Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If Bob Had His Way...  (Read 9243 times)

byrd62

If Bob Had His Way...
« on: June 16, 2007, 07:58:03 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070616/ap_en_...PhPF9hEWmVxFb8C

How does Rosie's TPiR bit with Bob during Rosie's old talk show qualify as "knowing the show"?

Being a big fan of Price is one thing, hosting it is another.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 09:34:00 AM by byrd62 »

Jimmy Owen

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »
This is what the loyal fans of Bob have been waiting for: An endorsement from the man himself!  Whether the powers that be agree is up in the air, but at least we know where Bob stands.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Sodboy13

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 09:33:58 AM »
I believe this is Bob's way of saying, "I'd like to see the show blow up and die as soon as possible after I depart it, in order to ensure that my legend will never be even partially supplanted."
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

byrd62

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 09:37:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'155285\' date=\'Jun 16 2007, 09:33 AM\']
I believe this is Bob's way of saying, "I'd like to see the show blow up and die as soon as possible after I depart it, in order to ensure that my legend will never be even partially supplanted."
[/quote]

Good point.  The only concern with getting rid of it is that for many CBS affiliates, particularly in Eastern time areas, their midday news would have less viewers if it weren't for the lead-in that TPiR gives them.  

Which leads me to ask whether "the play's the thing", no matter who succeeds Bob?

dazztardly

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 10:01:39 AM »
I'm not sure if Rosie could work as host of Price. She would really have to watch her p's and q's, and snap out of the "Everyone wins" tendencies she had with the talk show.

-Dan Berger
FLASHGames²

tvwxman

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
[/quote]
Oh Bull.

I believe the above comment is Sodboy13's way of saying "I don't like Rosie O Donnell".

Seriously, if you want to believe that line of garbage, then fine. Why can't Bob have a high opinion of someone who's been nice to him for the last ten years, someone who, God forbid, unlike most of the candidates on the list of successors, actually 'has' live show experience ?  Take away her political views (which have no place being on a game show, and guess what? Even with Bill O Reilly hosting the damn show, political views STILL won't have a place being on a game show), and you have someone who is certainly capable of running a 60 minute hour of daytime,  which is EXACTLY what CBS brass better be considering , before they hand off the keys to George Hamilton.

Rosie on CBS daytime would be a dream to affiliates.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

dzinkin

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 10:34:12 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'155289\' date=\'Jun 16 2007, 10:03 AM\']
Take away her political views (which have no place being on a game show, and guess what? Even with Bill O Reilly hosting the damn show, political views STILL won't have a place being on a game show), and you have someone who is certainly capable of running a 60 minute hour of daytime,  which is EXACTLY what CBS brass better be considering , before they hand off the keys to George Hamilton.

Rosie on CBS daytime would be a dream to affiliates.
[/quote]
Disagree 100%.

Bob, for all the stuff we've heard he does off air, is still known by most of the general public as an all-around nice guy who likes to see people win stuff and doesn't have a mean bone in his body.  Rosie had that reputation until she decided to throw it in the garbage by going after Tom Selleck totally unprovoked.  Since then, everything she's done has gone toward furthering her well-deserved reputation as a nasty, egomaniacal b**ch who can't tolerate dissent on anything or from anyone.

It was one thing for Bob to develop the latter reputation among a relatively small subset of game show fans after he'd already been in the job for a while.  Does CBS want someone with such a reputation — and who, unlike Bob, positively revels in it on top of that — among a far larger percentage of the public, going in?  I don't think so.

(And no, I don't want O'Reilly hosting either.  Although I'm not sure if Loofahs Inc. would be an upgrade or a downgrade sponsor-wise.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 10:41:44 AM by dzinkin »

Sodboy13

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 11:55:50 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'155289\' date=\'Jun 16 2007, 09:03 AM\']
Oh Bull.

I believe the above comment is Sodboy13's way of saying "I don't like Rosie O Donnell".
[/quote]

Actually, that would appear on your screen as "I don't like Rosie O'Donnell."  And you're right, I don't.  Hey, if this is 1998, and Rosie's in the 2nd or 3rd year of her talk show, then I'm saying the transition from Bob to Rosie could be a quite successful one.  But it's 2007, and Rosie's image has shifted from the nice, goofy woman who fawns over celebrities and shoots Koosh balls to that of a politically-polarizing, angry, and petty woman with a penchant for the offensive who spews 9/11 conspiracy theories to her audience pre-show.  

