Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew Carey confirms he's the new host of TPIR  (Read 13340 times)

Kniwt

Drew Carey confirms he's the new host of TPIR
« on: July 23, 2007, 05:36:45 PM »
(Edit to add link)
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/1401AP_TV_Price_Carey.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Genial comic Drew Carey was tapped Monday to replace silver-haired legend Bob Barker on the CBS daytime game show "The Price is Right."

Carey confirmed the deal during a taping of the "Late Show" with David Letterman.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:42:59 PM by Kniwt »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 05:38:27 PM »
I just got an unofficial but well-connected heads-up to watch Letterman tonight, so it looks like this deal is done.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:39:39 PM »
I'm on board early by saying : Good pick.

Finally, i'm once again looking forward to this seasons PIR.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 05:42:44 PM »
I'm looking through the AP wire at work. It's confirmed.

Here's an article from a Seattle news outlet.

As I mentioned in another thread, this is a good choice, and not just because of the resemblance to Bill Cullen (when he wears his glasses). He's good on his toes, and unlike Steines or Newton, his name is recognized by folks outside the game show fanbase. Doesn't hurt that he ran two successful shows within the last five years that both get heavy rotation in reruns.

Now what was that about there being no way in you-know-what that he's getting this job?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:46:54 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

itiparanoid13

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 05:44:07 PM »
Yeah, I just got a call from a Letterman staffer I know.  It's good, as previously stated.

Casey Buck

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 05:46:02 PM »
WLS ABC7 in Chicago also has the same AP article.

Boy, what a bad time for golden-road.net to be down...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:46:40 PM by Casey Buck »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 05:48:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'158300\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 04:39 PM\']
I'm on board early by saying : Good pick.

Finally, i'm once again looking forward to this seasons PIR.
[/quote]
What he said.  

I'm actually quite intrigued.  Hope it works out for Drew.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 05:49:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'158303\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 05:46 PM\']

[/quote]
Y'know, I'd love to know what some of the die-hards think about that. I'm pretty sure some have crapped enough bricks to build a new mansion. The ones who would boycott if someone other than Todd is chosen.

/Regardless, they'll be there watching in September.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 05:50:46 PM »
Boy, what a bad time for golden-road.net to be down...[/quote]
I though the same thing when I checked there.
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'158305\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 05:49 PM\']Y'know, I'd love to know what some of the die-hards think about that. I'm pretty sure some have crapped enough bricks to build a new mansion. The ones who would boycott if someone other than Todd is chosen.[/quote]
In fairness, the last time I checked the thread about Drew over there, the comments were very similar to those here.  Several liked him, several were indifferent, and even most of the ones who were against him had logical concerns and addressed them in a reasonable way.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:54:16 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 05:56:37 PM »
What a difference a day makes...yesterday, I cast a "no" vote for the Drew Carey poll here, but now that it's official...I have to be honest, I am cautiously optimistic. Drew seems to have a handle on what the show needs (the "respect" quote), and hopefully, the staff has an idea of how to help the new guy settle into the role. If it was up to me, I'd suggest keeping a much smaller rotation of games for the first few weeks, and gradually sneak the rest of the games back onto the show as Drew gets more comfortable.

This should be fun.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 05:59:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'158306\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 05:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'158305\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 05:49 PM\']Y'know, I'd love to know what some of the die-hards think about that. I'm pretty sure some have crapped enough bricks to build a new mansion. The ones who would boycott if someone other than Todd is chosen.[/quote]
In fairness, the last time I checked the thread about Drew over there, the comments were very similar to those here.  Several liked him, several were indifferent, and even most of the ones who were against him had logical concerns and addressed them in a reasonable way.
[/quote]
All right, I stand (or sit) corrected, so apologies for the unfair stereotype.

Now, memo to CBS: as you've already seen, Todd Newton is one of the best kept secrets in TV right now (game show or otherwise). If you ever consider adding more daytime games (longshot) or through your syndication units (CBS Paramount or King World), please look at Todd for hosting considerations. Or better yet, something in primetime.

/and I don't mean the sideshows on another "Gameshow Marathon"

TonicBH

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 05:59:34 PM »
Best of luck to Mr. Carey.

(Funny thing is, this is the second Drew Carey Show star to star in a CBS program. What's next, "The Late Show with Ryan Stiles"?)

/Complete with either Diedrich Bader or Colin Mochrie as the bumbling sidekick
//okay, okay, I shouldn't give CBS ideas...
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

BMaurice06

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 06:02:59 PM »
I personally have mixed feelings about this.  Will Drew evoke the same performance on Price as Louie Anderson did on Family Feud (thank GAWD he wasn't under consideration) or will he at least do as good a job as the Masters (Barker and Cullen)?  I plan to watch the first week to make at least a passable judgement.  I wish Drew the best of luck but also warn him to do a good job, for the love of criminy, do a good job!

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 06:06:33 PM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'158315\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 06:02 PM\']
I plan to watch the first week to make at least a passable judgement.  I wish Drew the best of luck but also warn him to do a good job, for the love of criminy, do a good job!
[/quote]
You cannot compare the first week of work to what Bob and Bill did for 35 and nine years, respectively. It's just not fair. It'll take some time, and in your case, some patience. Just chill.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 06:07:20 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'158305\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 05:49 PM\']

[/quote]
Y'know, I'd love to know what some of the die-hards think about that.[/quote]

This one's just glad there's a freakin' host again.

Seriously, I had my doubts about Carey, but after reading people's comments here, I'm becoming more and more optimistic.