Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's Griffin Tribute Schedule  (Read 35230 times)

Ian Wallis

GSN's Griffin Tribute Schedule
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2007, 12:33:05 PM »
Charlie's great but hearing Jack Clark again reminded me of why he is my favorite game show announcer.

...and hearing "Frisco Disco" (the 1978 Jeopardy theme) play in the background was a nice treat too!  Always been among my favorite themes.

So GSN aired 3 NBC episodes - I know there's been some debate about this but I still have a hard time believing they wouldn't have had at least the Sajak daytime episodes all along.  They are part of the Griffin library.  Maybe they just decided to go with the syndicated shows because of the bigger money and high ratings they generated when first run.  Earlier in the thread it was mentioned the daytime episodes "seemed cheap".

Since GSN aired Wheel from when they went on the air, they did do a similar thing with a couple of their other shows.  An example, it was always known the last year of Joker's Wild was in existence, yet GSN went with the syndicated version of that show and never touched the daytime version until the '72 episodes were found in 2000.  Maybe they just figured the syndie version of Wheel might get better ratings(?)

I have no doubt they made special arrangements to acquire the Woolery episode.

Either way, it was nice of GSN to do this.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvwxman

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2007, 12:35:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'161243\' date=\'Aug 19 2007, 12:33 PM\']

[/quote]
Furthermore, I'm convinced the only reason they did this was because Chuck was involved, and he's their main star. Had Wheel started with Kookie, I'm speculating they would have just went with Pat.

/Go get "Scrabble" then. That's a word game that I'd imagine would still hold up well 20 years later as a good playalong.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 12:39:36 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Scrabbleship

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2007, 01:43:51 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'161244\' date=\'Aug 19 2007, 12:35 PM\']

[/quote]
Furthermore, I'm convinced the only reason they did this was because Chuck was involved, and he's their main star. Had Wheel started with Kookie, I'm speculating they would have just went with Pat.

/Go get "Scrabble" then. That's a word game that I'd imagine would still hold up well 20 years later as a good playalong.
[/quote]

I agree on that especially with this little factoid: As a little over a day ago, Scrabble now is the sole Chuck-hosted national game that hasn't been run on GSN in some form. Given Fremantle owns the rights to Scrabble and GSN deals with Fremantle for the G-T shows and PYL, it wouldn't be that hard if doing was easier than saying.

Yogi007

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2007, 05:32:27 PM »
It was really nice to see the older episodes to remind me of how it was years ago.  I never had a chance to see the April Fools show or the 4,000th show before, so that was a nice treat for me.  My wife was watching the Chuck episode and she said, "I didn't know he was on Wheel of Fortune".  (Yep, she said that.)  Too bad GSN didn't treat Jeopardy like that today.  Oh well, can't have everything.
sarcasm included at no extra charge

The Pyramids

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2007, 07:22:03 PM »
Charlie's great but hearing Jack Clark again reminded me of why he is my favorite game show announcer.

...and hearing "Frisco Disco" (the 1978 Jeopardy theme) play in the background was a nice treat too!  Always been among my favorite themes.

So GSN aired 3 NBC episodes - I know there's been some debate about this but I still have a hard time believing they wouldn't have had at least the Sajak daytime episodes all along.  They are part of the Griffin library.  Maybe they just decided to go with the syndicated shows because of the bigger money and high ratings they generated when first run.  Earlier in the thread it was mentioned the daytime episodes "seemed cheap".

[/quote]

My thought is that the syndicated show was rerun because they are self contained.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »
It was really nice to see the older episodes to remind me of how it was years ago.

Did you catch that four-digit scoreboard?  I guess at that time they never thought anyone would actually win over $10,000 in one show.

Agreed about Scrabble - if GSN is going to acquire any other "name" shows, this should be the one.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chad1m

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2007, 01:48:57 AM »
Is there anyone who has put these WOF episodes on their computer or plans to BitTorrent them or anything? I'd love to put these on DVD, but I can't get them from TiVo --> VHS --> Computer.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2007, 02:10:06 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'161335\' date=\'Aug 19 2007, 10:48 PM\']
but I can't get them from TiVo --> VHS --> Computer.
[/quote]
What kind of Tivo is it? If it''s a Series 2, you can run Tivo Desktop and transfer them directly, no dicking around with a VCR:

http://tivo.com/mytivo/domore/tivotogo/index.html
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2007, 02:16:54 AM »
Unfortunately, it's a DirecTV TiVo which doesn't have the same capabilities as the normal stand-alones.

clemon79

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2007, 02:32:28 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'161339\' date=\'Aug 19 2007, 11:16 PM\']
Unfortunately, it's a DirecTV TiVo which doesn't have the same capabilities as the normal stand-alones.
[/quote]
You are correct, sir. In that case...

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/5729/nosoupforyoumk8.png

chad1m

« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2007, 02:35:39 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'161340\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 02:32 AM\']
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'161339\' date=\'Aug 19 2007, 11:16 PM\']
[/quote]
You are correct, sir. In that case...

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/5729/nosoupforyoumk8.png
[/quote]

That is correct...

...unless a faithful GSF user comes through. ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:35:49 AM by chad1m »

clemon79

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2007, 02:37:51 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'161341\' date=\'Aug 19 2007, 11:35 PM\']
That is correct...

...unless a faithful GSF user comes through. ;)
[/quote]
Well, I meant with regard to getting Tivo Desktop working with your unit, but yeah. :)

chad1m

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2007, 02:41:00 AM »
I've been thinking about get a system for my room so that I can get all of the normal (extra for me) capabilities, but I really don't feel like paying a monthly fee when we've got the basic thing already.

clemon79

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2007, 03:12:55 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'161344\' date=\'Aug 19 2007, 11:41 PM\']
I've been thinking about get a system for my room so that I can get all of the normal (extra for me) capabilities, but I really don't feel like paying a monthly fee when we've got the basic thing already.
[/quote]
Especially when yer paying six bucks a month as opposed to the $13 the rest of us are. :)

ChuckNet

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »
If anyone recorded it to DVR, feel free to e-mail me and arrange a trade...was also away from home and couldn't do so myself, but it def sounds like a keeper.

Chuck Donegan (The Impressed "Chuckie Baby")