Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any news on Temptation US?  (Read 15883 times)

Matt Ottinger

Any news on Temptation US?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 10:41:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'159454\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 12:33 AM\']If the Fame Game really does turn out to be just "Guess this famous person's name," well, that's a downgrade.  [/quote]
It isn't.  Without saying too much and getting into trouble, let me just say that if anything, the new Fame Game will be an improvement on the original, but will be very much along the same lines.

Gang, I really think that traditionalist game show fans, especially fans of fast-paced Q&A, are going to have to work very, very hard to dislike either Temptation or Crosswords.  You're just going to have to trust me and hold on for another month or so to see for yourselves.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 11:21:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159468\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 10:41 AM\']
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'159454\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 12:33 AM\']If the Fame Game really does turn out to be just "Guess this famous person's name," well, that's a downgrade.  [/quote]
It isn't.  Without saying too much and getting into trouble, let me just say that if anything, the new Fame Game will be an improvement on the original, but will be very much along the same lines.

Gang, I really think that traditionalist game show fans, especially fans of fast-paced Q&A, are going to have to work very, very hard to dislike either Temptation or Crosswords.  You're just going to have to trust me and hold on for another month or so to see for yourselves.
[/quote]

Speaking of MG's CWs, I had a chance to take a look at the promo spots yesterday, and there wasn't much as far as shots of the set and/or gameplay. The spots focused more on the fact that "60 Million People Do It Everyday", and "To Some, It's An Obsession", and the fact that the show was created by Merv, who also created "Wheel" and "Jeopardy".

There was one brief clip of 5(?!?) contestants arranged by 3 players on the top tier and 2 on the lower tier (though another shows 3 contestants walking down the ramp), but most of the few game clips focused on 2 players side-by-side.

tvmitch

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 11:32:47 AM »
Hard to speculate on the final product of the show based on a pilot or what contestant coordinators at auditions say...I remember auditioning for Twenty-One before the show hit their air seven years ago, and the format had completely changed, top-to-bottom, from what we were told there.

Anyone have a complete affiliate list? Specifically looking for clearances in Philly or the Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York (PA) markets.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:33:42 AM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 12:39:37 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'159475\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 11:32 AM\']

Anyone have a complete affiliate list? Specifically looking for clearances in Philly or the Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York (PA) markets.
[/quote]

KYW will have Crosswords in Philly; not sure about Harrisburg.  It has also been reported that Temptation has been sold to all of the top 30, so that would include Philly.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:39:10 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »
[/quote]
Check Program Partners's website. They listed all the affiliates so far, as of May 14.

/still waiting on a Norfolk station >:o
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 01:06:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'159461\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 03:34 AM\']
Intresting that $995 will be what you need for a car.  That can only get you a nice Pontiac or a Mercury Villager or whatever car they have.
[/quote]
Only you could make a statement like this, which makes absolutely no sense.

/okay, there's others
//I was being nice on this Friday afternoon
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 01:51:35 PM »
Honestly, with all the changes mentioned, it sounds like it might be pretty good. I like the bonus round MUCH better than AUS temptation's bonus, which just-doesn't-fit, at least to me. I'm not a huge fan of the speed round changes, but overall I'm not quite as fearful as I was before.

Keep in mind, that I'm also understanding this is a predominantly daytime clearance show.

/Can we drop a showing of Maury to show this?
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 02:00:34 PM »
Here's the deal, from my way of seeing it.

In Australia, you don't mess with Sale Of The Century. It would be roughly akin to Drew Carey walking through the big doors and reminding us that The Price Is Right is a game of definitions. So as a result they didn't do anything too weird with Temptation, because they would have been utterly lynched.

Here, yes, we geeks have a huge affinity for $otC, but it isn't nearly the institution here that it is Down Under. So this show is gonna come on the air and the fanb0is are going to cry "But-but-but this isn't Sale Of The Century!"

To which I say "Then it's probably a good thing that it isn't CALLED Sale Of The Century, isn't it?"

Temptation has no history in the US. They can make it pretty much whatever they want it to be. So I'm going to sit down and expect nothing. And if in that half hour, they present to me a decent GAME, a decent, traditional, no huge-money-ladder-with-lifelines GAME SHOW, whatever that game ends up being, I will be completely content.

(Okay, I'll want them to use the buzzer sound, too.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:02:53 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 03:25:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'159492\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 02:00 PM\']
Temptation has no history in the US. They can make it pretty much whatever they want it to be. So I'm going to sit down and expect nothing. And if in that half hour, they present to me a decent GAME, a decent, traditional, no huge-money-ladder-with-lifelines GAME SHOW, whatever that game ends up being, I will be completely content.
[/quote]
I agree, and perhaps I should modify my thoughts (see below). It's been almost 20 years, so except for the occasional fond memory (I've heard radio DJs bring it up as a childhood memory), it's probably a long-forgotten show.

I have no problem with changes to the show, as long as I see some trivia, something resembling the Fame Game, and buying prizes at discounted prices. I could care less about the pop culture trivia or pretty boy host, as long as they keep the bare bones elements, that is, buying prizes at discounted prices. I don't see this being a FUBAR like Card Sharks 01, so that's good. From Alex's description, I'm very eager, and I like the Wipeout variation endgame.

I guess my biggest fear (from reading the pilot description) is that they're trying to cram too much into 22 minutes. If they can pull it off, excellent. But Americans don't like complicated TV...one of the most popular games involves picking a damn briefcase, and if you can count to 26, you'll win {Herb Tarlek}Muy dinero{/Tarlek}.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 04:37:54 PM »
Lots of comments ahead:

Since $995 is only getting me a car, I'm hoping it's a fairly expensive car.  I don't think a Corvette or a similarly-priced car is out of the realm of possibility.

If this new Fame Game it's just letters dropping in and guessing the name, then I personally feel it's no up or downgrade from the original.  If there's another clue to it (a la Scrabble Speedword), then it's some improvement.  At the very least, it should free up time for the other stuff.

About KnockOff, I think it could very well inject a lot of "money" into the show.  I doubt it'll be this faithful to Wipeout, but I'm thinking it'll use the Fame Game board with 6 good/3 bad, and right answers start at $5 and increase 5.  If it is, there's $100 in game money to be distributed, and even more (in theory) for the bonus version.  Like I said, I doubt it'll be like this, but I'm also thinking there will be a higher frequency of 3-digit winners and maybe even a $200 winner after the bonus game.

The casting of women contestants isn't exactly a big concern, (although I really don't see it as an effective marketing tool) as long as the targeting is done in moderation.  I do like having contestants with diverse backgrounds, so here's hoping we don't get 90% housewives.

Overall, I know I won't be getting $ale, but I think that the spirit of the game is being kept enough to make me cautiously optimistic.  Now if only I could only figure out what Pittsburgh station will carry it.
This signature is currently under construction.

tvmitch

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 04:46:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'159480\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 12:39 PM\']
[/quote]
KYW will have Crosswords in Philly; not sure about Harrisburg.  It has also been reported that Temptation has been sold to all of the top 30, so that would include Philly.
[/quote]
I read somewhere that KYW/WPSG will have Crosswords, yes...and I remember seeing that WPMT will run the show in my home market, probably alongside wherever they run Feud this year. (I'm glad Fox 43 picked it up because we have most of the Philly locals on our cable - including Telemundo! - but no KYW or WPSG.)

I meant to say that I hadn't seen a complete affiliate list for Temptation yet other than the press release lists, which never mentioned my market or the Philly market. Anyone?
You should follow me on Twitter

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 04:56:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'159504\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 04:37 PM\']
Since $995 is only getting me a car, I'm hoping it's a fairly expensive car.  I don't think a Corvette or a similarly-priced car is out of the realm of possibility.
[/quote]
I'm wondering if they'll take a cue from the Aussie version and offer the Volvo SUV. That's about $45,000-50,000.

This being MyNetworkTV, which still has yet to find a true breakout hit (even in limited run, the telenovelas flopped), I'm sure the budget won't be too heavy. Don't expect a Chevy Chevette, but don't be surprised if they don't offer a Jag either.

I think something like a Toyota Avalon, Chevy Impala, or even a Dodge Charger might work...luxurious, stylish, but not budget-breaking.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:58:12 PM by fostergray82 »

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 05:00:16 PM »
Overall, I know I won't be getting $ale, but I think that the spirit of the game is being kept enough to make me cautiously optimistic.  Now if only I could only figure out what Pittsburgh station will carry it.
[/quote]

I just moved to the Burgh! Whereabouts are you?

/My money's on channel 11
insert signature here

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 05:19:39 PM »
Since $995 is only getting me a car, I'm hoping it's a fairly expensive car.  I don't think a Corvette or a similarly-priced car is out of the realm of possibility.[/quote]
This is just the first in a long list of your comments that really all point to the same thing:  Speculation about specifics before the show has aired is ridiculous.  You have no idea what the point structure is going to be, and therefore no way of knowing how hard it will be to get to 995 points.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 05:22:59 PM »
Echo-ing the smart comments above by Michi-Matt

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159506\' date=\'Aug 3 2007, 04:56 PM\']
This being MyNetworkTV, which still has yet to find a true breakout hit (even in limited run, the telenovelas flopped), I'm sure the budget won't be too heavy. Don't expect a Chevy Chevette, but don't be surprised if they don't offer a Jag either.
[/quote]

....and furthermore.....

This isn't a MyNetworkTV show. This is a syndicated program, which will be airing on all networks...a good chunk of them coincidentally happen to be on MyTV affils, AND there will be a preview on MyTV Primetime, but this is NOT a MyNetworkTV show.

And people, please stop with the speculation on what cars are going to be offered. Unless you've been to a taping, you don't know. So sit back, relax, ignore Craig Karlberg, and wait one month. Then the analyzing can begin.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"