Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UK Chain Letters  (Read 5158 times)

rebelwrest

UK Chain Letters
« on: July 28, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »
I was watching an episode of the UK Chain Letters (a show that should have been tried here) and in the credits I saw these two items

Produced in association with Barry & Enright Productions

Game created by Mark Maxwell-Smith

Did Mark Maxwell-Smith ever work with Barry & Enright or did Barry & Enright purchase the rights to the game?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Chief-O

UK Chain Letters
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 08:54:46 PM »
The only thing that's coming to my mind is that it may have been a busted B&E format.

Mark Maxwell-Smith, from what I can tell, never really worked with one company.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 08:55:05 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

byrd62

UK Chain Letters
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 07:40:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'158956\' date=\'Jul 28 2007, 08:54 PM\']
The only thing that's coming to my mind is that it may have been a busted B&E format.

Mark Maxwell-Smith, from what I can tell, never really worked with one company.
[/quote]

Although I think Mark might have worked as a producer on Tic Tac Dough during the early 1980's.  Before that, he might have worked as a writer on Ralph Edwards' production of Cross-Wits in the late 1970's.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 07:40:44 AM by byrd62 »

The Ol' Guy

UK Chain Letters
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 10:51:27 AM »
IMDB has Mark as the creator of the game, and also gives Mark a listing as having worked on B&E's Soap World. But what made me search - did I see his name on Bumper Stumpers' credits? IIRC, he's also been listed on several other game shows, including Talk About, the last LMAD and one on PBS. He heads up Emmes Productions, which makes me think he's been more of an independent developer/consultant than linked specifically with any one company like B&E. I'm open to correction on this...

sshuffield70

UK Chain Letters
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »
I've seen his name as a "Greed" writer and as "TalkAbout" creator.

Chief-O

UK Chain Letters
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 08:45:34 PM »
Why I failed to mention this earlier, I don't know, but he also worked as a writer[?] on "Sweep" [Randy, am I right?]
.....and it goes like this!!!

TimK2003

UK Chain Letters
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 09:51:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'159130\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 08:45 PM\']
Why I failed to mention this earlier, I don't know, but he also worked as a writer[?] on "Sweep" [Randy, am I right?]
[/quote]

M.M. Smith has done quite a few shows north of the border.  I also recall seeing his name on "Acting Crazy" and a few other Canadian shows, including "Talk About"

uncamark

UK Chain Letters
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 05:55:21 PM »
Seems to me that Smith was listed as developing "Bumper Stumpers."

Seems to me his first B&E credit (well, Jack Barry Productions) was as a "researcher" (writer) on "TJW" back in the CBS days.  At about the same time, he also was a writer on "T or C," where he seemed to be responsible for a perceived (at least on my part) renewed creative spark in the show in its last year-and-a-half of production with Barker.

dazztardly

UK Chain Letters
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 12:27:57 AM »
Excuse the bump. But for those who are curious, Chain Letters was in fact shot as a pilot for Barry & Enright.

Here's a photo from a rehearsal...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_fullwood/4286207294/in/photostream

Mark originally presented the basic premise to Ralph Edwards Productions, when he was working on The Cross-Wits and Truth or Consequences. They weren't interested. Then several years later when was he working for Barry & Enright, he revisted the format. A pilot was shot. A couple years after with a nod from Dan Enright, he went to Tyne Tees in the UK, where he pitched a revamped format of Chain Letters. He showed portions of the original Barry & Enright pilot to demonstrate the gameplay. The show was picked up and aired for nearly ten years.

-Dan

BrandonFG

UK Chain Letters
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 12:45:39 AM »
Interesting...thanks for sharing! Any idea what year that's from?

Also interesting that the set contained eggcrate scoreboards, instead of the traditional UK vanes.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
UK Chain Letters
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »
Also interesting that the set contained eggcrate scoreboards, instead of the traditional UK vanes.
That picture was from a U.S. pilot hosted by Jim Peck c. early-1985, per the photo. Notice, too, the monitors below each player (gasp!).

The format had elements of what you saw in the UK eventually. The first round was 3-letter word chains, with the crossword clues beforehand. Each right answer was worth whatever you stopped on in the shuffle - an amount from $10-$100, or "tie-the-leader." Whoever led when time was called got to run up their score with the "booby trap" round, where your opponents wrote a word you could chain from a master word (on their telestrators; hence the monitors). You doubled your initial stake ($10) with each successive new word they didn't say, up to four (IIRC). This happened once more with increased stakes and 4-letter words, culminating in one last tie-the-leader shuffle thing with 5-letter words to determine a winner. B&E, never being one to create a dull moment - the last spin of the game quite obviously "lands" on the tie-the-leader space. The bonus was the same as the British one, played for $10,000.

By the time it got to the UK, they figured out the game was more in the chain-of-words idea than the clues, which were only heard in the final round of that version. Very cool photo!

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck