Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes you'd like to see  (Read 39609 times)

BrandonFG

Changes you'd like to see
« on: July 24, 2007, 01:00:34 PM »
Didn't want this one to get lost in the other two threads, since they mainly discuss Carey himself.

But with Barker relinquishing the EP title, what are a few changes you'd like to see? I don't mean stuff like firing Rich Fields for Colin Mochrie or bringing back the arrow pointer split-screen thingy for Showcase Showdown...OK, that one I'd love to see myself. :-)

I'll start with a dress code for the prospective contestants. No more corny T-shirts kissing up to Bob. Not saying it has to be formal like in the 70s, but it shouldn't look like "Let's Make a Deal" either. Just something a little more casual, like Polo shirts, blouses, or a regular T-shirt, without puns. College shirts or military uniforms are still cool. The mid-to-late-80s eps. are a good reference point.

Speaking of college, tone down the audience...stop allowing them to cheer for everything. I couldn't tell if I was watching a game show or "Van Wilder".

If you update the set, graphics, music, etc., find a happy medium between 1972 and 2007, kinda like what they've been doing. The 1994 set was awesome, but I think that's a little too radical of a change. A mix of that and the current set would look great...maybe use the door borders from the '94 version, but I'd keep the turntable and what not. Part of the shows charm is that it looks like it's still stuck in a late-70s time warp, and that no other show is like that. Don't kill that charm.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:02:19 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Timsterino

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:16:11 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'158430\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 01:00 PM\']
Didn't want this one to get lost in the other two threads, since they mainly discuss Carey himself.

But with Barker relinquishing the EP title, what are a few changes you'd like to see? I don't mean stuff like firing Rich Fields for Colin Mochrie or bringing back the arrow pointer split-screen thingy for Showcase Showdown...OK, that one I'd love to see myself. :-)

I'll start with a dress code for the prospective contestants. No more corny T-shirts kissing up to Bob. Not saying it has to be formal like in the 70s, but it shouldn't look like "Let's Make a Deal" either. Just something a little more casual, like Polo shirts, blouses, or a regular T-shirt, without puns. College shirts or military uniforms are still cool. The mid-to-late-80s eps. are a good reference point.

Speaking of college, tone down the audience...stop allowing them to cheer for everything. I couldn't tell if I was watching a game show or "Van Wilder".

If you update the set, graphics, music, etc., find a happy medium between 1972 and 2007, kinda like what they've been doing. The 1994 set was awesome, but I think that's a little too radical of a change. A mix of that and the current set would look great...maybe use the door borders from the '94 version, but I'd keep the turntable and what not. Part of the shows charm is that it looks like it's still stuck in a late-70s time warp, and that no other show is like that. Don't kill that charm.
[/quote]

No changes for me thanks, the host change is quite enough to swallow. :)

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 01:16:19 PM »
I personally don't see the big deal with the shirts...and that's not because I have an idea for a shirt already..:-) I feel that the shirts (as dumb as some of them are) keep that fun-this-is-california atmosphere.

As for changes, I would hold off on any major changes for at least a season.  Keep the current scheme on the turntable, but maybe change the door color to something new- how about the MDS scheme?
insert signature here

SteveR

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »
Maybe a switch to have him enter through the audience every show.

And, two things that are changes from things Bob had to have a certain way:

1) A wireless microphone, maybe give Drew the option of going into the audience. (I don't have a real reason why right now, just a thought)

2) Bikinis! (on the models... ;) )

jmangin

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:14:53 PM »
[/quote]

How about letting people be themselves?  If people want to cheer, let them.  They're having a good time in the audience enjoying the atmosphere.  

Part of the charm of Price is the genuine reactions from people in the studio, both on stage and in the audience.  Yes, there are a few hams once in a while...but not interfering with genuine reactions is what makes sitting in the audience of Price much more fun than, say, a six-hour taping of Deal or No Deal full of pickups and extended reaction shots.

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 02:18:42 PM »
No more animal shelter plugs. (not like I'd expect to see them)

Hey, that's 15-25 seconds, right there.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:19:13 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 02:22:22 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'158441\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 02:14 PM\']
[/quote]

How about letting people be themselves?  If people want to cheer, let them.  They're having a good time in the audience enjoying the atmosphere.  
[/quote]
Where did I say I didn't want them to be themselves? There's a difference between having a good time and just being over-the-top. Price became more and more over-the-top. Not D/ND fake, but over-the-top, in an annoying fratboy type of way. The 70s, 80s, and 90s audiences had a good time, but it was under control.

Just my two shiny copper coins.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:24:19 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 02:33:27 PM »
I'd like to see the demonstration putt removed from Hole in One.  By now, I think everyone knows how to use a putter (not necessarily well), but IMO, the only reason it was there was for Barker to show off his occasional make.

Now that Barker is gone, consider bringing back some of the retired games, such as Super Saver that were retired because "Bob messed up".

Hopefully, cheaters are put in their proper position.

Other than a few minor set changes (such as the doors), I really think the show will be fine as is.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

WhammyPower

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 02:41:36 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'158434\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 12:16 PM\'] I personally don't see the big deal with the shirts...and that's not because I have an idea for a shirt already..:-) [/quote]
Is it something like this?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 02:44:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'158448\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 11:33 AM\']
I'd like to see the demonstration putt removed from Hole in One.  By now, I think everyone knows how to use a putter (not necessarily well), but IMO, the only reason it was there was for Barker to show off his occasional make.[/quote]Um, yeah, that was pretty much exactly the idea.

In the earlier days, he made that shot a lot more often, so it made a lot more sense. His ego grew in inverse proportion to his golf game.

I'm guessing that Drew, not being a golfer, will not be attempting that putt, unless it's as a frivolous "hey, let me try it!" kind of thing. Which I could see him pulling off.
Hopefully, cheaters are put in their proper position.
I'm gonna guess that with a new host who isn't senile, isn't too vain to do an edit, and isn't EP and therefore not in a position to make that call, you're gonna see those situations come up a LOT less often.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 03:23:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'158448\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 02:33 PM\']
I'd like to see the demonstration putt removed from Hole in One.  By now, I think everyone knows how to use a putter (not necessarily well), but IMO, the only reason it was there was for Barker to show off his occasional make.
[/quote]
That brings up an interesting point...do you continue to use some of Bob's running jokes as an homage, or do you cut them so that Drew doesn't appear to be emulating him? For example, the inspiration putts, bringing up the "37 hour start-up" for Range Game, etc.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:31:28 PM by fostergray82 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 03:30:54 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'158467\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 12:23 PM\']
That brings up an interesting point...do you continue to use some of Bob's running jokes as an homage
[/quote]
No. Bob's gone, the "homage" was his being permitted to breathe Studio 33's air for the last five years, and that's it.

He's gone, folks. Get over it. Not saying you're not, Brandon, but GOD am I getting tired of people clinging onto Barker's "legacy" as hard as they can around every turn. Let it GO, folks. Life goes on.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'158452\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 02:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'158434\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 12:16 PM\'] I personally don't see the big deal with the shirts...and that's not because I have an idea for a shirt already..:-) [/quote]
Is it something like this?
[/quote]
Not even close. :-)
insert signature here

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 03:33:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158470\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 03:30 PM\']
No. Bob's gone, the "homage" was his being permitted to breathe Studio 33's air for the last five years, and that's it.

He's gone, folks. Get over it. Not saying you're not, Brandon, but GOD am I getting tired of people clinging onto Barker's "legacy" as hard as they can around every turn. Let it GO, folks. Life goes on.
[/quote]
Understood, and I didn't mean to make it sound like it's worshipping Barker as a god, but I see what you're saying. It would almost be like Leno doing the mock golf swing everytime he walked out.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 03:35:22 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'158467\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 02:23 PM\']
That brings up an interesting point...do you continue to use some of Bob's running jokes as an homage, or do you cut them so that Drew doesn't appear to be emulating him? For example, the inspiration putts, bringing up the "37 hour start-up" for Range Game, etc. [/quote]

I think you remove them for the most part.  It's not Bob's show anymore.  It's Drew's.  Maybe the first time Hole in One comes up - have Drew try the inspiration putt just to try it, but nix it after that.  Ditto the other small Bob jokes.   (To me, the 37 hours thing got old years ago, so I don't mind a bit seeing it gone).

Another benefit will be the host not bringing the show to a standstill in describing his fear of being chased around whenever there's a Samoan, etc. contestant.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:37:09 PM by Seth Thrasher »