Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would You Make a Good Host?  (Read 8188 times)

cweaver

Would You Make a Good Host?
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2007, 03:42:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'160393\' date=\'Aug 12 2007, 10:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'160392\' date=\'Aug 12 2007, 08:45 PM\']
(Hollywood) Squares was a format dying to break any man not up to the challenge and Marshall did it for 15 years.
[/quote]
Elaborate? It sounds awfully fannish to say this, so I invite you to sell me.
[/quote]

If we rarely heard a peep from the squares it'd be different, perhaps more like 1 Vs. 100, but Marshall always had the game, the usual TV production stuff (time running out, ad libbing needs, etc.) and the egos and mouths of nine celebrities, to deal with, and still had to make the contestants feel like they mattered.  (Not to mention the audience.)  He stands out doing this especially well in the audio-only hour long show that's floating around, in his handling of the guy with the funny laugh. My feeling is that personality had a lot to do with what the host needed for that show.  Considering this was Peter Marshall's first attempt at hosting a game show, and that he stayed around for 15 years, I would have to believe talent would have a lot to do with it too.

My feeling is that Bert Parks and Jon Bauman showed that trying to make the wrong personality keep all of that together would, at worst, ruin the show and at best, put a serious drag on it.  Some people have also made that argument about John Davidson but I never thought he was that bad.  And I always felt Davidson and Tom Bergeron were hired, at least partly, because the producers were looking for Peter Marshall "types" or at least, in Bergeron's case, an edgier variation.

What would have happened if Peter Marshall and Bob Barker had swapped places?  Perhaps Barker would've excelled on Squares and/or Marshall would've sucked on Price (or perhaps not either way), but I feel history has shown us not just anyone can host either of those shows.    

I wouldn't call myself a "fan boy" or anything.  Frankly I never really knew what made Peter Marshall special until I saw Parks and Bauman do the job, then watched him again.  That was the whole point, he made it look easier than it probably was.  I'm not even the first person in this thread to make that claim.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 05:10:46 PM by cweaver »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2007, 05:16:26 PM »
Seems reasonable. I wasn't saying that Marshall wasn't a good host; he certainly was, but I was interested in hearing from the man I consider to be the foremost Squares authority as to why you thought the format was so difficult, to see if you had a reasoned argument for it.

And you did. So I'm sold. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2007, 07:16:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'160452\' date=\'Aug 13 2007, 04:16 PM\']
Seems reasonable. I wasn't saying that Marshall wasn't a good host; he certainly was, but I was interested in hearing from the man I consider to be the foremost Squares authority as to why you thought the format was so difficult, to see if you had a reasoned argument for it.

[/quote]

And Dixon didn't even mention Peter's wonderful way of calling the female contestants and stars "love."

cweaver

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2007, 01:55:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'160452\' date=\'Aug 13 2007, 04:16 PM\']
I was interested in hearing from the man I consider to be the foremost Squares authority as to why you thought the format was so difficult, to see if you had a reasoned argument for it.

[/quote]

(takes hat off, bows) Thank you, sir.  :)

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2007, 02:12:08 PM »
On the matter of hosting...

I can hold my tongue when people give bad answers at Family Feud (and there have been some bad ones) or not laugh out loud at answers at College Bowl. But the one time I truly lost my compusure was at our school version of The price is Right...the models brought the IUFB's out by walking across the floor, past the announcer to contestant's row, past me (where she slyly slid me the price tag) and to a small platform where she would stand with the prize and smile. The model for THIS IUFB decides to play a little trick on me...she does all these things, as asked, and slyly gave me her Price tag...after removing it from between her breasts.

The entire audience was in stitches. After we all had a good laugh, I said: "What show is this again?"
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'160572\' date=\'Aug 14 2007, 11:12 AM\']
The model for THIS IUFB decides to play a little trick on me...she does all these things, as asked, and slyly gave me her Price tag...after removing it from between her breasts.
[/quote]
That, sir, is an Art Fern moment waiting to happen. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe