Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would You Make a Good Host?  (Read 8253 times)

Tim L

Would You Make a Good Host?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 11:08:28 PM »
Good Topic:
     In spite of "playing" Game show host when I was a kid..Mostly Cullen TPIR..And with the fact of doing occasional preaching, Acting in Christmas pageants and solo singing in my own and other local churches (I do ok, but George Beverly Shea hasnt a thing to worry about)  My appearance and voice would probably count me out as a Game Show Host..Fun to think about though..
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:09:40 PM by Tim L »

HYHYBT

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 12:51:16 AM »
If they ever want someone who sounds like a higher-pitched Louie Anderson, I'll gladly take the job. Might even get competent at it if the show survived long enough to kill my shyness.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 05:26:52 AM »
I have the vocal abilities to host a show.  The big rub is my lools.  My hair is graying faster than it should.  Plus. my facial features are really not that great.  Also, being visually-impaired eliminates any Q&A type of show unless I get special accomidations to counter my handicap.  In short, no such luck right now.  Maybe in another life.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 08:22:29 AM »
I'd be a rather poor host but I'd be a decent author.  Tell me what I have to work with and I'll make something nice out of it.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 10:36:50 AM »
I used to think so (the joyous ego of youth....), but today, I'm not as sure. I still host game events for parties, church, and like a lot of you, got the chance to do high school classroom versions of the then-popular shows. Then I did the two cable shows. Geno has seen them, and as a wise person once wrote, better someone else toot your horn than you. In each of these situations, I was in total control - the material, the rules, and the like. In the big leagues, I'd have to learn to take instruction from the people who are professionals and not try to run the show. That takes a lot of faith, because even though you may have the core talent, the producers decide how they want it to come across. What was the description Maxene Fabe wrote on how Lyn Bolen wanted Jim MacKrell to come across..."Nice, but dangerous when drunk"?
I wouldn't mind trying in a syndie shot first - but the moment I forget that the show is about the game and the contestants, not about me, I'll be in trouble.
True, I'd have to keep dropping inches (a work in progress), but I don't see a big problem with having a little snow on the roof. Depending on the format, it could come across as being a bit more "seasoned" than being some yammering pretty-boy.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 10:53:55 AM »
While I'd like to think I could do it if asked, I think Central Casting would have difficulty with my voice quality (it's more quirky characterish as opposed to Melvin Mellifluous).

Although I could do a few commercials (and even keep the peanut butter in the jar).  :)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Don Howard

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 11:09:56 AM »
No way. I'm absolutely terrible at keeping my facial expressions under control when someone does/says something dumb and/or annoying. I'd like to think I'd do an acceptable job of announcing, though. But that's up to others to judge. Lotsa people believe they're very good at things that they are really poor at on their best day.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »
I think I would.

Those who've been to the GSC and seen me do my games know I have the hosting chops.  I do believe I need to work on my contestant interaction (although eight hours a night on a baccarat table will develop one's people skills in a hurry, methinks...which is what I do for a living right now), but I think I would whoop some arse, given the opportunity.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

uncamark

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 11:55:23 AM »
When I'm home watching the TV and playing along as host (and yes, I do it--I live by myself and am pitiful), I'm pretty damn good.  Even though it's not a game show, I kick Adrianna Costa's butt every time I watch "On the Lot."

In person, it would be another story, although I have memories of the one GSC I attended in the day where my "Big Showdown" contestants were having, uh, difficulties with the questions I had been given to read.  I looked at the next question in the pack and ad libbed, "Oh, they aren't going to get this one, either."  If it was for real, I'd probably get really nervous.

Perhaps I'd be one of those better as an announcer.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 12:00:03 PM »
Well...I hosted Family Feud every year for 3 years in College, College Bowl reader both locally and regionally, and The price is Right once (Which not to toot my own horn, I won a programming award for). People say I'm personable, funny, and say "I'm in my element" when I host shows. I even got called by other departments to host a TTTT/WML hybrid for Women's History Month, and I can announce as well...

So I would say....maybe? :-)

/Price is right is harder to host than Family Feud, but slower than College Bowl.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:02:26 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

mmb5

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 12:20:33 PM »
Sorry I have to rain on the self-delusional parade here, but I held the same beliefs about my abilities.  I've written a few games, I've read at least a thousand of quiz bowl matches, I'm usually the MC of company functions, I've done the game show round for 8 years, etc.  And I can honestly say without a doubt that I am unqualified to be a game show host, and without some serious training, probably never will be.

Ask these questions to yourself:

--How many of you have tried your game under lights? (the first time I did a performance under stage lights I thought I would never see again)
--How many of you have tried to get a game to a set time?
--How many of you have worked in a multi-camera environment?
--How many of you have tried to operate as being just the host, and not the director/producer? (e.g.: it's not your baby)
--How many of you have done this day in and day out instead of one special occasion (e.g.: can you make your 432nd show just as snazzy and energetic as the first)?

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 12:57:42 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'159776\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 09:20 AM\']
Sorry I have to rain on the self-delusional parade here,
[/quote]
Thank God, finally, some words of common sense.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 01:08:57 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'159776\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 12:20 PM\']
--How many of you have tried your game under lights? (the first time I did a performance under stage lights I thought I would never see again)
--How many of you have tried to operate as being just the host, and not the director/producer? (e.g.: it's not your baby)
--How many of you have done this day in and day out instead of one special occasion (e.g.: can you make your 432nd show just as snazzy and energetic as the first)?
[/quote]Since you asked, I shall answer.

- Yes, my Jeopardy productions were under the lights, and in front of an audience of about 1,000.  Kinda scary, but something that I can get used to.

- We had to put the J! production into a 70-minute timeframe, so not really.

- One camera was used, but active camera-jumping was not needed.

- I was host, not any of the others.

- I did it twice.  Donno if I can judge myself on that one yet.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »
If you can emcee a show and let your own personality come through, rather than coming across as a cheap, imitation Bob Barker (or whomever), you're way ahead of the game.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2007, 07:37:47 PM »
You forgot "memorizing language".

The producer gives you a script. He wants you to recite the script as written during each show, because there are cues for the director in it. BUT, each time you recite it you have to make it seem fresh:

"Each of you will have a showcase of beautiful prizes to bid on. The one of you who bids closer to the actual retail price ..."