Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If Bob Had His Way...  (Read 9242 times)

dzinkin

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 01:45:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155446\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 01:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155445\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 10:30 AM\']
If I got a choice between someone who has hosting experience versus someone who doesn't, regardless of how similar their duties are, I'm taking the person who hosted before.
[/quote]
Please, enlighten me as to what game show Rosie has hosted.
[/quote]
I think PYLdude's point is that she's had experience hosting something, and that alone is a qualification even if it's not a game show that she hosted.

In other words, he'd choose the host of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on USA Network over, say, a comedian to host TPIR, because the former has hosting experience.

dzinkin

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2007, 01:48:57 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155448\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 01:45 PM\']
Then explain to me why I should be so enlightened as to Dave Price being a better potential host, because I don't see it.
[/quote]
He didn't say you should.  He said there was no reason to believe Rosie would be better for having hosted a talk show.  That's not an endorsement of Dave Price.

Like I said earlier, talk show hosts with no game show hosting experience have been given jobs before. And you're a fool to say it couldn't happen here.
Again: he said there was no reason to believe Rosie would be better for having hosted a talk show.  That doesn't translate to "no way in hell will Rosie get it" no matter how much you want it to.

You want to think she's a better choice?  Fine, that's your prerogative.  Putting words in someone else's mouth when that person never said those words isn't.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:51:49 PM by dzinkin »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2007, 01:53:43 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155448\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 10:45 AM\']
Then explain to me why I should be so enlightened as to Dave Price being a better potential host, because I don't see it.
[/quote]
I'm not saying he's better. Gawd, no. Your claim was that Rosie is a better candidate based on her hosting a talk show, which I reject on the basis that what she did on her talk show is not at all significantly different than what Price does on his bits on the Daily Show. And that neither one of those is hosting a game show, making them both equally unqualified.
Like I said earlier, talk show hosts with no game show hosting experience have been given jobs before. And you're a fool to say it couldn't happen here.
Then it's probably a good thing I didn't say that, isn't it? Especially because that was precisely the pedigree held by the #1 can't-miss-but-apparently-he's-contractually-tied-elsewhere candidate, Tom Bergeron, prior to his hiring for Hollywood Squares.

But, you know, don't get the facts get in the way of a good snark.
(Just for the record, if it was up to me, neither one of them should even be considered.)
On this we absolutely agree.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:56:48 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 01:54:05 PM »
EDIT:Eh, nevermind.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:54:36 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'155450\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 10:45 AM\']
I think PYLdude's point is that she's had experience hosting something, and that alone is a qualification even if it's not a game show that she hosted.
[/quote]
I understand his point perfectly. Of course, he seems unwilling to consider anyone else's. Not that that surprises me in the least.

PYLdude

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2007, 01:59:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155454\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 01:55 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'155450\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 10:45 AM\']
[/quote]
I understand his point perfectly. Of course, he seems unwilling to consider anyone else's. Not that that surprises me in the least.
[/quote]

Especially considering that WASN'T my point.

My point was this: if considering Rosie O' Donnell and Dave Price (and STRICTLY those two, and no one else), I have to give a slight edge to Rosie just because of the fact that she has hosted a TV show before. Like I said, neither one of them should be considered anyway.

In other words, he'd choose the host of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on USA Network over, say, a comedian to host TPIR, because the former has hosting experience.

No, I wouldn't.

Stop assuming what my motives are.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:59:42 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2007, 02:06:02 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155455\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 10:59 AM\']
My point was this: if considering Rosie O' Donnell and Dave Price (and STRICTLY those two, and no one else), I have to give a slight edge to Rosie just because of the fact that she has hosted a TV show before. Like I said, neither one of them should be considered anyway.
[/quote]
But that's what Dave said. You're claiming Rosie has more experience (and everyone involved knows that we're only comparing her and Price) because she's hosted something. Granted, Dave's guilty of a huge straw man fallacy with his Kennel Club shot, and he knows better than that, but that IS what you're saying.

And I'm not saying that Rosie doesn't have experience. I'm saying that it's not significantly more than Price's.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 02:07:15 PM by clemon79 »

dzinkin

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155455\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 01:59 PM\']
Especially considering that WASN'T my point.
[/quote]
Actually, yeah, it was:

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155445\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 01:30 PM\']
If I got a choice between someone who has hosting experience versus someone who doesn't, regardless of how similar their duties are, I'm taking the person who hosted before.
[/quote]
And you just made it again here:

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155455\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 01:59 PM\']
My point was this: if considering Rosie O' Donnell and Dave Price (and STRICTLY those two, and no one else), I have to give a slight edge to Rosie just because of the fact that she has hosted a TV show before.
[/quote]
Either "hosting" regardless of the type of show hosted deserves an edge, or it doesn't.  You've now said, three different times in two posts, that it does.  You can't do that and then deny that it's exactly what you said!

No, I wouldn't.
Actually, by your own self-declared standard, yes, you would.  You're free to go back and admit that you were hasty in making such a general declaration, but that would amount to admitting a mistake...

Stop assuming what my motives are.
...and now your motive is, in fact, avoiding admitting to a mistake.

dzinkin

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2007, 02:09:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155456\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 02:06 PM\']
But that's what Dave said. You're claiming Rosie has more experience (and everyone involved knows that we're only comparing her and Price) because she's hosted something. Granted, Dave's guilty of a huge straw man fallacy with his Kennel Club shot, and he knows better than that, but that IS what you're saying.
[/quote]
I merely took his overly general claim to its logical conclusion.  Of course I don't think he'd pick the Kennel Club host for Price.  Of course, at this point I'm not entirely sure CBS wouldn't. ;-)

EDIT: 3000 posts.  Whee.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 02:10:11 PM by dzinkin »

PYLdude

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2007, 02:12:57 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'155458\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 02:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155456\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 02:06 PM\']
[/quote]
I merely took his overly general claim to its logical conclusion.  Of course I don't think he'd pick the Kennel Club host for Price.  Of course, at this point I'm not entirely sure CBS wouldn't. ;-)
[/quote]

My standard, as it was, was not intended by me to be a universal one. I probably should have made that more clear.

Hope you get into the Hall of Fame. ;)

dzinkin

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2007, 02:20:31 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155459\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 02:12 PM\']
My standard, as it was, was not intended by me to be a universal one. I probably should have made that more clear.
[/quote]
And I probably should have been more clear that I was merely trying to show the limits of that standard.  So we're even. ;-)

For the record, I wouldn't want either Rosie O'Donnell or Dave Price in the job either.  I've already expressed my views on the competence and demeanor of the former, and while I like the latter in his current job I don't think, to put it mildly, that Price would be a smooth transition.

Hope you get into the Hall of Fame. ;)
Didn't know we had one.  Maybe we need to open one. ;-)

clemon79

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2007, 02:30:27 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'155458\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 11:09 AM\']
I merely took his overly general claim to its logical conclusion.[/quote]
Oh, now you're being as obstinate as he is. You knew damn well what he meant, and you took advantage that he had respect enough for his audience not to have to clarify it into a fine paste. Which is the very textbook definition of the straw man.

Robert Hutchinson

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2007, 09:10:14 PM »
Rosie sure does get people riled up, huh?

(I'll be over here, failing to inject any levity.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

dzinkin

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2007, 10:42:01 PM »
In retrospect, what I should have said was "...I don't think you meant that the way it sounded, because if you took that to its logical conclusion, this is what you're saying" or at least made it clearer that I didn't really think PYLdude was endorsing the host of the Kennel Club Show to replace TPIR.

PYLdude, if you thought I was trying to make you look like an idiot, I'm sorry.  I know some won't believe that that wasn't my intent, but it truly wasn't.

Neumms

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2007, 10:49:45 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'155450\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 12:45 PM\']
[/quote]

Hey, Fred Willard might be a great host.