I know that her personal politics would not spill over onto Price, and that she wouldn't be bringing up any of those View-esque racy female-oriented topics during playings of 3 Strikes.  But at least in my opinion, she's at a point now where mention of her name immediately turns off a significant portion of the audience, and I would venture to guess that portion would get larger as the target audience gets older and more conservative.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Jimmy Owen

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 12:15:47 PM »
Some questions:

Are ratings for "The View" higher since Rosie left?  

If Rosie does get the Price job, might it signal a return to live telecasts for the sake of topicality? :)  

Have you noticed that the last couple host auditions have be cancelled?

It's possible that CBS doesn't want just frat boys and old ladies watching.  Rosie might bring in younger women demos.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvwxman

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 12:23:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'155306\' date=\'Jun 16 2007, 11:55 AM\']
Actually, that would appear on your screen as "I don't like Rosie O'Donnell."  And you're right, I don't.  Hey, if this is 1998, and Rosie's in the 2nd or 3rd year of her talk show, then I'm saying the transition from Bob to Rosie could be a quite successful one.  But it's 2007, and Rosie's image has shifted from the nice, goofy woman who fawns over celebrities and shoots Koosh balls to that of a politically-polarizing, angry, and petty woman with a penchant for the offensive who spews 9/11 conspiracy theories to her audience pre-show.  

I know that her personal politics would not spill over onto Price, and that she wouldn't be bringing up any of those View-esque racy female-oriented topics during playings of 3 Strikes.  But at least in my opinion, she's at a point now where mention of her name immediately turns off a significant portion of the audience, and I would venture to guess that portion would get larger as the target audience gets older and more conservative.
[/quote]
Much better opinion. Much better than

[/quote]

which has nothing to do with her political politics, conspiracy theories, and which part of the audience she turns on and off...instead has everything to do with prognosicating how Bob Barker's maniacial ego wants to destroy the Price is Right with a (Sodboy's opinion) faulty host.

**And for the record, yes, I agree that she can be a lightning rod for political views. Fine. I also believe that Rosie is smart enough to know that it has no place on a game show. And the fact is, her Q scores are so off the chart high , and there is a good reason why she 'will' find another show to host. Rosie, the personality is good for viewers, good for ratings, and that's all the suits want. If Freemantle and CBS decide that that is good enough for them, they'll give her the job. And I think she'll be fine at it (my opinion).
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tpirfan28

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 03:02:32 PM »
I just want it to be known that I'd rather watch Dave Price host over Rosie.

And it's scary when CNN picks up the story.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »
If Bob was even half as much of a tyrant backstage as we've been led to believe, why in the world would Fremantle even think about bringing in Rosie?  There's gotta be some merit in hiring someone who *hasn't* been sued by a subordinate.
@lambertman

Timsterino

If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 05:38:46 PM »
Rosie hosting Price would be a brilliant move by CBS, IMHO.  It would bring the demos away from the View (which was in trouble before she came on). All you really have to do is look at what she did for the View in the last year.

Regardless of what happens with Price, the new NBC chief has already expressed severe interest in her. I have a feeling she will be ok. :)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 02:35:55 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'155327\' date=\'Jun 16 2007, 03:02 PM\']
I just want it to be known that I'd rather watch Dave Price host over Rosie.
[/quote]

I'd rather watch a macaroni sculpture of Barker host than Dave Price.

Knock Rosie all you want, and knock her nonexistent game show hosting experience all you want (however warranted it may or may not be), but there's one thing she has over Dave Price...SHE'S BEEN A TV HOST BEFORE.

And besides, it's not like companies haven't hired strictly talk-show hosts and newspeople who've never hosted game shows before in the past to host their shows. Syndie Millionaire, anyone?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 02:36:17 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
If Bob Had His Way...
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 02:50:52 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'155353\' date=\'Jun 16 2007, 11:35 PM\']
but there's one thing she has over Dave Price...SHE'S BEEN A TV HOST BEFORE.
[/quote]
I fail to see why Rosie hosting her talk show makes her any more or less qualified to host TPiR than Dave Price, who handles many similar (and equally game-show-host-unrelated) tasks on the morning show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe