Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth (7/1/07)  (Read 3300 times)

PYLW

What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth (7/1/07)
« on: July 02, 2007, 02:36:09 PM »
I was watching What's My Line?, and during the intro where Johnny Olson says what the show is brought to you by, GSN aired a commercial, and went back into the intro. Was What's My Line? ever sponsored by cigarettes, or is it something else that GSN can't show as a sponsor?

To Tell the Truth last night was an interesting episode from 1975 in the Garry Moore era. We saw a young Ally Sheedy (Who the first affadavit was about), talking about a book she had done.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:37:23 PM by PYLW »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:57:18 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'156534\' date=\'Jul 2 2007, 02:36 PM\']
I was watching What's My Line?, and during the intro where Johnny Olson says what the show is brought to you by, GSN aired a commercial, and went back into the intro. Was What's My Line? ever sponsored by cigarettes, or is it something else that GSN can't show as a sponsor?
[/quote]
I'm guessing this was a B&W episode? If so, then yeah, it probably was a cig sponsor. I know GSN removes any references to cig companies, and might even blur out the names nowadays, but would Johnny's plug count as an actual cig commercial, which of course, the FCC prohibits?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:10:53 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'156538\' date=\'Jul 2 2007, 01:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'156534\' date=\'Jul 2 2007, 02:36 PM\']
[/quote]
I'm guessing this was a B&W episode? If so, then yeah, it probably was a cig sponsor. I know GSN removes any references to cig companies, and might even blur out the names nowadays, but would Johnny's plug count as an actual cig commercial, which of course, the FCC prohibits?
[/quote]

What was the air date on "WML?"  If it's the last couple of years of the run, when they'd gone to all spot advertisers, it's very likely that a cigarette company may've been given a billboard by CBS for buying a lot of spots.  Until 1968, NBC still billboarded every advertiser, even if the show was all spots.  Of course, this was still in the era of 60-second commercials.

PYLW

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:44:50 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'156601\' date=\'Jul 3 2007, 11:10 AM\'] What was the air date on "WML?" If it's the last couple of years of the run, when they'd gone to all spot advertisers, it's very likely that a cigarette company may've been given a billboard by CBS for buying a lot of spots. Until 1968, NBC still billboarded every advertiser, even if the show was all spots. Of course, this was still in the era of 60-second commercials. [/quote]

The airdate was 10/31/1965...your theory sounds very plausible. I can imagine how later in the show's run, it was harder to find just one weekly sponsor.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:45:06 AM by PYLW »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:39:08 PM »
The concept of only one advertiser per game show came crashing down after "Twenty-One."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

xavier45

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 01:46:38 PM »
I found this episode that I taped a few years ago and this was indeed sponsered by a Cigarette company. The company was Brown & Williamson Tobacco Co., makers of Kool cigarettes.

PYLW

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 02:24:49 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'156612\' date=\'Jul 3 2007, 01:46 PM\'] I found this episode that I taped a few years ago and this was indeed sponsered by a Cigarette company. The company was Brown & Williamson Tobacco Co., makers of Kool cigarettes. [/quote]

Wow, interesting.  I never knew What's My Line? was sponsored by a cigarette company at any point. Thanks for the clarification.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 02:25:02 PM by PYLW »