Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would You Make a Good Host?  (Read 8239 times)

rebelwrest

Would You Make a Good Host?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 02:53:01 PM »
I think I would make a good game show host, but I need a lot more experience first.  I have emceed a couple of events, done 4 stand-up comedy acts, tried to pilot Definition for my college television station (manager said he loved the concept but students wanted to do something else), and hosted my treasure hunts 5 times.  After each time I emceed, I feel like I could have done better, but everyone tells me I was fantastic at the job (even one of the best Elton John impersonators complimented me saying that I was one of the best emceeing jobs for his performances he's ever seen!)  So I think I got the talent, but the closest to game show stardom is Definition for local cable access station.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

tpirfan28

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 02:57:35 PM »
Interesting question.

My only "hosting" experience is a couple of games of Jeopardy! at my high school a couple of years ago.  Reviews were pretty good of my job, and I thought I did acceptable.  I'm definitely not a Pat Kiernan or Alex Trebek, though.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 03:45:49 PM »
In a word, no.  I am one of the shyest and least talkative people you will ever meet.  Foot-in-mouth disorder doesn't help much either.  Plus I wouldn't be able to read questions without fumbling up every third word.
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

dzinkin

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 04:09:30 PM »
I am absolutely positive that I could host any game show currently on the air.  I'd probably last only around two minutes, but I could do it for those two. :-)

Seriously, my game show "hosting" experience consists of eleven episodes of Who Wants to Be a Moronionaire and some time with various home games as a kid, and it's probably best that it stay that way.

davewalls

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 04:17:02 PM »
While I think it might be arrogant of me to proclaim that I could do it right now, I've been working extremely hard on my presentation skills over the last few years, and I truly believe that if I were to get the opportunity, I could take the ball and run with it.

I think working in AC last year gave me the confidence boost I needed. I still don't think I'm near Randy West's league at all in my work, but I'd like to think that I'm working hard enough to a somewhat respectable level.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 04:21:12 PM »
Might as well throw my opinion in now--its been fun seeing what others have said.

It a nutshell, no, I couldn't host.  While I do have the ability to ad-lib somewhat and have the occasional one-liner, I think my "looks" and voice would be detrimental. Also, I probably wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut when someone does something dumb.  I have enough of a problem at work when I see some moron split their 20 against a 7.  Patronizing someone on television probably wouldn't come across very well.

Couldn't have gone with Howie, could you?
Significantly less fun than making fun of a mod!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:33:04 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »
Even putting aside issues of appearance and experience, no. If nothing else, I would be guaranteed to start stammering at some point.

I have a fear of public speaking, but I don't really have stage fright. Having motions to go through as a host would make it feel more like a job and less like a performance, I think.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »
Having done a couple of shows in college, I now know that I would be an okay host in a heavily game-driven format (for example, Jeopardy! or Pyramid), but would be terrible at any contestant-driven format (for example, The Price is Right or Let's Make a Deal). My contestant interaction is consistently awkward -- my best episodes were the ones where the game ran a little long and we had to edit out the interviews.

--
Scott Robinson

Jay Temple

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
I could probably host my two favorite shows, J! and Pyramid. On the former, my strength would be my ability to read the clues well. I'd be better as an announcer. (My dream job would be writer/producer.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

chad1m

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 07:20:16 PM »
I've always wanted to host, and judging by my performances at some game show parties I've held/attended, I think I could do a fair job.

whewfan

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 07:34:57 PM »
I would like to think I'd be a better host now that I am thinner than I was when I did my Whew! production.
I've had a fair amount of training with acting, improvisation and comedy since. I think if the show has a loose, undemanding format with comedy elements, I might do fine with it. I think Pass the Buck would be fun for me to do.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 07:43:12 PM »
At the risk of being a name dropper, my first emceeing experience (as an adult) was in front of Mark Goodson and Frank Wayne, demonstrating the pricing games that later became Switch? and Line 'Em Up. I did a creditable job and Frank and Goodson were more interested in the workings of the games than my performance, but it's just as well that I work behind the cameras and not in front.

Chief-O

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 07:50:05 PM »
The above posted description of how Mr. C prefers to work also explains me pretty well. I'm just fine behind the cameras.

Honestly, though, I think I could work in some Pat Kiernan-type role.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:52:10 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

DrBear

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 07:54:38 PM »
Fiddle with the sound controls to make my high, nasal voice more deep and threatening, and I could have been the Inquizitor. Otherwise, not so much.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

alfonzos

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 09:10:42 PM »
I would be great. There is no question in my mind.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos