Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why GSN  (Read 12348 times)

game show guy

Why GSN
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2007, 12:11:31 PM »
^And my answer to that question is this.

You see, GSN would get better ratings because why in April 2005 did they get rid of their originals in daytime and put the classics back?? Why since January, have they been airing classic game shows in primetime on Saturday nights from 8-10PM? Why since May 19 have they been airing Dawson Feud marathons in primetime from 7PM-Midnight?

The answer is people like GAME SHOWS they like to watch them. otherwise GSN would not have put the classics back in daytime. The numbers for GSN have gone up in daytime since they have put the classic GAME SHOWS back.

However, the reason the weekend schedule should have different shows on it is because GSN during the classic blocks on Saturdays programmed Double Dare 1976 and Now You See It. These shows did well in ratings so why not put them on the schedule??

dzinkin

Why GSN
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2007, 12:51:46 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154660\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 12:11 PM\']
^And my answer to that question is this.

You see, GSN would get better ratings because why in April 2005 did they get rid of their originals in daytime and put the classics back?? Why since January, have they been airing classic game shows in primetime on Saturday nights from 8-10PM? Why since May 19 have they been airing Dawson Feud marathons in primetime from 7PM-Midnight?

The answer is people like GAME SHOWS they like to watch them. otherwise GSN would not have put the classics back in daytime. The numbers for GSN have gone up in daytime since they have put the classic GAME SHOWS back.
[/quote]
Congratulations for not answering the question.   No one has disputed that GSN needs a certain number of classics on the schedule, not even GSN.  What I asked you was what proof you have that adding even more different classics -- the "wider variety" you keep saying they need -- would lead to higher ratings.

However, the reason the weekend schedule should have different shows on it is because GSN during the classic blocks on Saturdays programmed Double Dare 1976 and Now You See It. These shows did well in ratings so why not put them on the schedule??
First, I doubt you have any concrete ratings information that points to how well those blocks did (if you do, please provide a link, and not to the GSN board).  But even if we assume for the sake of argument that those blocks did do well, that tells us absolutely nothing about how well those shows would do as part of the regular schedule.  Viewers may like the shows as a one-time stunt but find that the novelty wears off if the show is on every day.

Try again.  And before you do, please remember that "because why would...?" is not an answer to the question when there's more than one reasonable answer to "why would...?"
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 12:54:23 PM by dzinkin »

Casey

Why GSN
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2007, 09:36:20 PM »
I'm probably going to regret wasting my time but....
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154657\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 10:48 AM\']
I am sorry, but, the variety is lacking a little in todays GSN schedule. Let me explain

In 2000, we had a total of:
25 different game shows total (weekdays + weekends)

GSN's current schedule, we have a total of:
23 different game shows total (weekdays + weekends)
[/quote]
If variety = 25, how can you come to such a drastic conclusion based on your own evidence?  2 fewer distinct shows to me is but a small percentage change....

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Why GSN
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2007, 09:55:21 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154657\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 10:48 AM\']
In 2000, we had a total of 25 different game shows total (weekdays + weekends). [In] GSN's current schedule, we have a total of23 different game shows total (weekdays + weekends)
[/quote]
That's a difference of two shows. Big whoop.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Why GSN
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2007, 09:58:32 PM »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Why GSN
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2007, 04:45:06 AM »
I know I'm going to be repeating for the most part what David said here, but it's time for a basic lesson in how a cable channel operates.

A channel is run primarily off of advertiser dollars.  The more successful a show, the higher the ad rates for advertisers buying time is which turns into more money.  If a channel has a show that is pulling in dismal ratings and not turning any profit whatsoever, that puppy is going to get replaced and fast.

Programming decisions are usually not made on what people like, they're going after demographics.  It's the way TV works.  If GSN thinks it's going to pull in males 18-34 with a Chain Reaction revival because it ranks better than reruns of the Joker's Wild, it's a no-brainer decision.  I side with GSN in this case.

(Drifting off topic a bit) Then again, there is a channel out there called American Life TV, which reportedly does not care about ratings and demographics in what shows they air, but that's purely an example of someone trying to do something out of the box, but how long would that last?

(Back on topic) "Variety" as you put it, is an ambiguous term.  It seems that no matter what GSN does to its schedule, not everyone is satisfied.  For that matter, when has anyone ever been satisfied with a network or cable channel's schedule?

I think you need to learn more before you post these diatribes, if you know more about how a channel works, you could see it from their side.

Chelsea Thrasher

Why GSN
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2007, 04:52:26 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'154777\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 03:45 AM\']
(Drifting off topic a bit) Then again, there is a channel out there called American Life TV, which reportedly does not care about ratings and demographics in what shows they air, but that's purely an example of someone trying to do something out of the box, but how long would that last?[/quote]

Started as Nostalgia Channel in 1985, became Goodlife in the early part of the decade when the Unification Church bought 'em, changed to AmericanLife a while back.  About 22 years.

Granted, they're only in about 10 million households - of which I do believe they're on digital in 9.9 million (I've only heard of a few sporadic cable lineups carrying them on analog, of which my cable lineup is one of said few).  They don't have carriage deals for either major DBS provider.  Their advertisements are usually the stuff that even a lower-mid-level niche channel like GSN won't air at 4 AM, for the most part.

But somehow, they've kept going along for 22 years.  And now they're airing St. Elsewhere, so I'm indeed a happy man :-)

Don Howard

Why GSN
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2007, 09:25:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'154778\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 04:52 AM\']
Started as Nostalgia Channel in 1985, became Goodlife in the early part of the decade when the Unification Church bought 'em, changed to AmericanLife a while back.  About 22 years.
[/quote]
And they don't crunch the credits!

Tim L

Why GSN
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2007, 12:03:46 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'154777\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 03:45 AM\']
(Drifting off topic a bit) Then again, there is a channel out there called American Life TV, which reportedly does not care about ratings and demographics in what shows they air, but that's purely an example of someone trying to do something out of the box, but how long would that last?[/quote]

Granted, they're only in about 10 million households - of which I do believe they're on digital in 9.9 million (I've only heard of a few sporadic cable lineups carrying them on analog, of which my cable lineup is one of said few).  They don't have carriage deals for either major DBS provider.  Their advertisements are usually the stuff that even a lower-mid-level niche channel like GSN won't air at 4 AM, for the most part.

But somehow, they've kept going along for 22 years.  And now they're airing St. Elsewhere, so I'm indeed a happy man :-)
[/quote]

American Life TV is about the only Network I miss having with Dish Network over Time Warner Cable..Though with Dish I have RFD TV which has some neat shows (at least to me).TWC doesnt carry RFD..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 12:05:19 AM by Tim L »

BrandonFG

Why GSN
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2007, 12:33:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'154868\' date=\'Jun 10 2007, 09:25 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
They've got my vote!

/if only more cable networks would not try to equate ratings with dollars
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

narzo

Why GSN
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2007, 07:29:19 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'154881\' date=\'Jun 10 2007, 10:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'154868\' date=\'Jun 10 2007, 09:25 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
They've got my vote!

/if only more cable networks would not try to equate ratings with dollars
[/quote]

Yeah, if only more networks were owned by cults.