Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why GSN  (Read 12392 times)

Johnissoevil

Why GSN
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 12:27:49 AM »
Time to throw in my 2 cents...

GSN, overall, is much better than it was between 1998 and 2001.  If you look at the game show offerings on there now, sure, there's no Joker, Tic Tac, or Hot Potato on the schedule now, but there is more variety.  Back then, you would see a 4 hour block, and then you'd get the same block again immediately after.  Be lucky GSN isn't the way it was in those days.  If it still were, you'd REALLY be whining over a Hot Potato revival being shot on a set resembling a basement.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 12:28:27 AM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Jimmy Owen

Why GSN
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 02:25:16 AM »
To each his own, I guess.  I liked it back in 98.  Sunday Night in Black and White was a treat, Moore TTTT.  I had the foresight to tape the stuff I liked, but I usually kept the TV on GSN all the time back then.  Can't say I do that now.  I don't watch GSN at all in primetime, as it is either recent reruns or shows that don't interest me.  How many times can you watch the same five guys play poker?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

Why GSN
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 02:33:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154620\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 02:25 AM\']
To each his own, I guess.  I liked it back in 98.  Sunday Night in Black and White was a treat, Moore TTTT.  I had the foresight to tape the stuff I liked, but I usually kept the TV on GSN all the time back then.  Can't say I do that now.  I don't watch GSN at all in primetime, as it is either recent reruns or shows that don't interest me.  How many times can you watch the same five guys play poker?
[/quote]
Personally, I thought it was excellent in 1998, particularly toward the end of the Dark Period, although there were still some good shows then as well (i.e. Treasure Hunt). The post-DP lineup made for some fun times. One of my fondest memories was going to the mall, and sneaking to the TV section and flipping to GSN. :-) At the time, I'd only heard of Card Sharks and Match Game, so seeing full episodes was gold to me.

Similarly, my mom's old job had a Dish system, and on the days where I'd go to her job, I'd always sneak to the break room and do the same exact thing. Oh yeah, andnocreditcrunchesw00t! ;-)

What's that phrase about not knowing what you had until it's gone? Hell, I've seen complaints about the 2002 schedule...I'd love to have that back as well.

Thing is, back then, GSN knew what it was. Even when they lost most of the G/T shows, they still knew they were about game shows, mainly classic. The bad originals weren't until 1999-2000. Nowadays, GSN has a serious identity crisis, where they constantly go back and forth. They can't decide whether they want to do classics or originals, reality shows or reality shows with game show elements (and vice versa). I'm not complaining as a fanboi, but as someone who just wants them to be a little more consistent with their decisions, and stop throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

/and stop crunching the credits! >:o
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

game show guy

Why GSN
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 09:02:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'154617\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 12:27 AM\']
Time to throw in my 2 cents...

Back then, you would see a 4 hour block, and then you'd get the same block again immediately after.  Be lucky GSN isn't the way it was in those days.  If it still were, you'd REALLY be whining over a Hot Potato revival being shot on a set resembling a basement.
[/quote]

I do agree with you on the 4 hour repeating blocks, those were bad:).

I would not be whining over Hot Potato, or Joker or Tic Tac. These shows to me are very good. Much better then the Hollywood Squares with Tom Bergeron, and the Love Connections and the Awful Chain Reaction that we have now.

game show guy

Why GSN
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 09:14:37 AM »
I am getting the impression that all of you guys think that "variety" is airing the same shows on the weekdays and on the weekends. i.e. Blockbusters, Chain Reaction, Whammy, Hollywood Squares, Password Plus, etc... is this correct?

Well, my 2 cents on this is that "variety" to me, means having completely DIFFERENT (key word) shows on the weekdays AND the weekends. That in my opinion, is "variety".

tpirfan28

Why GSN
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »
I forgot one thing.

Change the # of WSoB episodes to 2 and add 4 airings of Thousand Dollar Bee.

No credit crunches either.

