Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would You Make a Good Host?  (Read 8250 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Would You Make a Good Host?
« on: August 05, 2007, 06:39:33 AM »
Simply put: Do you think you could make a good overall emcee?  Without giving any specifics of formats or rules, do you think you have the personality and versatility of some of the greater emcees?

Edit: And, if offered, would you even accept the position?

I'll post my thoughts later.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:03:38 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 09:22:43 AM »
It's something that was a career goal of mine when I was a kid, and I have fullfilled part of that ambition by doing radio. But unless guys with icepick scars suddenly become sexy, I'd have to be like Pat Kiernan and be an "unseen" host.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mcsittel

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 09:53:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'159650\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 08:22 AM\']
It's something that was a career goal of mine when I was a kid, and I have fullfilled part of that ambition by doing radio. But unless guys with icepick scars suddenly become sexy, I'd have to be like Pat Kiernan and be an "unseen" host.
[/quote]

The network would go broke on makeup to keep the glare off my bald pate from damaging the cameras. Plus I was born with "a face perfect for radio".

Mike Tennant

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 09:55:49 AM »
Yes.  I've hosted various games (some I created, some existing formats, hard quizzes and humorous games) at church, work, and other events, and everyone is always impressed with my ability to think on my feet (sometimes with contestants who like to heckle the host), be funny, and still keep the game moving along nicely.  People have even commented how I know the rules to any board games (game shows or otherwise) I bring out to play and manage to "host" those games and keep them moving as well.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:59:07 AM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'159653\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 09:53 AM\']
The network would go broke on makeup to keep the glare off my bald pate from damaging the cameras.
[/quote]
Hasn't stopped Ottinger.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
Absolutely yes, although I need to tone my attitude down.

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 10:40:58 AM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'159657\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 10:33 AM\']
[/quote]
The words "low hanging fruit" come to mind for some reason.  Not sure why.

tvwxman

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 11:27:16 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'159658\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 10:40 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
I LOL'ed.

Oh, and yes, I would. It's why I got into television.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 01:10:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'159656\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 09:59 AM\']
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'159653\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 09:53 AM\']
The network would go broke on makeup to keep the glare off my bald pate from damaging the cameras.
[/quote]Hasn't stopped Ottinger.[/quote]
Couldn't have gone with Howie, could you?

I'm lucky that I've actually been paid to host a show for a long time now, and even with that experience (and the accompanying local adulation), I'm not sure how good I'd be at the big leagues.  For one thing, having done it as long as I have, I know my weaknesses.

Still doesn't mean I wouldn't love a shot...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

geno57

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 01:16:03 PM »
I'd make a much better announcer than host, although I could probably handle certain formats fairly well as MC.  (Concentration, Match Game, Password.)

beatlefreak84

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 01:19:52 PM »
I think I could do a decent job, given the right format.  I'd be terrible at a fast-moving quiz show like J! or SS, but I think I could be halfway decent doing a show like WOF, PYL, or even SOTC.  Basically, I would need a show where I can have some fun and cheer/agonize along with the contestants, and I think these shows would be perfect for that.

Granted, my sole "hosting" experience has been in front of a class (we were done for the semester with a day to spare, so we staged a "Hit Man" game; they seemed to enjoy it...), so doing it for real would be a completely different animal.  But, I always used to practice in front of my mirror as a kid, and I sometimes still do...I love my teaching job, but, if they told me Drew Carey wasn't working out with TPIR and wanted to give me an audition, I'd gladly jump...;)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'159658\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 07:40 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
I, for one, prefer far more sport from my hunt.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLW

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 02:10:33 PM »
I think I'd be pretty bad...have ALWAYS had stagefright. I wouldn't do that good announcing game shows, either, my voice isn't that announcer-ish, no matter how I try to make it sound. I guess my perfect game show job would be that guy who stands by the set to correct anything (Like on Family Feud when they need the contestants to be more specific...) :P

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 02:22:43 PM »
Not sure...I have the appearance, it would be my vocal inflections* and ad-libs that would get me, i.e. joking on a really bad answer.

*not sounding like the stereotypical host when someone wins big.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

The Pyramids

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 02:28:38 PM »
I can boldly say that I......have no talent at all for hosting a game or talk show whatsoever.

I recall the moment I really saw what makes a good host work. It was when I saw Benirschke and Gohen 'WOF' again via trade. Pat, I thought to myself, seemed so much more at ease than either of those guys (though more than Rolf than Bob). It was there I realized that the easier they make it look the better they are (see Bill Cullen, Peter Marshall, Monty Hall, Bob Barker, Howie Mandell and so on).

It also reminds me of the true-life scene in the book "The Late Shift" where Letterman producer Peter Lassaly told NBC's Bob Wright that Jay Leno will never get any better than he is today. From that I've been able to spot the clear limitations of Bert Convy, Ray Combs and more recently Richard Karn and Dylan Lane to name a few.