Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If Bob Had His Way...  (Read 9330 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 04:51:24 AM »
Look carefully at this picture:

http://www.jamescampion.com/rosie.jpg

and this one:

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/telebuddy/archives/rosie05.jpg

Rosie has "anger", "hostility" and "loud-mouthed New Yorker" written all over her. You would no more cast Paul Lynde:

http://photos17.flickr.com/19653879_4ac91ef71b_m.jpg

to play General Patton:

http://www.usachcs.army.mil/images/pattoncrop.jpg

than cast Rosie to emcee TPIR.

TPIR wouldn't give Rosie a platform for her political views, which were responsible for her currently-high Q rating on The View, so it is questionable whether her popularity on The View would translate. Who knows whether viewers would tune in just to hear her say "This is your showcase"?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 04:54:18 AM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 08:18:41 AM »
Another strike against Rosie: She's not British or Canadian, which I believe is a prerequisite for new game show hosts in the U.S.  :)

I wonder if Ed Sanders might be considered.  I think he's made a few new fans with the Bingo show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

HYHYBT

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 09:14:58 AM »
The thing is, they have (as far as I know) no incentive to announce a choice yet and no excuse not to have one by September. As long as they're taping by the end of August they can start the season on time, and meanwhile suspense is good publicity. But it's not like they *have* to find a second Bob Barker this summer. They can always put in the best they've found so far until either they find whatever they're looking for or they temp works out after all. Surely at least one of the people they've looked into, including the stage shows, is likable and at least competent, and if not, see if Chuck Woolery's busy.

Besides, a taping break gives them time to unstick the big doors :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 09:18:00 AM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 11:05:16 PM »
They can always put in the best they've found so far until either they find whatever they're looking for or they temp works out after all.
Um, if someone is good enough to use temporarily, why not use them permanently?

CarbonCpy

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 11:10:54 PM »
Does anyone else remember back in the day that story that was circulating about Rosie being the new host of Let's Make a Deal?

Just wonderin', s'all.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 11:11:29 PM by CarbonCpy »

JayDLewis

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 09:36:23 AM »
FWIW, Rosie herself, on her blog, confirms that she has a meeting this week with "them" (be that Price, Fremantle or CBS)

http://www.rosie.com/blog/sections/ask-ro/
(you'll have to wade through lots of garbage and "Ro" channeling ee cummings)
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

HYHYBT

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 10:37:50 AM »
I like that she says she'd change it so that the losers get consolation prizes, seeing as they already do.

Um, if someone is good enough to use temporarily, why not use them permanently?
There you go using logic...

I guess what I meant was that the standard for "good enough" would drop fast as time runs out; just about any host would be better than none. And if the show does have to go on with someone who isn't all that good, keep looking and hope to stay on long enough either for either the host you have to get better or for someone else to turn up.

Then again, I can't even pick the right person to hire as cashier so maybe it'd be better to stay out of this :)

I still suspect, based on absolutely nothing, that either they have someone and don't want to announce it yet, or they have someone in mind they aren't sure they can get.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:39:10 AM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Matt Ottinger

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'155435\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 09:36 AM\']
FWIW, Rosie herself, on her blog, confirms that she has a meeting this week with "them" (be that Price, Fremantle or CBS)

http://www.rosie.com/blog/sections/ask-ro/
(you'll have to wade through lots of garbage and "Ro" channeling ee cummings)[/quote]
I didn't wade through it (I'm not a fan of Rosie's writing), but I don't think it means much.  On the one hand, I wouldn't put it past her at all just to make up stories that sound good.  I also don't think it would be any big deal for Fremantle to "take a meeting" with her without having the slightest interest in hiring her.  Happens all the time.

Having said that, if she desperately wants to do it, and CBS is desperate for the publicity, I don't think it would be the most bizarre thing in the world for her to get the gig after all.  I fairly recently said that there was no chance in the world that Rosie would be hired to host TPIR.  Today, as the search drags on, I'm no longer absolutely sure that's true.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JayDLewis

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 01:25:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'155441\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 10:33 AM\']
I didn't wade through it (I'm not a fan of Rosie's writing), but I don't think it means much.
[/quote]

I agree (that it doesn't mean much) but for someone who was completely out of the running a month ago...

