Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your visit to seee Bob Barker  (Read 5145 times)

The Pyramids

Your visit to seee Bob Barker
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:20:09 PM »
On Wednesday June 18th 2003 I attended the taping of the second show to 'TPIR's  32nd. season.

I was lucky to have gotten having arrived at the relatively late hour of 5:30AM. We were seated at about 2:10. Randy West, in for Rod Roddy, came out first and did the warm up. Our seats were in the back on the far right. Had this been a show were Bob enters from the back  we would have been among the ones to see him first.

At 2:30 pm the audience was at a fevor-pitch.It was hard the hear Randy over the cheers, but then I saw on the above monitors how the familiar camera pan of the audience was underway - the show had begun!

The list of the first four names is as fun as it appears on TV. I noticed model Shane standing by for the microphone hand-off. Soon all four contestants were in place. When the announcer said "and now here is the star...." I looked directly at door number two. Seconds later Bob Barker was suddenly standing there! I was one of the first people there to stand up and cheer. The best example of how smaller it all is is the fact the Bob's walk to the edge of the stage is really a short distance. The following microphone exchange only takes a few steps as well.

Through the show there is a line from both ends of the stage of camera operators, producers and stage hands always at work. For the entire hour there was so much to see that I was not always following the show like I would be at home. With all of the audience cheering it was sometimes hard to hear as well, but I was not complaining.

And so I went. The big winner of the day was a young man who started further away from me in the line.

Anyone else have particular memories of your visit or visits over the years now that its rapidly coming to an end?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 08:30:07 AM by PaulD »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 09:03:55 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'154037\' date=\'Jun 1 2007, 06:20 PM\']
Anyone else have particular memories of your visit or visits over the years now that its rapidly coming to an end?
[/quote]
Yes.  And if I do say so myself, I did a brilliant job talking about my first visit a little bit here and a lot more here.

/2800 posts.  Can you dig it?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 09:32:26 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'154043\' date=\'Jun 1 2007, 09:03 PM\']
[/quote]

Rookie.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

davemackey

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 10:20:19 PM »
First time I saw "Price" live was in January 1986. Rod Roddy had just been named the permanent announcer and was struggling with laryngitis during the show we taped. (No, he wasn't wearing the garish suits back then.)

The first one-bid item was a grandfather clock from Howard Miller and he nearly coughed up a hairball reading the plug. He had a full liter bottle of Evian at his podium and it was just about gone by the end of the show. (We were sitting right in front of Rod's podium.)

But even back then we marvelled at how Barker just kept going and going and going.

SRIV94

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 11:35:33 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'154046\' date=\'Jun 1 2007, 08:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'154043\' date=\'Jun 1 2007, 09:03 PM\']
[/quote]

Rookie.
[/quote]
Well, that's what happens when I don't spend 20 hours a day on the board.

Oh, sorry, that's Lemon.  I get the two of you mixed up.  :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:37:35 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 04:34:01 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'154057\' date=\'Jun 1 2007, 08:35 PM\']

[/quote]
I am offended. For one, I know I get more than four hours a night of sleep. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 06:04:28 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154067\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 04:34 AM\']
[/quote]
In one sitting? Or is that 15 minutes here, an hour there.... ? :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 06:05:05 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 06:46:12 AM »
I never saw the show in person, but Paul's description of what goes on reminds me of my experience at an MLB game.  Wait to get in, get overwhelmed at the surroundings, not able to pay attention to the game and unaware when it was over. I'd rather see it on the tube from the comfort of my easy chair.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 06:47:48 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 09:56:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154067\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 03:34 AM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'154057\' date=\'Jun 1 2007, 08:35 PM\']

[/quote]
[/quote]
I didn't say you were awake all the hours you were on the board.  Hasn't it been said that you could write some of your wit in your sleep?  :)
Doug

Card Shark

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 11:04:44 AM »
I attended  a taping on January 7, 1999. I arrived at the same time you did and was the fifth person in line. I know what you mean about the small set and not being able to fully pay attention until you realize what's going on once the hype slowly lets down at the beginning. What a fun day!
Adam Strom

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 01:25:23 PM »
I just came back from the May 31st taping (yes, I made it in!), and I must say that it was one of the most exciting experiences that I have ever witnessed. The set is just full of color, and the audience was amazing. Plus, making new friends during the previous day's taping was as fun an experience.

Barker's still got it, and he worked the crowd like there's no tomorrow. Great stuff, and well worth the 27 hours I spent outside and inside TV City.

I got to see him before he leaves the show. Now, I can move on.

The Excited, Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

dzinkin

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 01:25:32 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'154078\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 09:56 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154067\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 03:34 AM\']
[/quote]
I didn't say you were awake all the hours you were on the board.  Hasn't it been said that you could write some of your wit in your sleep?  :)
[/quote]
And make gazpacho at the same time, as legend would have it. :-)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 01:26:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154071\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 03:46 AM\']
I never saw the show in person, but Paul's description of what goes on reminds me of my experience at an MLB game.  Wait to get in, get overwhelmed at the surroundings,
[/quote]
This is what I LOVE about going to a major league game. Get there early, get in the stadium / arena / whatever, and sit there while it's still relatively peaceful and just take in the surroundings; the scoreboard, the perfectly manicured field / ice surface, all of it. Satisfies me in a way few other things do.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 02:24:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154092\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 12:26 PM\']
This is what I LOVE about going to a major league game. Get there early, get in the stadium / arena / whatever, and sit there while it's still relatively peaceful and just take in the surroundings; the scoreboard, the perfectly manicured field / ice surface, all of it. Satisfies me in a way few other things do.
[/quote]

Amen! Since I live in Minnesota, I have to go out of town to get it, but to look at Major League grass, and to see how bright the white home uniforms are (unless they're wearing dumb softball tops that day), there's nothing like it. Hockey, too, has that strange electricity about it. I much prefer watching basketball, even the Timberwolves, but it can't match the feeling in a rink.

I saw The Price Is Right in person back in '95, before everyone fell all over Bob with how enthusiastic he was, and frankly, it was a letdown. He admitted to not having slept well the night before, and apparently we didn't give him enough energy to feed off. I also noticed that it was the people who were boorish, dislikable and rude to the ushers in line who came on down, which was another disappointment. The one good thing was, back then, you didn't have to show up before sunrise to get in.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 03:43:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154092\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 01:26 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154071\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 03:46 AM\']
I never saw the show in person, but Paul's description of what goes on reminds me of my experience at an MLB game.  Wait to get in, get overwhelmed at the surroundings,
[/quote]
[/quote]
Which reminds me, I need to make a trip to Dallas and see a Rangers game, despite their record. ;-)

We don't have major league in Norfolk, just semi-pro, but the atmosphere is similar with our minor-league baseball team...honestly, I get the same feeling when I go to college football games at HU. The closer it gets to pre-game, the more your anticipation rises, esp. when you hear the marching band coming up the street. :-)

/enough waxing poetic
//must also go to a VT game
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!