/that'll teach em to shut up about GSN's weekend schedule
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

Why GSN
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 09:57:43 AM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154633\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 09:14 AM\']
I am getting the impression that all of you guys think that "variety" is airing the same shows on the weekdays and on the weekends. i.e. Blockbusters, Chain Reaction, Whammy, Hollywood Squares, Password Plus, etc... is this correct?[/quote]
No.  No one is arguing with you about what the word 'variety' means.  What we're saying (among many, many other things) is that variety doesn't matter as much as you keep whining that it does.  

I know you're frustrated at the fact that you can't get people to go along with what has become a personal crusade for you.  Please do not use that frustration to twist other people's arguments against you into something they never said.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Why GSN
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 11:00:54 AM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154632\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 08:02 AM\']
I would not be whining over Hot Potato, or Joker or Tic Tac. These shows to me are very good. [/quote]
And you think the shows now get "rerun abused". How many times did GSN go through the cycle of Hot Potato? 5? 6?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 11:11:58 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

game show guy

Why GSN
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 11:04:46 AM »
I would watch Hot Potato until I got every episode. And Tic Tac Dough and The Jokers Wild, had MANY seasons like Match Game and Family Feud, so theres no way they'd get rerunned abused!!

TonicBH

Why GSN
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 11:07:24 AM »
There are only a handful of things I'd want GSN to do, but it's no skin off my nose if they don't. And that's bring back Joker/Tic Tac (but I can understand WHY, unless it's like those Thom McKee/Joe Dunn episodes then nobody would watch) and fewer repeats of Millionaire (Or start licensing the Vieira version already and shove that into mornings with Reege doing primetime).

And I'd have to agree with the majority that Chain Reaction still sucks. Doesn't matter what season.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Jimmy Owen

Why GSN
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 11:14:02 AM »
If a GSN original goes into reruns, does it become a "classic"?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

Why GSN
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 11:19:13 AM »
IMHO, the best GSN I saw was early '97, shortly after I got the channel. Awesome shows, an awesome lineup, 24 hours a day of games (before the 4am-9am infomercials, of course). A time when I could literally just turn on GSN anytime and watch for hours.  Today's product isn't as good as that, but it is definitely better than what was my least favorite time - I'd have to say around 2000, whenever they did the 4 hour blocks repeating (8am-noon would then repeat noon-4pm, same shows and episodes).

Now that they have East/West Coast feeds, that doesn't really happen anymore. That said, I'm content with GSN's current schedule. They still have lots of classic shows on there, with reruns of their originals thrown in, too. Yes, it could be better, but at least we have it.

Ian Wallis

Why GSN
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2007, 11:33:26 AM »
/and stop crunching the credits! >:o

...and pull out a Barry-Enright show once in a while! :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

game show guy

Why GSN
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 11:48:37 AM »
^You know, I really enjoyed GSN in 2000 because that is when I first got it. I love game shows alot and now that I think about it, those 4 hour repeat blocks were not bad. I liked them. If I liked the shows they were airing at the time, I would watch it. EVEN if it was the same episode.

Heck, isn't that why people have giant game show collections? To watch the same episodes of there favorites over and over and over again??

I am sorry, but, the variety is lacking a little in todays GSN schedule. Let me explain

In 2000, we had a total of:

25 different game shows total (weekdays + weekends)

GSN's current schedule, we have a total of:

23 different game shows total (weekdays + weekends)

If you do not believe me, then look at This and This as well as This and count yourself how many different shows were on the schedule. Even with the 4hr. repeat blocks in 2000, it STILL beat out what we have today. GSN just refuses to bring more shows out of the vault and they just move shows around or add some dumb shows i.e. Love Connection/Chain Reaction.

dzinkin

Why GSN
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 12:01:58 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154657\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 11:48 AM\']
I am sorry, but, the variety is lacking a little in todays GSN schedule. Let me explain
[/quote]
Again: we all know what the word "variety" means.  We all know that GSN has aired a wider variety of classics in the past than they do now.

Here's my question for you, and I want you to answer it directly, without going into another rant about what GSN aired in the past and what they should be taking out of the vaults now:

How do you know that GSN would get better ratings, and make more money, by airing more classics?