Seems like she might be back in the running, at least temporarily.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

TimK2003

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 01:30:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'155441\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 11:33 AM\']

I didn't wade through it (I'm not a fan of Rosie's writing), but I don't think it means much.  On the one hand, I wouldn't put it past her at all just to make up stories that sound good.  I also don't think it would be any big deal for Fremantle to "take a meeting" with her without having the slightest interest in hiring her.  Happens all the time.

Having said that, if she desperately wants to do it, and CBS is desperate for the publicity, I don't think it would be the most bizarre thing in the world for her to get the gig after all.  I fairly recently said that there was no chance in the world that Rosie would be hired to host TPIR.  Today, as the search drags on, I'm no longer absolutely sure that's true.
[/quote]

Fremantle could be meeting with Rosie on a variety of things.  Though Fremantle (AFAIK) has never fronted a US talk show, they know that she is a hot commodity right now.  

What's not to say that they could be looking at her for a new talk show, talent show, 2nd year of Game Show Marathon or a role in the revival of Baywatch as a Beached Whale -- all not necessarily related to filling the shoes of Bob Barker.  

Seeing that syndicators and production companies are already constructing shows for the 2008-09 season (The Mom Show, Bonnie Hunt's talk show, Daytime DoND,...), this could be an opportunity for her down the road, and not for TPIR, though the timing of the meeting could be used to suggest otherwise.

I for one would think that Rosie would cause the ratings to drop more than they would rise.  Fremantle would be better off to use her somewhere else where a television institution is not at risk.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 01:30:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155354\' date=\'Jun 17 2007, 02:50 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155353\' date=\'Jun 16 2007, 11:35 PM\']
but there's one thing she has over Dave Price...SHE'S BEEN A TV HOST BEFORE.
[/quote]
I fail to see why Rosie hosting her talk show makes her any more or less qualified to host TPiR than Dave Price, who handles many similar (and equally game-show-host-unrelated) tasks on the morning show.
[/quote]

And I don't see how being an annoying TV weatherman makes Dave Price equally or more qualified to host TPIR over Rosie.

If I got a choice between someone who has hosting experience versus someone who doesn't, regardless of how similar their duties are, I'm taking the person who hosted before.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 01:39:02 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155445\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 10:30 AM\']
And I don't see how being an annoying TV weatherman makes Dave Price equally or more qualified to host TPIR over Rosie.
[/quote]
Mainly because you don't want to.
If I got a choice between someone who has hosting experience versus someone who doesn't, regardless of how similar their duties are, I'm taking the person who hosted before.
Please, enlighten me as to what game show Rosie has hosted.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 01:41:20 PM »
Am I the only one who's starting not to even care who they select anymore? Fremantle has had at least eight months to find Barker's replacement, and they still can't make a solid decision. All we have is a front runner candidate, and depending on who you ask, the name is not even consistent.

This is becoming a joke.

/I still say do TPiR reruns until they find a host
//At this rate, they'll go through all the episodes until they find one
///Even the half-hour episodes!
////No furs though
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 01:45:01 PM »
[quote name='clemon79' date='Jun 18 2007, 01:39 PM' post='155446']
[quote name='PYLdude' post='155445' date='Jun 18 2007, 10:30 AM']
[/quote]
Mainly because you don't want to.

Then explain to me why I should be so enlightened as to Dave Price being a better potential host, because I don't see it.

Please, enlighten me as to what game show Rosie has hosted.

Like I said earlier, talk show hosts with no game show hosting experience have been given jobs before. And you're a fool to say it couldn't happen here.

(Just for the record, if it was up to me, neither one of them should even be considered.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 01:45:25 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'155443\' date=\'Jun 18 2007, 10:25 AM\']
Seems like she might be back in the running, at least temporarily.
[/quote]
Or that she wants people to think she is.

Which, considering she's looking for a gig, would certainly be a fine way to at least create the illusion of a bidding war.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe