Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any news on Temptation US?  (Read 15828 times)

BrandonFG

Any news on Temptation US?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 05:31:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'159511\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 05:22 PM\']
This isn't a MyNetworkTV show. This is a syndicated program, which will be airing on all networks...a good chunk of them coincidentally happen to be on MyTV affils, AND there will be a preview on MyTV Primetime, but this is NOT a MyNetworkTV show.
[/quote]
I keep forgetting it's syndicated through (I believe) 20th. Mea culpa on that one.

One more point from me...for those who say the Fame Game is a rip off of Wheel...the 80s Fame Game wasn't that original either. A "Who/What/Where Am I?" type of game, not really innovative, and I *loved* the 80s version. But let's not put a basic sidebar game on a pedestal while we rag on the latest sidebar game.

And for the record, didn't mean to cause any tinfoil speculation here with the car offered.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 05:10:30 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 04:28:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'159504\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 01:37 PM\']About KnockOff, I think it could very well inject a lot of "money" into the show.  I doubt it'll be this faithful to Wipeout, but I'm thinking it'll use the Fame Game board with 6 good/3 bad, and right answers start at $5 and increase 5.  [/quote] Not quite. Answers on the board are ranked according to difficulty, from $2 to $15.
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159512\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 02:31 PM\']One more point from me...for those who say the Fame Game is a rip off of Wheel...the 80s Fame Game wasn't that original either. A "Who/What/Where Am I?" type of game, really innovative, and I *loved* the 80s version. But let's not put a basic sidebar game on a pedestal while we rag on the latest sidebar game.[/quote]Admittedly, the Fame Game is my least favorite part of Australian Temptation and the weakest part of my game. Anything that helps me to play along is an improvement, though a right answer will be worth only score money, and not a pick from a board. I also happen to like the pyramid style toss-up question, and thought it was used effectively on Sale.

(Both that and the Knockoff bits were told to me by a prospective contestant.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:29:47 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159506\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 03:56 PM\']
This being MyNetworkTV, which still has yet to find a true breakout hit (even in limited run, the telenovelas flopped), I'm sure the budget won't be too heavy. Don't expect a Chevy Chevette, but don't be surprised if they don't offer a Jag either.
[/quote]
These are pretty similarly priced.

BrandonFG

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2007, 04:30:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'159567\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 12:58 PM\']
This being MyNetworkTV, which still has yet to find a true breakout hit (even in limited run, the telenovelas flopped), I'm sure the budget won't be too heavy. Don't expect a Chevy Chevette, but don't be surprised if they don't offer a Jag either.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Chevette or Corvette? ;-) I couldn't remember what Chevy's current compact car was called.

/the Aveo, I think...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:30:27 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159586\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 03:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'159567\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 12:58 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Chevette or Corvette? ;-) I couldn't remember what Chevy's current compact car was called.

/the Aveo, I think...
[/quote]
I saw Corvette.  Oops.  My bad.  :-)

Don Howard

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 11:31:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159468\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 10:41 AM\']
I really think that traditionalist game show fans, especially fans of fast-paced Q&A, are going to have to work very, very hard to dislike either Temptation or Crosswords.[/quote]
That's exactly what I'm counting on. Wouldn't mind seeing Split Second back sometime, too.
So, Matt, have you given any thought to auditioning for Temptation? How many people get the chance to be a swinger in two consecutive millenia?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 08:25:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'159736\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 11:31 PM\']So, Matt, have you given any thought to auditioning for Temptation? How many people get the chance to be a swinger in two consecutive millenia?[/quote]
Considering that I'm pretty close friends with the supervising producer in charge of the game material, I'm afraid that's not going to be an option...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 02:51:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159756\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 08:25 AM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'159736\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 11:31 PM\']So, Matt, have you given any thought to auditioning for Temptation? [/quote]
Considering that I'm pretty close friends with the supervising producer in charge of the game material, I'm afraid that's not going to be an option...
[/quote]

I hear you.  Much as I want our mutual friend to be wildly successful in his chosen field, every time he gets a gig, I think, Well, there's ANOTHER show I'm ineligible to play... ;)
czambo@mac.com

davidhammett

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2007, 10:35:14 PM »
The first episode of the US Temptation is in the can.  And yes, the purists will certainly find all sorts of details to pick apart.  But for most of you who appreciated $otC, I believe you will be pleased.  The show stays true to the basic tenets of the 80's version, but with what I think are some nice updates, many of which have already been addressed here.

The basic game format (as best I remember it) is as follows:
  • Speed Round
  • Instant Bargain
  • Fame Game
  • Speed Round
  • Instant Bargain
  • Knock Off
  • Fame Game
  • Instant Cash
  • Speed Round
The second speed round has contestants choosing between one of two alternatives (think Remote Control's Dead or Canadian category, or YDKJ "Dis or Dat").  But my favorite round is the Knock Off round, with the contestants earning from $2 to $15 for correct choices (or getting locked out of the round for incorrect ones).  And the endgame does give the winner a chance to earn more money in the Super Knock Off before going shopping or deciding to come back.

There has been lots of talk about the questions being dumbed down or geared more toward pop culture.  I'll agree that $otC seemed to be a more academic show, but most of its questions were not really that esoteric.  The questions on Temptation are, in my opinion, just as interesting and challenging as the ones we remember from the 80's.  Also, I like the new set, which is actually larger than the one in Australia, but similarly constructed.  And I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised by Rossi Morreale, who has both the requisite energy and a good understanding of the game.

In short, it's great to have an old favorite back.

vtown7

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2007, 11:32:05 PM »
Sorry to ask what might be a dumb question David, but are there any "normal question" rounds where they're just worth a flat rate and aren't against the clock?

Thanks

Ryan :)

davidhammett

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2007, 11:39:29 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'159936\' date=\'Aug 7 2007, 11:32 PM\']
Sorry to ask what might be a dumb question David, but are there any "normal question" rounds where they're just worth a flat rate and aren't against the clock?

Thanks

Ryan :)
[/quote]

Nope... everything takes the form of some sort of "round."  It's not what we're used to, but I don't really feel like it takes anything away from the game.  And, just to confirm, all speed round questions are worth $5 each, except for the last speed round, where they double in value.

BrandonFG

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2007, 12:18:35 AM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'159938\' date=\'Aug 7 2007, 11:39 PM\']
Nope... everything takes the form of some sort of "round."  It's not what we're used to, but I don't really feel like it takes anything away from the game.  And, just to confirm, all speed round questions are worth $5 each, except for the last speed round, where they double in value.
[/quote]
I like how this sounds...sounds like they're trying to keep it fast-paced, but it sounds like it works. Makes me even more eager to September.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2007, 12:27:14 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159946\' date=\'Aug 7 2007, 09:18 PM\']
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'159938\' date=\'Aug 7 2007, 11:39 PM\']
[/quote]I like how this sounds...sounds like they're trying to keep it fast-paced, but it sounds like it works. Makes me even more eager to September.[/quote]And the Sprint Rounds in AUS Temptation aren't offensive at all. Just 20 seconds of short questions to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Would I want an entire show of Sprints? Naw. But they're a fine way to break up the tedium.
Travis L. Eberle

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2007, 04:30:08 AM »
In this fast-paced world we live in these days, the format seems to work out nicely.  Many of the original features of the '80s $otC are present in this update.  The Knock Off is a new one on me.  I'm willing to give it a shot.  I think the Instant Cash part stays true to our roots instead of the Cash Vault portion from Austraillia.  It would be nice to see something like that here, but Instant Cash will do.  We'll see what happens next month.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2007, 11:19:23 AM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'159934\' date=\'Aug 7 2007, 10:35 PM\']
I'll agree that $otC seemed to be a more academic show, but most of its questions were not really that esoteric.[/quote]
Well, $otC has been described (scroll to bottom) as "remedial Jeopardy!"