Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: worldofpop.com  (Read 5830 times)

lmg

worldofpop.com
« on: July 11, 2007, 03:55:06 PM »
(Moderator's note: the following was posted by an employee of Viacom, which owns the site that is being promoted.  -DZ)

I just found this really cool trivia site for all you pop culture junkies out there called WorldOfPop.com.  They have a ton of cool games – my favorite is Too Many Questions, where you have 4 answers but a ton of questions and you have to match them up. I thought I was really good at trivia, but some of these questions totally had me stumped!
Also, I heard they are gonna to have a game called Triviadome where you can actually win cash prizes.  I heard that next Friday they are going to have a grand prize game with a $10,000 reward.  Has anyone else heard about this?

Just thought I’d share!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:13:46 PM by dzinkin »

dzinkin

worldofpop.com
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 04:03:33 PM »
[quote name=\'lmg\' post=\'157267\' date=\'Jul 11 2007, 03:55 PM\']
I just found this really cool trivia site for all you pop culture junkies out there called WorldOfPop.com.  They have a ton of cool games – my favorite is Too Many Questions, where you have 4 answers but a ton of questions and you have to match them up. I thought I was really good at trivia, but some of these questions totally had me stumped!
Also, I heard they are gonna to have a game called Triviadome where you can actually win cash prizes.  I heard that next Friday they are going to have a grand prize game with a $10,000 reward.  Has anyone else heard about this?

Just thought I’d share!
[/quote]
Actually, you didn't "just find" it, your company runs it.

This forum has many fans of the World Series of Pop Culture.  As such, please feel free to be yourself -- we'd welcome an inside perspective.

chad1m

worldofpop.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »
I LOL'ed. =D

Neumms

worldofpop.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:35:39 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'157268\' date=\'Jul 11 2007, 03:03 PM\']
[/quote]

Ha! So is advertisers writing to chatrooms and forums posing as real people still a big thing, or has the average citizen figured it out?

I ask as someone in advertising who hopes 30-second filmed commercials become hot again.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
worldofpop.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 04:53:44 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'157268\' date=\'Jul 11 2007, 01:03 PM\']
[/quote]
Hah. Pwned.
This forum has many fans of the World Series of Pop Culture.  As such, please feel free to be yourself -- we'd welcome an inside perspective.
Actually, no, I'd rather he went away, since he pretty much tainted himself as a useful member of the forum by pulling this little stunt. Certainly I don't have the first ounce of trust in anything he says going forward.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 04:56:21 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvmitch

worldofpop.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »
Quality stuff. Just about the worst forum on the Internets to post this.
You should follow me on Twitter

dzinkin

worldofpop.com
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 05:49:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'157273\' date=\'Jul 11 2007, 04:35 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'157268\' date=\'Jul 11 2007, 03:03 PM\']
[/quote]
Ha! So is advertisers writing to chatrooms and forums posing as real people still a big thing, or has the average citizen figured it out?
[/quote]
Whether or not the average citizen has figured it out, I'm pretty sure it's still fairly common.  I speak from firsthand knowledge, as posts fitting your description pop up every now and then and I have to delete them.

clemon79

worldofpop.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 07:02:33 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'157283\' date=\'Jul 11 2007, 02:49 PM\']
Whether or not the average citizen has figured it out, I'm pretty sure it's still fairly common.  I speak from firsthand knowledge, as posts fitting your description pop up every now and then and I have to delete them.
[/quote]
Guerrilla marketers, much like their brethren on the evolutionary food chain, car salesmen, are under the almost-always-false assumption that they are always smarter than their prey.

Sadly, it still works a lot of the time, because, as you can see just by looking around you, there are some REALLY stupid people on the Internets.

Frankly, I'm surprised that GSNFAN3000 didn't beat you to the punch in his haste to award the site six gajillion thumbs up.

(It's also very possible that the jackbag doesn't care since he got his site plug in and the message is still there. For that reason I dunno if just deleting this thread outright is such a bad idea. At the MINIMUM, I think I'd edit an addendum to the guy's post to make it clear that he's shilling and not just some disinterested user like he claims to be.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:05:04 PM by clemon79 »

tomobrien

worldofpop.com
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 08:11:31 PM »
I particularly enjoyed the complete-with-exclamation-point "gosh, I'm stumped" line.  And the conspiratorial, "have-you-heard" tone.  Classic and outdated at the same time.

Robert Hutchinson

worldofpop.com
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »
I like playing trivia games.

I am never going to worldofpop.com.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

tpirfan28

worldofpop.com
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 08:30:21 PM »
I thought it said "worldofpoop.com".
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

worldofpop.com
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »
It would be interesting to see if his bosses condoned this, or if they would rip him a new one if this was some overzealous dimwit who thought that representing his company like this would be a good idea.

dzinkin

worldofpop.com
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 08:39:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'157306\' date=\'Jul 11 2007, 08:30 PM\']
I thought it said "worldofpoop.com".
[/quote]
Otherwise known as alt.tv.game-shows.

clemon79

worldofpop.com
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 08:41:58 PM »
Ooh, well done editing the thread subheading, Dave.

dzinkin

worldofpop.com
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 08:45:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'157314\' date=\'Jul 11 2007, 08:41 PM\']
Ooh, well done editing the thread subheading, Dave.
[/quote]
Thanks. :-)  I didn't think a wholesale deletion was warranted -- some of our members may find the recaps on the site useful.