Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid  (Read 7292 times)

HYHYBT

Pyramid
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2003, 02:57:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jun 29 2003, 01:10 AM\'] I hadn't seen the family pair episodes, so thanks for pointing that out.

Well, what about teaming up two total strangers, as on "You Bet Your Life"? They could switch strangers after the first round. Or what if they were strangers but had the same job, as on "Hot Potato"? Or what if they got sort of creative? Stay-at-home moms versus stay-at-home dads? Bald guys versus toupee wearers? Blonde versus brunette week?

I'd go for anything to keep them from inviting Leeza Gibbons back. But what do you think of it? [/quote]
 Strangers who have the same job could still wind up with inside clues, but at least unlike relatives or friends you wouldn't have to worry about them working out some kind of code.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

ChuckNet

Pyramid
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 12:14:19 PM »
Such a scenario Chris and Jimmy describe is what didn't help the family pair episodes of Pyramid tried in 1979.

Indeed...the ep that's been floating around has a mom offering \"Bobby is your...\" as a clue for 'cousin' to her son.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

zachhoran

Pyramid
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2003, 01:12:50 PM »
THose \"known only between the family/friends\" kind of clues are sometimes given in the Pyramid-like \"30 second shootout\" game on the PAX run of Supermarket Sweep(where a player has 30 seconds to communicate as many words on a card to their teammate, the first letters of which are clues to a grocery item or brand name)

Neumms

Pyramid
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2003, 02:28:13 PM »
They could just make inside clues illegal, worthy of a cuckoo.  

The bigger point is, they'd be far better off figuring out some way to ditch celebrities if they can't attract entertaining, well-known ones.

inturnaround

Pyramid
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2003, 02:29:55 PM »
Yeah, but a cuckoo on an inside clue...couldn't that get extremely subjective?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2003, 02:42:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jul 1 2003, 06:28 PM\'] They could just make inside clues illegal, worthy of a cuckoo.  

The bigger point is, they'd be far better off figuring out some way to ditch celebrities if they can't attract entertaining, well-known ones. [/quote]
 To your first point:  How could a judge be sure a clue was illegally \"inside\"?

To your second, no.  They gain nothing by ditching celebrities in favor of an all-civilian format.  The 1970s Pyramid had \"stars\", but the better Pyramid in terms of game play was in the 80s, when being a star was less inportant to Bob Stewart than whether you could play his little game well.

What the current Pyramid did in the first season was find itself, both in how they were going to judge and what sort of celebrities they were going to be able to get.  I think what you'll see next season are a lot more returning \"good players\", regardless of how far up they go on the celeb-o-meter.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2003, 02:45:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jul 1 2003, 11:28 AM\'] They could just make inside clues illegal, worthy of a cuckoo.  
 [/quote]
 That would be so gray-area as to be completely unenforcable. I suppose the rest of the clue rules have some gray areas as well, but at least you can gauge when someone has stepped too far over the line. I just don't see how you'd do that with something like this.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Pyramid
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2003, 10:12:44 PM »
I was thinking of the clues noted earlier, such as \"Shirley is your ________.\" If it was just a matter of mentioning specific people, it might not be that hard to judge, but I suppose other things could come up, too. So I'll grant that partners who know each other isn't the way to go.

I still think that lousy, no-talent celebrities bring down the show, though. It makes the Pyramid seem bush league, and the game is so good it shouldn't be that way.

clemon79

Pyramid
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2003, 11:02:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jul 1 2003, 07:12 PM\'] I still think that lousy, no-talent celebrities bring down the show, though. It makes the Pyramid seem bush league, and the game is so good it shouldn't be that way. [/quote]
 I don't agree that it reflects poorly on the show, but it certainly isn't as entertaining. I was watching Scott Hamilton on the $100K show today. I love Scott Hamilton. I've had the honor of seeing him skate live once. And damn, does he suck at Pyramid. (In the WC, anyhow.) I don't think it made the show bad, it just meant that Scott Hamilton sucked at Pyramid. C'est la vie.

zachhoran

Pyramid
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2003, 12:13:12 AM »
Scott didn't do too much better on the current season of Donny Pyramid either IIRC. But he's better than Krayzelburg.

clemon79

Pyramid
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2003, 12:15:36 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 1 2003, 09:13 PM\'] Scott didn't do too much better on the current season of Donny Pyramid either IIRC. But he's better than Krayzelburg. [/quote]
 With apologies to Jeremy, I've suffered from foot fungus that played the game better than Krayzelburg. :)

PyramidStephen

Pyramid
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2003, 01:51:01 PM »
Bruce Goldberg will appear during Pyramid's Second Season as a contestant...not a celeb.

Stephen