Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew Carey confirms he's the new host of TPIR  (Read 13339 times)

TV Favorites

Drew Carey confirms he's the new host of TPIR
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 10:16:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'158372\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 10:06 PM\']
Are they down or did they decide to cease operations?
[/quote]

I imagine the G-R.net server got hammered once the news hit the wire hence the downtime.  I doubt they closed up show.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 10:19:39 PM »
Very cool.  This should be fun.
czambo@mac.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 12:14:37 AM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' post=\'158373\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 10:16 PM\']I imagine the G-R.net server got hammered once the news hit the wire hence the downtime. [/quote]
That's extremely unlikely.  I checked just minutes after the AP wire story broke, and there's no way that the kind of traffic that brings down a website could have hit them by then.  Does anybody really know what's going on?  If it's a problem, I feel bad for them to be suffering it at this inopportune time.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 12:20:53 AM »
The site's been down since before the announcement was made, and I know at least one other site on the same server is also down.  We're really not sure what's going on.

TheLastResort

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 12:28:56 AM »
I know they have issues with having limited bandwidth.  They had to shut down their "Golden Gallery" for a few days at the end of last month to keep from running out before the next month started.  Doesn't sound like what's going on here though.

Jumpondees

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 12:39:37 AM »
I didn't see any mention here yet, so I'll do it.  There is now a blurb about the announcement on the CBS TPiR page.  I guess without CBS having a proper press conference to confirm, you can't get any more official than that.

I think this could be good....It seems in the interviews Drew has done prior to today on this subject, it appears that he is seriously going to respect the show.  I kinda feel that the show is in good hands...we'll just have to wait and see.

WhammyGuy28

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 02:43:19 AM »
Wow...I really didn't think Drew Carey would beat out Newton here, but I'm happy for Drew.  His work on Drew Carey Show and Whose Line was awesome.  If he has the knowledge of the games that's sorely needed for Price, and can keep the attention on the games where it should be, then he should have no problems.

But, that's the danger with a 'name' isn't it?  Suddenly the show becomes all about the name and 5% about the show.  That better not happen to Price.

-- PYLFan28 8-)
"What kind of man would live in a world where there is no daring? I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but nothing can be accomplished without taking any chance at all."

-- Charles Augustus Lindberg

Gromit

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »
So, it's true. Looking forward to it.

Obligatory "When is the first episode?" :)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 03:14:26 AM »
Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but when was the last time a game show host pulled double-duty in the states? Carey will be hosting Power of 10 and TPiR at the same time, yes?

bulldog_06

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 03:14:42 AM »
Best of luck to Mr. Carey, I had my heart set on Newton (he is from St. Louis like me) but enough of that.

From Barker's Beauties to the NOW Carey's Cuties.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:15:07 AM by bulldog_06 »

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 03:39:46 AM »
Carey will make a nice addition to the show.  As long as he doesn't overdo it, he'll be fine after a few tapings with cue cards before he finally gets the routine down.

As far as double-duty hosts, I think Alex Trebek was hosting J! when Classic Concentration debuted on NBC in the 80's.  Not sure if it's the most recent one leading up to Carey.

If Carey does well on The Power of 10, then I guess he'll do well on TPIR.  His track record is certainly there.

BrandonFG

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 04:11:12 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'158403\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 03:14 AM\']
Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but when was the last time a game show host pulled double-duty in the states?
[/quote]
Would you count America's Funniest Home Videos as a game show? If so, how about Bergeron? Another stretch would be some primetime game he hosted for FOX c. 2000. The name escapes me, but I'm pretty sure it only aired once.

Otherwise, the only other thing I could think of is Combs on both daytime and syndie Feud, c. 1993. It's 4 am, so forgive me if I'm drawing a blank. :-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 04:13:07 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 04:34:10 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'158407\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 04:11 AM\']
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'158403\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 03:14 AM\']
Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but when was the last time a game show host pulled double-duty in the states?
[/quote]
Would you count America's Funniest Home Videos as a game show? If so, how about Bergeron? Another stretch would be some primetime game he hosted for FOX c. 2000. The name escapes me, but I'm pretty sure it only aired once.

Otherwise, the only other thing I could think of is Combs on both daytime and syndie Feud, c. 1993. It's 4 am, so forgive me if I'm drawing a blank. :-)
[/quote]

Two game shows at the same time or just two different shows?  Meredith Viera, Jimmy Kimmel and Julie Chen if the latter.   I was under the impression that "Power of 10" was intended as a short run show anyway, so it may not even overlap come September.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 05:01:25 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 01:11 AM\']how about Bergeron? Another stretch would be some primetime game he hosted for FOX c. 2000. The name escapes me, but I'm pretty sure it only aired once.[/quote]
Since You've Been Gone. Shame that it didn't experience a better fate; I rather enjoyed it after stumbling upon its second half.

TimK2003

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2007, 09:41:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'158408\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 04:34 AM\']
Two game shows at the same time or just two different shows?  Meredith Viera, Jimmy Kimmel and Julie Chen if the latter.   I was under the impression that "Power of 10" was intended as a short run show anyway, so it may not even overlap come September.
[/quote]

Per my sources, if PO10 goes well in its 6-episode run (which it has a good shot of doing considering all the pre-show hype and now with all the news of Carey on TPiR), the show would most likely air on Wednesday nights at 8pm, after the run of the new reality series, "Kid Nation", is finished.