Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yet ANOTHER GSN change  (Read 10926 times)

JMFabiano

Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2003, 10:47:15 AM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 07:36 PM\'] They've got to pay for Millionaire somehow since I doubt they're printing up bills in one of the buildings in the Sony lot.

(the mouse does need his cheese, you know...it ain't cheap!) [/quote]
 As such, just to be different can we bash Michael Eisner instead?  That's always fun.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2003, 10:50:38 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 07:29 PM\'] I think I'll say......

[expletive deleted]

At this rate, we may be seeing TJW and TTD back in.......2030, and even then it'll be the 1990 versions because "YOU WWIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!" and "Next definition, last definition, next word" became edgy sometime.:-P [/quote]
 As much as you didn't want this to make its debut in this forum, dare I say they would be...HIP 4 DA KIDZ?????????????
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2003, 11:28:52 AM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 11:06 PM\'] Sorry, but I can say I just don't plain watch it anymore.  Makes a guy want to save some bucks and drop to a lower tier of service. [/quote]
 Sure, and that's fine...I have to admit the other day I was thinking about it myself, 'cuz all I do is watch $100K Pyramid, but then I realized I have to have the digital in order for me to order the hockey package, so...

But what I was referring to was specifically people stamping their feet and saying \"THAT DOES IT! NO MORE B/W OVERNIGHT FOR ME!\", which doesn't seem to be the case...those who were watching four hours beforehand seem to be willing to bitch majorly and still watch two, so GSN's getting what they want.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2003, 12:24:10 PM »
I think what some people are upset about is knowing what GSN has access through via Sony, and seeing them not show much interest in ever running it. I think most of us are just hoping for even one slot per day, or an hour or two on weekends where rarer shows would be run, and are having a hard time understanding why this doesn't happen. That's my take on it anyway.
That's exactly what I'd like to see too Ian, and you put it very well.  If I was running the show, my nod to the hardcore fans would be a couple hours on a weekend afternoon, when viewership would be negligible anyway.  I'd run episodes from four different series every week, with no logic or rationale to it.  You might get The Joker's Wild, you might get Celebrity Charades, you might get Go.  MAYBE I'd promote what each week's lineup would be, but maybe I'd just leave it a mystery until they aired.  Call it \"Retro Grab Bag\" -- or something catchier.

The problem?  The moment you run an episode of something everybody's clammoring for, like The Joker's Wild, somebody's going to come along and say, \"Why did they show that one?  They showed that one on March 13, 2001.  I wanted to see something from later in the run.\"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2003, 01:19:28 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Sep 19 2003, 02:22 AM\']....one wonders why GSN's viewership has gone down 40% in one year.[/quote]
The two things that's hurt GSN's ratings, IMHO:

1)  \"Funny Money.\"  It was better than some people gave it credit for but I think Joe Viewer was thinking that if he wanted to see standup, he'd watch Comedy Central and not have it interrupted by a game show.

2)  \"Naturally Stoned.\"  It was quite obvious that America didn't want to know about the private life of a game show host (and it was getting quite uncomfortable for GSN in particular at the end, with the news of Chuck's separation).  But because they put so much in every sense of the word on \"Naturally Stoned\"...

2)  *Less* hours of original production.  It was obvious that \"Friend or Foe?\" and \"Russian Roulette\" were catching on and they should've renewed those shows for third cycles along with \"Lingo\" and \"Cram.\"  I was doing some math the other day and barring any surprises, GSN will only produce half the hours of original programming this year than they did last year.  (I'm counting the first season of \"Cram\" in the 2002 totals because that's when production occurred.)  If they weren't going to produce new eps, those shows should've been pulled out of prime time and replaced by something fresher, whether original, acquisition or library.  People who were watching \"FOF?\" or \"RR\" last year were seeing reruns and moving on.  A *big* mistake.

And that's my belief on GSN's ratings drop--and the lack of B&E shows airing has nothing with it.

ilb4ever2000

Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2003, 04:35:37 PM »
And that's my belief on GSN's ratings drop--and the lack of B&E shows airing has nothing with it.

Again, I don't think anybody implied that.

Now if I may chime in about the one-hour B&WO:

1) It's possible this will be a rotation of shows, ala the old one-hour B&W Sunday Night.

2) And as long as I've brought that up, may I remind you that there was a time when the B&W shows were only on for one hour ONCE-a-week?

PeterMarshallFan

Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2003, 05:12:35 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Sep 19 2003, 03:22 AM\']
After all, with all of the whining I have seen, I don't think I've seen a single soul suggest an out and out boycott, so it seems GSN has lost nothing-nada-zero-not a sausage from doing this.

Actually....with these news combined with their horrible originals (Funny Money and Cram come to mind) and the news of GSN taking off "Press Your Luck" off the weekday schedule, I think I may be the first one to actually admit that I would totally boycott GSN totally. Heck, I never have enough time to watch GSN these days anyway. Since I usually get home late, I always look forward to the Black & White Overnight....and I will enjoy it a lot more with Password making a comeback!

But with all of these horrible changes, I may boycott GSN more than I am right now. Nowadays, I watch about 6 hours of GSN total a week....and half of that is the current PYL blocks on right now. The other half is B&W Overnights. Once PYL is gone and B&W overnights are cut in half (probably without PW), I may not even watch GSN anymore.

....one wonders why GSN's viewership has gone down 40% in one year. [/quote]
 I second that. I can't even watch Marshall HS anymore. The rerun abuse is THAT bad.

[and before anyone says, \"be glad it's being taken off,\" there are still 2850 episodes GSN could aquire, and likely dirt cheap to boot]

Winkfan

Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2003, 05:21:41 PM »
It's possible this will be a rotation of shows, ala the old one-hour B&W Sunday Night.
You know, that's what I was now thinking. GSN might spotlight a different show per night with 'back-to-back' episodes, kinda like a 'mini' version of their 'vertivision' blocks. Something like this:

Monday: Beat the Clock
Tuesday: Two For the Money
Wednesday: What's My Line
Thursday: To Tell the Truth
Friday: Password
Saturday: The Name's the Same
Sunday: I've Got A Secret

What would you think about that?

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Michelina Martel of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:51:37 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

whampyl03

Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2003, 11:48:43 PM »
You know, that's what I was now thinking. GSN might spotlight a different show per night with 'back-to-back' episodes, kinda like a 'mini' version of their 'vertivision' blocks. Something like this:

I'm for it.

Don Howard

Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2003, 09:35:52 PM »
Something like this:

Your lips to His ears, Tamster.

Gromit

Yet ANOTHER GSN change
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2003, 07:25:50 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Sep 19 2003, 12:22 AM\'] But with all of these horrible changes, I may boycott GSN more than I am right now. Nowadays, I watch about 6 hours of GSN total a week....and half of that is the current PYL blocks on right now. The other half is B&W Overnights. Once PYL is gone and B&W overnights are cut in half (probably without PW), I may not even watch GSN anymore.

....one wonders why GSN's viewership has gone down 40% in one year. [/quote]
 Wow. Is that really how much it's gone down?

Makes sense to me, that's exactly what's happened to me. I used to watch all the time. Now, as more and more classics have been reduced to crap like Funny Money, Friend or Foe etc, I find I catch the odd Lingo, Whammy, and B&WO.

With Whammy going to something like 6:00am pacific, that means I'll no longer see that, and now a full hour less of B&WO?

Looks like I'll be down 75% or so from last year.