too many times lately and wanted to make sure she got her talking time in.

And then there were no prize mentions at all in the opening, which had been the one constant in all "Wheel" openings until the early 90s--just "Just look at this studio filled with fabulous prizes--valued at over..."  Interesting since it seemed to me for years that "Wheel" was the only game show where the opening got longer over the years rather than shorter (until the late 90s, of course).

And I had forgotten Pat's "come here baby" kiss of Vanna on the last network show (and Merv's cameo).

And I don't think that when Pat said on her first permanent show that he'd be looking forward to working with Vanna in the days, months and years ahead that it would be 25 years and counting.

Nice job, GSN.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2007, 04:37:29 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'161511\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 03:32 PM\']
And I had forgotten Pat's "come here baby" kiss of Vanna on the last network show (and Merv's cameo).
[/quote]
Well, his last network WoF show, anyway (there were still a couple of years left in the daytime run).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

davemackey

« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2007, 05:43:19 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'161512\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 04:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'161511\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 03:32 PM\']
[/quote]
Well, his last network WoF show, anyway (there were still a couple of years left in the daytime run).
[/quote]
I don't blame any of you for forgetting that Rolf Benirschke took over the following Monday.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2007, 05:48:30 PM »
I don't blame any of you for forgetting that Rolf Benirschke took over the following Monday.

I'll lay odds that we never see his run (or Goen's, for that matter) on GSN :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvwxman

« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2007, 05:49:05 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'161517\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 05:43 PM\']
[/quote]
Speaking of which:

Watching that last Pat NBC show over the weekend, I was surprised to see that Pat did not mention Rolf by name, even suggesting that it was a big surprise.

My question for the folks-in-the-know (NOT the folks-in-the-guessing), how far was this ep taped before the next batch with Rolf started...and was there back-story? Was there some other host who bailed late in the hiatus to leave them scrambling , wondering on air who the replacement would be?

Just wondering, tis all.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

mmb5

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2007, 11:04:50 PM »
Facts I was able to discern via NewpspaerArchive.  Other people may be able to fill in gaps

Feb 24 1988 - first announcement of Sajak's CBS show
May 1988 - Pat still taping daytime shows (from an article about a contestant)
Jul 27 1988 - Jack Clark dies
Nov 11 1988 - article mentions Tim Brando as a possibility
Nov 20 1988 - Goddess of Love airs
Dec 13 1988 - first announcement of Benirschke
Dec 14 1988 - first taping of Benirschke
Jan 9 1989 - first airing of Benirschke
May 28 1989 - a UPI article mentions that Roger Twibell was the #2 choice for the WOF job after Benirschke.  I've never heard that one before.
June 5 1989 - NBC announces cancellation of Wheel
June 30 1989 - last airing of Benirschke, one article mentions new host possibilities include Pat Finn, John Davidson, Chuck Henry and Bob Eubanks
July 8 1989 - first announcement of Goen
July 17 1989 - first airing of Goen
April 9 1990 - last Pat Sajak show

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2007, 05:24:54 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'161561\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 10:04 PM\']
June 30 1989 - last airing of Benirschke, one article mentions new host possibilities include Pat Finn, John Davidson, Chuck Henry and Bob Eubanks
[/quote]
Now those are/were some interesting possibilities.

While Rolf was nothing special, that's for sure, I don't think he was nearly as bad as people make him out to be.  How many times did Bert Convy screw something up?
I'll lay odds that we never see his run (or Goen's, for that matter) on GSN :)
I'll say that GSN throws in a Goen episode sometime in the distant future to promote Goen after Woolery disappears.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 05:26:46 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13