Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN says Show Me....  (Read 11477 times)

itiparanoid13

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2007, 01:59:30 PM »
I know this is Endemol obviously, but every press release I see stresses the fact that this is Disney-ABC Domestic Television quite a bit.  Disney-ABC Domestic Television is the new name of Buena Vista.  I'd think this is sort of a sweetening of a deal to buy a season or two of syndie Millionaire.  The ratings have dropped significantly for the Regis version so you know they have to be doing anything they conceivably can to get the new episodes in.  People will think they are new.  I get emails thanking me (as if I work at GSN) for the brand new episodes of Twenty-One.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:01:17 PM by itiparanoid13 »

uncamark

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 02:32:13 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'153190\' date=\'May 23 2007, 12:59 PM\']
I know this is Endemol obviously, but every press release I see stresses the fact that this is Disney-ABC Domestic Television quite a bit.  Disney-ABC Domestic Television is the new name of Buena Vista.  I'd think this is sort of a sweetening of a deal to buy a season or two of syndie Millionaire.  The ratings have dropped significantly for the Regis version so you know they have to be doing anything they conceivably can to get the new episodes in.  People will think they are new.  I get emails thanking me (as if I work at GSN) for the brand new episodes of Twenty-One.
[/quote]

And "DOND" would be bought from NBC Universal.

It seems to me that the standard reality show contract these days gives the network's syndication arm the back end syndication rights for the version they're airing, unless the producer has a syndication arm (BBC Worldwide could sell reruns of "Dancing" through itself, as it could the "Strictly Come Dancing" British original)--correct?

BrandonFG

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2007, 03:23:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'153182\' date=\'May 23 2007, 01:23 PM\']
(What other Endemol properties are there, anyway?)
[/quote]
1 vs. 100 and Fear Factor, the latter of which aired in syndication from 2004-06, and on FX in reruns around the same time.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 01:09:03 AM »
I have a feeling that the Endemol shows on NBC are going to stay in the NBCU franchise since they give CNBC their ratings, even though it could make some business sense to shop it.
This signature is currently under construction.

Neumms

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2007, 12:01:01 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'153050\' date=\'May 22 2007, 11:53 AM\']
If you want to bring back SMTM, you do it the way WWE does it: straight time buy. Buy the air time from GSN and any ad revenue is kept by the party buying the air time.
[/quote]

Which gives me an idea: How much would a time buy on GSN cost, anyway? Let's, all of us, pool our money and we can get them to put "Now You See It" back on, or "Break the Bank" or whatever. It can't cost THAT much, can it?

And if we can make up some demographic data about game show devotees and attract a sponsor, like how Bunco players are prone to indigestion, we can even recoup some of it!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'153299\' date=\'May 24 2007, 09:01 AM\']
Which gives me an idea: How much would a time buy on GSN cost, anyway? Let's, all of us, pool our money and we can get them to put "Now You See It" back on, or "Break the Bank" or whatever. It can't cost THAT much, can it?
[/quote]
I'm honestly not sure. Are you serious?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 02:24:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'153299\' date=\'May 24 2007, 12:01 PM\']
we can get them to put "Now You See It" back on[/quote]
I wonder how well this program would work as a GSN original.

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 02:29:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'153299\' date=\'May 24 2007, 11:01 AM\']

Which gives me an idea: How much would a time buy on GSN cost, anyway?
[/quote]

I'd rather save my pennies dollars first-born child to pay off something besides airtime on a game show television channel.

Nevermind the fact that unless your little Game Show Cooperative hired someone to represent them in the dealings necessary to secure the time buy, you'd probably be asked to leave the premises at the front desk.  And that costs more money.

BrandonFG

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 03:53:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'153322\' date=\'May 24 2007, 02:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'153299\' date=\'May 24 2007, 12:01 PM\']
we can get them to put "Now You See It" back on[/quote]
I wonder how well this program would work as a GSN original.
[/quote]
The only thing is, one of their new originals "Camouflage"* is remarkably similar to the concept.

*Not to be confused with the Don Morrow/Tom Campbell versions from the early-60s and 80s, respectively.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2007, 09:23:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'153299\' date=\'May 24 2007, 09:01 AM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'153050\' date=\'May 22 2007, 11:53 AM\']
If you want to bring back SMTM, you do it the way WWE does it: straight time buy. Buy the air time from GSN and any ad revenue is kept by the party buying the air time.
[/quote]

And if we can make up some demographic data about game show devotees and attract a sponsor, like how Bunco players are prone to indigestion, we can even recoup some of it!
[/quote]
You forgot one little detail: "we" don't own the rights to those shows.

Neumms

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 10:48:49 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'153493\' date=\'May 26 2007, 08:23 PM\']
You forgot one little detail: "we" don't own the rights to those shows.
[/quote]

True, but GSN does. I honestly don't know what they would charge for time. Even if they can do a 1.0 rating, it wouldn't be cheap. But overnight? That might be.

I wouldn't forgo groceries to pay for it, but it might be a good conversation.

clemon79

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 11:38:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'153674\' date=\'May 29 2007, 07:48 AM\']
True, but GSN does. I honestly don't know what they would charge for time. Even if they can do a 1.0 rating, it wouldn't be cheap. But overnight? That might be.
[/quote]
You're really not getting this, are you?

Bypassing the asinine economics of the situation (and make no mistake, they _are_ asinine), when you do a time buy, that time is yours to air what you want (within regulations) of YOUR OWN CONTENT. I'm sure that GSN would be thrilled to let you choose something out of their vault to air in that slot, and I'm even more sure they would charge you a nice little licensing fee (because, you see, THEY own the content, and not you) to do so. And then they would sit back and laugh at you for being fool enough to pay them to air their own content on their own cable channel.

/and so would I

Neumms

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 02:59:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'153678\' date=\'May 29 2007, 10:38 AM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'153674\' date=\'May 29 2007, 07:48 AM\']
[/quote]
You're really not getting this, are you?

Bypassing the asinine economics of the situation (and make no mistake, they _are_ asinine), when you do a time buy, that time is yours to air what you want (within regulations) of YOUR OWN CONTENT. I'm sure that GSN would be thrilled to let you choose something out of their vault to air in that slot, and I'm even more sure they would charge you a nice little licensing fee (because, you see, THEY own the content, and not you) to do so. And then they would sit back and laugh at you for being fool enough to pay them to air their own content on their own cable channel.

/and so would I
[/quote]

If they charged a license fee, we wouldn't do it. This would require some desparation on GSN's part. My thinking is, if we're willing to buy time on some part of their schedule when few others are, they might be willing to play ball with what they show. If infomercials are more lucrative than whatever we'd cough up, then they won't be.

If it was a sponsor instead, say Pearle Vision Center is willing to pony up if they run "Now You See It" at oh, 8 eastern, I can't imagine GSN would hold them up for a licensing fee. They'd say, hell, we'll run Child's Play some other time.

Again, I haven't the foggiest idea of what they get for half an hour at 4 in the morning. It may be $10,000. It may be $100.

clemon79

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2007, 03:21:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'153714\' date=\'May 29 2007, 11:59 AM\']
My thinking is, if we're willing to buy time on some part of their schedule when few others are, they might be willing to play ball with what they show.
[/quote]
Your thinking is very VERY flawed.
If it was a sponsor instead, say Pearle Vision Center is willing to pony up if they run "Now You See It" at oh, 8 eastern, I can't imagine GSN would hold them up for a licensing fee.
Not the same animal as a plain cash buy. At all.
Again, I haven't the foggiest idea of what they get for half an hour at 4 in the morning.
Yeah, that's pretty obvious.

(hint: start with the larger number.)

Jimmy Owen

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2007, 01:32:43 PM »
Darn those economic realities!  I was hoping the makers of Tater Mitts could bring back "Hot Potato."

What might be interesting is if somebody could open a boutique DVD company and sub-lease rights to old game shows not worth Sony or BCI/Eclipse's time for sale to the 20-30 or so people here that might be interested.  You could make a DVD master and make dubs as the orders come in.  Maybe do an infomercial with highlights like they do for the old Dean Martin or Red Skelton DVDs and sell them only through a TV offer.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.