Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Grand Slam" host named...  (Read 11989 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Grand Slam" host named...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 01:02:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154370\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 09:18 AM\']
In my opinion, when you try to please everybody you end up pleasing nobody.  We'll see, I guess.
[/quote]
But this goes back to the whole issue we covered with Game Show Marathon: us game show geeks are going to watch regardless.

So given the choice between two potential audiences: game show geeks, or game show geeks AND sports geeks, which one are you going to choose? Hint: one is a superset of the other.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154381\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 01:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154370\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 09:18 AM\']
In my opinion, when you try to please everybody you end up pleasing nobody.  We'll see, I guess.
[/quote]
But this goes back to the whole issue we covered with Game Show Marathon: us game show geeks are going to watch regardless.

So given the choice between two potential audiences: game show geeks, or game show geeks AND sports geeks, which one are you going to choose? Hint: one is a superset of the other.
[/quote]

The problem is neither group is satisfied with the resulting product.  Unless I missed a press release, there will be no Game Show Marathon this year.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154383\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 10:17 AM\']
The problem is neither group is satisfied with the resulting product.  Unless I missed a press release, there will be no Game Show Marathon this year.
[/quote]
You have a slight point, so I shall go to my other stock argument: they need to try to appeal to SOMEONE other than the die-hard game show nuts, because there aren't enough of us to matter.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 05:46:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154381\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 01:02 PM\']So given the choice between two potential audiences: game show geeks, or game show geeks AND sports geeks, which one are you going to choose? Hint: one is a superset of the other.[/quote]
Do you, perhaps, mean "a larger set"? A superset would contain the entirety of the other set.

I think all of this is wild supposition, but "game show geeks" and "sports geeks" are hardly the only audiences that would need to be considered. I'm fairly sure that the group "casually interested in sports shows" is larger than its geeky equivalent, and I know the same is true for "casually interested in game shows". How much one is likely to be turned off by things that appeal to the other is, of course, very complicated.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 05:54:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'154403\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 02:46 PM\']
Do you, perhaps, mean "a larger set"? A superset would contain the entirety of the other set.
[/quote]
Which it does. One set is "game show geeks AND sports geeks", and one set is just "game show geeks." The latter is wholly contained within the former.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »
I read that too quickly--my fault. I read it as "geeks for game shows AND sports", that is, individuals who really like both. The wording does not support that reading, though.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 11:47:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154364\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 11:36 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154363\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 07:51 AM\']
So, I take it this is another "game show" that is covered as if it is a sporting event.  Why do they do that?[/quote]Because, as always, it gets people who are not necessarily interested in game shows, but are interested in sporting events, to watch.[/quote]

Another possibility is that it would be similar to how it was presented in the UK.

on the UK version, Carol Vorderman and an "analyst" were the booth hosts, like sportscasters, while another gentleman was the quizmaster (and IIRC, a very good one).

This is a competition, so why not treat it like one?  Besides, with all the armchair contestants out there, it almost seems like a no-brainer.

/Metagaming is fun.
This signature is currently under construction.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 12:53:46 AM »
I'd prolly watch more baseball if Wink Martindale were hosting the games on the field, explaining the object of the game and doing brief interviews with each player as he came to bat.  Don't think the sport fan would like it, tho.

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 01:05:38 AM »
Jimmy, you can keep this argument up until you're blue in the face, but if you're still gonna watch the show, it's all smoke.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 01:10:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154377\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 09:48 AM\']You're right.  The genre has gone beyond what I enjoy.  Maybe they could dress up in sports apparel?[/quote]I thought this worked perfectly for World Series of Pop Culture. But why bother to look at the real point when you can get a snark in the way, right? The real point is that GSN, no matter what some of this board's members want to think, is that GSN isn't programming for us. "Grand Slam", at least from a production standpoint, is nothing more than an attempt to gain eyeballs for the ads.

If we were to generously total the number of hard core game show geeks in this country at 10,000, and then assume that every single one was going to watch the show live, then that represents 0.01 of what is required to earn a single ratings point. Programming to the people who were already going to watch doesn't work. If it means that Kevin Olmstead comes down the ramp to strains of Night on Bald Mountain, and they have a HPOA interviewing people backstage after the matches, then that's that. If you don't like what the genre has become, then that's your dime, but please don't ruin it for the rest of us.

While there is ultimately only one reason why GSM won't be returning, there are several different bullet points to support that. For my money, the things that were done right were done very well. I think your cliche is out of gas.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 01:26:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154383\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 12:17 PM\']
[/quote]
Well, here you would be wrong.  I'm both a sports fan and a game show fan, and I had no issues with it at all.  Just because game shows aren't taped in a NYC studio and give away $5000 in the bonus round these days don't make them any less of a show.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 01:29:52 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'154452\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 01:10 AM\']If it means that Kevin Olmstead comes down the ramp to strains of Night on Bald Mountain, and they have a HPOA interviewing people backstage after the matches, then that's that. If you don't like what the genre has become, then that's your dime, but please don't ruin it for the rest of us.[/quote]
I lol'd at the mental picture, even though having theme songs is probably a) too much and b) too borderline to wrestling for my and probably some others' tastes.

If there isn't an HPOA interviewing people backstage, I would be surprised.
This signature is currently under construction.

uncamark

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'154532\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 01:31 PM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'154452\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 01:10 AM\']If it means that Kevin Olmstead comes down the ramp to strains of Night on Bald Mountain, and they have a HPOA interviewing people backstage after the matches, then that's that. If you don't like what the genre has become, then that's your dime, but please don't ruin it for the rest of us.[/quote]
I lol'd at the mental picture, even though having theme songs is probably a) too much and b) too borderline to wrestling for my and probably some others' tastes.

If there isn't an HPOA interviewing people backstage, I would be surprised.
[/quote]

There will be.  It's Amanda Byram of "Paradise Hotel" fame here in the U.S., although she's big in Ireland and the UK--well, as most "presenters" who aren't Bruce Forsyth or Ant and Dec can be "big."

tvwxman

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 07:49:55 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'154537\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 03:02 PM\']
There will be.  It's Amanda Byram of "Paradise Hotel" fame here in the U.S., although she's big in Ireland and the UK--well, as most "presenters" who aren't Bruce Forsyth or Ant and Dec can be "big."
[/quote]
She isn't backstage interviewing contestants, she's, now wait for it, color commentating. (Playing the Carol Vordeman role from the original).

I went to a taping yesterday. Oy! It's a good show, or at least, it will be a good show on the air..... in person, be prepared to be bored out of your mind. You will not hear Dennis's commentary, nor will you see a 'full show' taped. All you will see are the two minute competitions between the players. I sat for 4 hours and watched three competitions last night. It was, painful for the audience.

If you're thinking about going, trust me, don't. Wait for the show. You'll thank me later.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 10:23:33 AM »
Dennis' radio show is airing a repeat right now, so I guess we won't hear too much about Grand Slam on the show today.  He was live yesterday.