Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 8855 times)

Robert Hutchinson

Without Prejudice
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 03:04:50 PM »
First post a corporate website plug? Forgive me if I look askance.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Matt Ottinger

Without Prejudice
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 03:13:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'159575\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 03:04 PM\']
First post a corporate website plug? Forgive me if I look askance.[/quote]
Understood and forgiven.  Frankly, if GSN corporate feels a need to sneak into our little fan community this way, I don't really have a problem with it.  And if "mariorice" is just a big fan of the show -- albeit one who uses that stilted language* copy writers use when they want to sound web-casual -- then that's great too.

*...and if you're striving to make yourself sound web-casual, what's a semicolon doing in there?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Without Prejudice
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 03:26:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159577\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 12:13 PM\']
*...and if you're striving to make yourself sound web-casual, what's a semicolon doing in there?
[/quote]
Some of us like semicolons; when used properly, they are a powerful punctuation tool.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Without Prejudice
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 04:26:01 PM »
There’s this new online Zogby poll/survey on GSN.com to hype the new show, “Without Prejudice?” that basically measures the extent of your prejudices.
Except I already know what my prejudices are: I hate hippies and French people. I don't need a survey to tell me that.

It’s surprising what some of the panelists on the show say.
No, it isn't, really.

They bash the others for being a certain race or things they’ve done.
That's almost exactly the textbook definition of "prejudiced," "racist" or "bigot."

Thank you ever so much for that.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159577\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 12:13 PM\']Understood and forgiven.  Frankly, if GSN corporate feels a need to sneak into our little fan community this way, I don't really have a problem with it.  And if "mariorice" is just a big fan of the show -- albeit one who uses that stilted language* copy writers use when they want to sound web-casual -- then that's great too.[/quote] The thing of it is, we're not the ones who need to be convinced. We're their core audience. More marketing is wasted on us. They would better spend that money on radio ads, billboards and that sort of thing.

That's all kinds of funny. A person tries to come off as "web-casual"...by using stilted language, as opposed to something that sounds natural.

But hey: they ran 49 Decent Game Shows and Freakin' Studs. So what're you gonna do?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:28:23 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

Without Prejudice
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 04:36:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159577\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 12:13 PM\']
Frankly, if GSN corporate feels a need to sneak into our little fan community this way, I don't really have a problem with it.
[/quote]
Looking at this again: why don't you? I don't like what astroturfing does to a community. And you can rest assured that if it's tolerated, we're gonna start being spammed left and right.

Robert Hutchinson

Without Prejudice
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 09:11:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159577\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 03:13 PM\']*...and if you're striving to make yourself sound web-casual, what's a semicolon doing in there?[/quote]
You mean it's not a clue to the content of the post? Semi-on-topic, semi-colon?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

beatlefreak84

Without Prejudice
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »
After many weeks of not watching it, I finally decided to watch "Without Prejudice?" with my mom tonight (I wanted a second opinion on the show!).

I will say that I think it's a novel concept for a show, and, on paper, it looks really good.  I will say that its intention was met with my mom and me:  we were indeed discussing who we'd vote out during breaks.  But, I definitely think the novelty is going to wear off after a while (if it hasn't already)...so many talk shows, news shows, etc. already explore a lot of these issues in many of the same ways.

I didn't really go into watching the show with high expectations, especially given what I've been reading here, but I will say that, at least to me, the show wasn't all that bad.  I'm not going to nominate it for one of the 50 Greatest Game Shows (well, maybe if it gets Friggin' Studs off the list...), and I won't be making it appointment TV, but it wasn't a bad way to spend a night, either.  I liked how the show was presented, especially in the 60-minute format (I can see how that 90-minute one would drag, though), and I thought some of the issues brought up were interesting, even if many of them have been brought up before on another show.

Oh, and, forget Vanna; I think Dr. Robi Ludwig has the easiest job in TV game shows right now...it must be nice to just announce what's going to happen and then just let people either explain their positions or (in the case of one panelist tonight) piss and moan because no one agrees with you...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

uncamark

Without Prejudice
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'159616\' date=\'Aug 4 2007, 08:31 PM\']
Oh, and, forget Vanna; I think Dr. Robi Ludwig has the easiest job in TV game shows right now...it must be nice to just announce what's going to happen and then just let people either explain their positions or (in the case of one panelist tonight) piss and moan because no one agrees with you...:)[/quote]

So why even have her do the show?  In the UK version, Liza Tarbuck's degree is from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts and she handled her limited duties just fine.  GSN thought a doctorate would make the show sound more Important and Controversial?

clemon79

Without Prejudice
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'159784\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 10:03 AM\']
GSN thought a doctorate would make the show sound more Important and Controversial?
[/quote]
That's my guess, because it sure as hell doesn't have anything to do with her being a relaxed and competent host.

Neumms

Without Prejudice
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 08:57:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'159787\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 12:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'159784\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 10:03 AM\']
GSN thought a doctorate would make the show sound more Important and Controversial?
[/quote]
That's my guess, because it sure as hell doesn't have anything to do with her being a relaxed and competent host.
[/quote]

She was inoffensive enough when I saw her, but the thing a psychologist would presumably do well--drawing people out and moving the discussion along--she really doesn't do that well. If she's coming off as a nervous Jim Lange, they would really benefit by someone who can make pointed and probing follow-up questions. (Unless she does and they edit those out.)

MisterBlue

Without Prejudice
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 09:26:05 PM »
It's... mildly interesting.  I watch it because I'm bored, basically.  Not a complete waste of an hour.  I see a few good moments, (like the first episode,  where the Polynesian guy got a reality check about blacks), while there are those ugly, flip the bird moments (like the girl on the most recent episode, who was quite possibly one of the biggest racists I've see on TV.)

I agree that Ludwig's a mere seat-warmer, barely a moderator.  She just... announces stuff.  Meh.

*shrugs*  It keeps me occupied until SVU, at least, because Singing Bee is a snorefest.

Sodboy13

Without Prejudice
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 10:59:49 PM »
After seeing that first episode, and seeing what's been played up in the commercials for episodes to follow (and they're dragging out *another* one for 90 minutes this week?), I've realized there's a much catchier, more marketable title for this show:

"America's Got Bigots!"
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Without Prejudice
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 11:15:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'159825\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 07:59 PM\']"America's Got Bigots!"[/quote]Jerry Springer...was not available.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Without Prejudice
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 09:30:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'159825\' date=\'Aug 6 2007, 10:59 PM\']
After seeing that first episode, and seeing what's been played up in the commercials for episodes to follow (and they're dragging out *another* one for 90 minutes this week?), I've realized there's a much catchier, more marketable title for this show:

"America's Got Bigots!"[/quote] I would put forth "Televsion's Perpetuating Stereotypes" but there are way too many big words for that to be marketable.  Plus, that would be stating the obvious.

/The Big Bang Theory != good TV
This signature is currently under construction.

spokesmodelintraining

Without Prejudice
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 02:12:55 PM »
Right on Joe.  Finally saw this wks episode and I'm not sure this is good for TV. There's a time and place for these kinds of discussions. I don't think as a TV show where someone wins money is it.  But there are those out there who disagree and think this is good.