Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your visit to seee Bob Barker  (Read 5147 times)

Ian Wallis

Your visit to seee Bob Barker
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 04:07:21 PM »
Anyone else have particular memories of your visit or visits over the years now that its rapidly coming to an end?

For those who might have missed it the first time, details of my experience are here:

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/St...ricetaping.html

I agree with the statement that there's so much going on it's hard to follow everything.  I'd really like to get out there again sometime to see another taping just to take more of it in.  

Hopefully they'll announce the new host soon so well know when tapings will resume.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 01:38:16 AM »
I'm not nearly as big a TPIR fan as a lot of you are, so my story is a lot shorter.  I wanted to see the show, mostly just to say that I did.  A couple of days after my Jeopardy taping, when I was feeling pretty low, a dear friend arranged VIP seats for my wife and me.  ("VIP" meaning we weren't going to get picked to play, but we didn't have to stand in line all day and we sat right behind Contestants Row.)  Seeing the show in person was a memorable experience, and just what I needed at that particular time.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jdhernandez

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 03:09:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'154139\' date=\'Jun 3 2007, 12:38 AM\']
I'm not nearly as big a TPIR fan as a lot of you are, so my story is a lot shorter.  I wanted to see the show, mostly just to say that I did.  A couple of days after my Jeopardy taping, when I was feeling pretty low, a dear friend arranged VIP seats for my wife and me.  ("VIP" meaning we weren't going to get picked to play, but we didn't have to stand in line all day and we sat right behind Contestants Row.)  Seeing the show in person was a memorable experience, and just what I needed at that particular time.
[/quote]

I will try keep it short and sweet.... but what you described in so few words, Matt, is how I felt a couple times when I attended Price is Right, as well.

Being there to watch a show just always seemed to perk me up, as well as other shows taped in 33. (Hollywood Squares being my other fav) Dane Cook was right... the PiR has healing powers, especially in person. =)

There's so much more I could say, but I will leave it at this: I love the baseball analogy that you guys brought up earlier. Walking into Dodger Stadium, I cannot help but be taken in by all the historic moments that have taken place inside there, like Sandy Koufax' perfect game, Don Drysdale's scoreless innings record, Fernando-mania, Gibson's homer, and many others. Sure, going to a bunch of other different ballparks in the country is a great experience, but nothing beats the classic stadiums. (I still want to check out Wrigley, Fenway, and the two in NY)

Being at a Price is Right taping is like going to the MECCA of all game shows. Not only do you absorb the fact that you are about to see a taping of a quality show... but you are standing in the same studio which graced Gene Rayburn, Dick Clark, Richard Dawson, Peter Tomarken, Bill Cullen, and a plethora of other game show legends. I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, that's a pretty surreal feeling.
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 05:46:14 AM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'154142\' date=\'Jun 3 2007, 12:09 AM\']
Don Drysdale's scoreless innings record,
[/quote]
You misspelled "Orel Hershiser's."

Dodger Stadium was a particularly special one for me, as I was a HUGE Dodger fan (and, more importantly, a Dodger fan who lived in Northern California, so I didn't know what it was like going to watch them without having idiot Giants fans running their yaps all day long) until...well, until they traded Piazza; that, to me, was the moment the franchise jumped the shark. And my first trip there wasn't until 1992. I *still* haven't been able to do the whole go-early-and-take-it-in thing there, because we were rushed the two times I was there. But, still, sitting there with a Dodger Dog...that was as close as I'll ever come to a religious experience.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy_1

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 10:24:55 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'154037\' date=\'Jun 1 2007, 07:20 PM\']
Anyone else have particular memories of your visit or visits over the years now that its rapidly coming to an end?
[/quote]

I have some fun memories:
1.) I got in line particularly early one time.  As I entered the studio, I saw the Golden Road props on stage.  KNowing that means Bob will walk in from the back, and seeing there were still seats available on the aisle row.  I broke away from the line the pages were ordering to fill in one row and grabbed an end seat farther back.  I was admonished to move down, but refused.  Good thing I stayed - Bob walked right by and I "high fived" him.  A couple of things I noticed.
a.) Bob doesn't make eye contact with those he high-fives.  His gaze is straight down the aisle and he walks with a fast consistent gait.  He isn't trying to hit your hand.   You will try to line your hand up with his raised hand.
b.) His make-up looks very thick and orange in person - sort of the "carrot" Al Gore looked like in the one Presidential debate he styled his hair like Ronald Reagan.
2.) One funny line from Bob.  In response to the question, "Do you do anything other than host?" Bob replied, "Ma'am, I do everything here.  I unload the prize trucks when they arrive.  I replace the light bulbs.  I do the painting.  I cook the snacks.  I sweep up after the show.  And when I sit down to take a break, they all tell me GET BACK TO WORK!!"
3.) There was a fifteen minute tape delay because the boat offered in Golden Road was stuck in the back doorway.
4.) The cards on the Money Game look more orange then the pink they come across on tv.
5.) If you feel bad because you weren't selected, take confort - I was talking to some cheerleaders from  UNLV - One guy admitted he was the only one of four who hadn't been picked during the week of shows they attended.  He didn't get picked that day either.
6.) a Dice Game player rolled a 5 as one of the last numbers in the price (not the thousands digit).  He said "higher" because his girlfriend told him to.  The number was lower.  I wonder if it's his ex-girlfriend now.
7.) We all cheered loudly when a Marine played Hole In One and won the car on his second putt.
8.) The whole audience was screaming in unison "ice cream" in the Grand Game - he selected something else and lost.

jdhernandez

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 03:46:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154145\' date=\'Jun 3 2007, 04:46 AM\']
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'154142\' date=\'Jun 3 2007, 12:09 AM\']
Don Drysdale's scoreless innings record,
[/quote]
You misspelled "Orel Hershiser's."

Dodger Stadium was a particularly special one for me, as I was a HUGE Dodger fan (and, more importantly, a Dodger fan who lived in Northern California, so I didn't know what it was like going to watch them without having idiot Giants fans running their yaps all day long) until...well, until they traded Piazza; that, to me, was the moment the franchise jumped the shark. And my first trip there wasn't until 1992. I *still* haven't been able to do the whole go-early-and-take-it-in thing there, because we were rushed the two times I was there. But, still, sitting there with a Dodger Dog...that was as close as I'll ever come to a religious experience.
[/quote]

No, no, no... Orel Hershiser broke the record in San Diego at the old Jack Murphy Stadium, and the game before THAT was at old Candlestick Park. Yea, that's it... =)

I think what qualified as a religious experience for me this year was being able to attend Jackie Robinson Day at the stadium. Seeing all the Dodgers wear #42 gave me the goosebumps. That was something special, and probably the only time I was there nearly 2 hours early. Maybe you should do the "go-early-and-take-it-in thing" here one time!

Huh?!? Wha...? Oh yea... I got WAY off-topic there. Yea, Bob Barker... I'll miss him on PiR.

/Don Drysdale appeared as a contestant on To Tell the Truth.
//Jackie Robinson was a mystery guest on What's My Line?
///.... so was Roy Campanella
////.... Duke Snider, too.
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

tpirfan28

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'154166\' date=\'Jun 3 2007, 03:46 PM\']
/Don Drysdale appeared as a contestant on To Tell the Truth.
//Jackie Robinson was a mystery guest on What's My Line?
///.... so was Roy Campanella
////.... Duke Snider, too.
[/quote]
/////Don Sutton was on MG.
//////ObBob: So was Barker.

Sadly, I've never been there.  I'd rather be the new guy's first contestant rather than one of Barker's last.  Unless that host is Dave Price.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 04:25:59 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'154168\' date=\'Jun 3 2007, 01:20 PM\']
Sadly, I've never been there.  I'd rather be the new guy's first contestant rather than one of Barker's last.  Unless that host is Dave Price.
[/quote]
If said host wanted to give me a potload of cash for playing a game, I don't care if that host is Gilbert Gottfried.

/actually, doing schtick with Gilbert Gottfried would completely rock
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe