Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why GSN  (Read 12384 times)

game show guy

Why GSN
« on: June 07, 2007, 06:29:04 PM »
Warning: LONG post

Well, I want this thread to show that alot of people here want to see the GSN weekend schedule revamped sometime soon.

So, If you would, please post why exactly you want the weekend schedule changed on GSN, want you want removed, and what you would want to see on it. Also, please be as detailed with your post if you can.

I will start with this, so here it goes.

The weekend schedule (Saturdays and Sundays) on GSN, In my opinion has really gotten from bad to worse in the past couple of years. Let me explain some more about this trend.

GSN's weekend schedule, from September 2004-April 2005, was the best lineup for Game Shows you could find on the schedule then. We had from 9am-12pm- Card Sharks (Jim Perry) and (Bob Eubanks), Blockbusters (Bill Cullen), Hollywood Squares (Tom Bergeron), Match Game (Syndicated 1979-1982- Gene Rayburn), and Press Your Luck (Peter Tomarken).

Ever since GSN brought back the classics to the daytime lineup witch was in April of 2005, the weekend schedule has just gotten old and worse because want they did was they put the Shows from the Weekend Schedule, Match Game (April 2005), Blockbusters (April 2005) Password Plus (April 2005) Super Password (April 2005), Press Your Luck (January of 2006), Card Sharks (July 2006), and Hollywood Squares (July 2006) to the weekdays.

GSN did change its weekend schedule the weekend of June 10th, 2006 (last year) If I can remember right. However, all they did was put Password Plus, Super Password, and a double run of Lingo in. Which all these shows that they added to the weekend schedule, were already on the weekday schedule.

Right now, the weekend schedule has gotten even worse because they put their WAY overran originals, Whammy! and Chain Reaction on the weekdays and effective tomorrow, adding one Chain Reaction airing to make it an hour on the weekends, replacing Match Game PM.

Here is my whole point to this. Right now the weekend schedule has very few shows that are actually worth watching because over half of the stuff on the weekends you can find on the weekday schedule. The ONLY and I mean ONLY things on the weekend schedule right now that are NOT things you can see on weekdays are the following:

Child's Play (Bill Cullen)
Card Sharks (Bill Rafferty)
Match Game PM (Gene Rayburn)
Greed (Chuck Woolery) (Saturday Only)
The 50 Greatest Game Shows Of All Time (Bil Dywer) (Saturday Only)
I've Got A Secret 2006 (Bil Dywer) (Saturday Only)

That is right, only 6 (six) shows on the weekends that are NOT found on the weekdays. And In my opinion, only 5 out of the 6 of these shows are worth watching, you should know which show I do not enjoy to watch. And when the 50 Greatest Game Shows special finishes on July 7th, what will take its place? If its more stuff you can find on the weekday schedule, then just, wow...

This brings me to another point with this. Who really wants to watch the same shows 7 (Seven) days a week? The shorter lived shows and Sony shows like Blockbusters- December 1980-April 1982, less then two years it ran, Hollywood Squares-only has the 2003-2004 season at the moment. I know it takes longer to cycle on the weekends, but, Blockbusters, Hollywood Squares, and Match Game SYN have been on the weekend schedule since January of 2003, which was the last time the schedule was revamped. I mean I love all these shows on the weekend, but, I already watch and tape them 5 (five) days a week. I know they have them on a different cycle then the weekdays, but, I would think the people who watch GSN often, would want some Variety in the schedule. This is where "Variety" comes into play.

GSN has so many good G/T (Goodson/Todman) shows that are not being shown that could be shown on the weekend schedule like, 1972 I've Got A Secret, To Tell The Truth, CBS Password, Tattletales, Now You See It, etc...

This is what could be done to the weekend schedule that wouldn't be too hard for GSN to do.

Put Bill Rafferty's Blockbusters in the Bill Cullen slot at 10am.

Put a different year of Match Game in the 11am slot like the CBS years, 76 77, 78, etc..

Put the Tom Kennedy Password Plus episodes from the beginning in the slot at 11:30.

Replace Hollywood Squares at 10:30am, Press Your Luck at 12:30PM, Whammy at Noon, Karn Feud 4:00 and 4:30, Love Connection at 1PM, Millionaire at 5PM, Greed at 7PM and the 100,000^8th airings of Chain Reaction at 2:30-3:30PM and Lingo at 1:30-2:30PM for:

Now You See It, Double Dare 1976, I've Got A Secret 1972, Body Language, Ray Combs Family Feud, Bob Eubanks Card Sharks, and other rare Goodson Todman classics, or Sony shows, i.e The 100,000 Pyramid that are NOT on the weekdays.

Super Password hour, and the Dawson 5hr. marathons (Sunday night only) are fine to stay. As well as, Child's Play, Match Game PM, 50 Greatest Game Shows, I've Got A Secret 2006, and Card Sharks (Bill Rafferty).

One last thing, when I got GSN in 2000, there were shows on the weekends that were not on the weekdays and shows on weekdays not on weekends like this:

Weekdays ONLY in December 2000:

Hot Potato
CBS The Jokers Wild
Celeb. Family Feud

Weekends ONLY in December 2000:

Tic Tac Dough
Tattletales
CBS Password
Body Language

They did it 6.5 years ago. Why not do it NOW???

I am done ranting on for now. I want everyone else to say there thoughts as well.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Why GSN
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 06:42:28 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154565\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 05:29 PM\']
So, If you would, please post why exactly you want the weekend schedule changed on GSN, want you want removed, and what you would want to see on it. Also, please be as detailed with your post if you can. [/quote]
I don't want to see the weekend schedule changed. I don't get a chance to view it often during the week.  
That is right, only 6 (six) shows on the weekends that are NOT found on the weekdays
And when you go on in the post, you say 2000 was better, but then, they only had four shows that were "weekends only".
And In my opinion, only 5 out of the 6 of these shows are worth watching, you should know which show I do not enjoy to watch.
I suspect the majority of people reading this don't know what show you dislike. Sometimes C/Ping a thread from GSN's boards doesn't always work.

I think this is one more backhanded way for you to gripe about GSN.  Furthermore, your title reads "Why GSN...?" but as far as I can tell, you never give a coherent reason why they should.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 06:56:31 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

game show guy

Why GSN
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 06:57:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'154570\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 06:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154565\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 05:29 PM\']
So, If you would, please post why exactly you want the weekend schedule changed on GSN, want you want removed, and what you would want to see on it. Also, please be as detailed with your post if you can. [/quote]
I don't want to see the weekend schedule changed. I don't get a chance to view it often during the week.  

you never give a reason why they should
[/quote]

I explain the reason why in the top of my thread. They should change it because the last time it was revamped was January of 2003. And on top of that, some of the shows right now on the schedule have been there since it was revamped in 2003. If you click the  link I have posted, it will show the schedule for January 2003.

Also, ever since they done that revamp in 2003, after that they started to remove the good shows, i.e., Win, Lose, or Draw, Wheel of Fortune, Peter Marshall Hollywood Squares, $100,000 Pyramid, Trivia Trap, etc.... and replaced all of that with Tom Bergeron Squares, yuck, way too many airings of Lingo, and Chain Reaction, Love Connection is still on the schedule, another millionaire airing added, putting shows that are already on the weekday schedule to weekends, i.e. password plus, super password, etc..

All in all, the bottom line what I want to see GSN do more is[/b] "Variety" . They have so many shows that they refuse to take out of the vaults, i.e. TTTT, WML, Tattletales, etc... and instead, they put on their own shows and put the same stuff that is on weekdays to weekends.

Did you not read my last words at the bottom of the first post? When in 2000, GSN had different shows on weekends and had much more Variety??

dzinkin

Why GSN
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 07:01:02 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154565\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 06:29 PM\']
They did it 6.5 years ago. Why not do it NOW???
[/quote]
Because it didn't work for them ratings-wise 6.5 years ago, that's why.

I know they have them on a different cycle then the weekdays, but, I would think the people who watch GSN often, would want some Variety in the schedule.
And as others have stated in far greater detail in the past, I dare say that what you would think and what GSN's ratings data and other studies show likely are miles apart.

As has been explained to you in the past, GSN is in business to make money, not to be nice to the diehard game show fans.  If most people don't notice (never mind care) that GSN's showing the same thing on weekends and weekdays, GSN's going to keep doing it because it works and because it's less expensive than leasing more shows from the Sony library.

game show guy

Why GSN
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 07:02:35 PM »
There were more then that including, Rock+Roll Jeopardy, To Tell The Truth, I've Got A Secret, Beat The Clock, The Dating Game. There that is a total of 10 shows that were different. And I know there was more.

game show guy

Why GSN
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 07:07:39 PM »
^They don't have to put shows from the sony library on. They can put a bunch of stuff from The Goodson/Todman library on like Now You See It, To Tell The Truth, Whats My Line, and others.

Also, if they keep the weekend schedule the way it is, then no skin off my back. I will just do something else during the weekends then. I will watch the shows I want to watch, and not watch what I don't want to watch.

I guess I should have recorded more stuff off of the superior 2000 weekend schedule, IMHO, if I'd known they were going to do this to the weekends now. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

dzinkin

Why GSN
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 07:19:42 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154574\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 06:57 PM\']
I explain the reason why in the top of my thread. They should change it because the last time it was revamped was January of 2003.[/quote]
Why should they do a more extensive revamp now when there's no evidence that it will get higher ratings, particularly when your definition of a "revamp" is "adding many more classics," something that's actually been shown not to work?

Emphasis mine:

All in all, the bottom line what I want to see GSN do more is[/b] "Variety" . They have so many shows that they refuse to take out of the vaults, i.e. TTTT, WML, Tattletales, etc... and instead, they put on their own shows and put the same stuff that is on weekdays to weekends.
This is the distinction you're missing: "what GSG would like GSN to do" and "what GSN should do" are not the same thing.  GSN needs to do what it takes to make money, and that involves catering to a wide audience, not just diehard game show fans.

[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154578\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 07:07 PM\']
^They don't have to put shows from the sony library on. They can put a bunch of stuff from The Goodson/Todman library on like Now You See It, To Tell The Truth, Whats My Line, and others.
[/quote]
Again, if adding more classics doesn't help them make money, why should they do it?

Again: "Because the last time GSN showed The $100,000 Pull My Finger was in 2000" is an explanation for why you might want GSN to show The $100,000 Pull My Finger.  It is not in any way a justification for why GSN actually should show The $100,000 Pull My Finger.  The sooner you understand that, the sooner you'll understand why GSN does what it does.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 07:20:06 PM by dzinkin »

game show guy

Why GSN
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 07:22:33 PM »
You know David, I don't care anymore about how GSN programs the weekends. I really don't. I will watch if I want to.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Why GSN
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 07:35:05 PM »
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154583\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 04:22 PM\']
You know David, I don't care anymore about how GSN programs the weekends. I really don't. I will watch if I want to.
[/quote]
So, wait. Now that your long-winded thesis has been efficiently and thoroughly refuted, you're gonna play the "Oh, I didn't care anyhow!" card?

Enjoy your Prize.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

game show guy

Why GSN
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 07:38:54 PM »
^yep, I am dead serious too:) Again, I will watch the good stuff, and find something else to do during the shows that are on weekdays that are on.

tpirfan28

Why GSN
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 08:04:54 PM »
What I think should be permanently on GSN's weekend schedule:

- the 10/17/84 episode of daytime TPiR
 - episode 3 of Show Me The Money
 - episode 1 of The Rich List
 - episode 71 of Narz Now You See It
 - three consecutive episodes of World Series of Blackjack
 - the 9/16/85 daytime episode of WoF
 - episode 345 of Press Your Luck

The rest can be infomercials.  This list will be repeated every Saturday and Sunday for the rest of time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:05:41 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

Why GSN
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 08:13:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'154588\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 08:04 PM\']
What I think should be permanently on GSN's weekend schedule:

- the 10/17/84 episode of daytime TPiR
 - episode 3 of Show Me The Money
 - episode 1 of The Rich List
 - episode 71 of Narz Now You See It
 - three consecutive episodes of World Series of Blackjack
 - the 9/16/85 daytime episode of WoF
 - episode 345 of Press Your Luck

The rest can be infomercials.  This list will be repeated every Saturday and Sunday for the rest of time.
[/quote]
And no credit crunches!!!1!!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Why GSN
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 08:32:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154584\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 04:35 PM\']
So, wait. Now that your long-winded thesis has been efficiently and thoroughly refuted, you're gonna play the "Oh, I didn't care anyhow!" card?
[/quote]
[quote name=\'game show guy\' post=\'154585\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 04:38 PM\']
^yep, I am dead serious too:)
[/quote]
Everybody, all together, sing it with me: Wow.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

saussage

Why GSN
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 11:36:30 PM »
Nobody should be dead serious on this forum :)
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

dzinkin

Why GSN
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 12:07:09 AM »
Memo to Mr. GSG: no matter how many times you might wish otherwise, the definition of "discussion" still is not "I say something and everyone agrees with me."