Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN says Show Me....  (Read 11375 times)

tvwxman

GSN says Show Me....
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:27:17 AM »
From Cynopsis.net:

GSN has acquired the off-net cable rights to Show Me The Money, the limited ABC game show series with host William Shatner, distributed by Disney-ABC Domestic Television.  The game will debut on GSN on June 12, beginning with the first of seven episodes, plus two that never aired on ABC, says Hollywood Reporter.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tpirfan28

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:45:16 AM »
Holy....

This came outta nowhere.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jimmy Owen

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »
Who says GSN isn't still interested in the classics?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Ol' Guy

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:54:57 AM »
Despite (most) everyone's grousing, I'm still of the opinion that SMtM was a very good quiz game, just screwed up with the hour stretch and the dancing crap. We got an actual quiz without 3rd grade level multiple choice answers, no money tree, and some actual big risk beyond falling back to a safe plateau. In one sense, you could say it's closer to Jeopardy than Millionaire. But... maybe today's mainstream audience is totally lost without being able to choose between a-b-c and d?

Rant over....

itiparanoid13

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 10:03:30 AM »
I hate to say this after I berated this show endlessly, but I'd gladly watch this any day of the week over Chain Reaction.  I looked back an episode I was sent a bit ago and I do respect them at least using tough trivia towards the end of the game and the end of the series.  Don't respect them for much else regarding the game, but for the trivia, yes.  It's more game than we're given in Bingo Night at least.

I find myself compromising and saying "Well at least it's not __________" a lot during this recent game show explosion.  I wish I didn't have to.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:04:10 AM by itiparanoid13 »

rebelwrest

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 10:53:34 AM »
I'm gueesing heads will roll or chairs will be thrown if this doesn't pan out at GSN.

From discussions here, I found that if an episode does not air, the contestant doesn't get paid the money they earn.  So if GSN airs those episodes, will the contestants get paid their money, and who makes the payout: ABC, Endemol, or GSN?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 11:39:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'153027\' date=\'May 22 2007, 05:56 AM\']
Who says GSN isn't still interested in the classics?
[/quote]
No more calls, please.
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'153029\' date=\'May 22 2007, 06:54 AM\']
Despite (most) everyone's grousing, I'm still of the opinion that SMtM was a very good quiz game, just screwed up with the hour stretch and the dancing crap.
[/quote]
Except it was broken as all hell. Allowing someone to pass as much as they wanted was ridiculous, the Killer Question Of Extreme Anal Chafing was about as confusing and bad as television got...there were still BIG problems. I respect your opinion, but I think if you take away the dancers and fix the pacing, it _still_ sucks.
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'153030\' date=\'May 22 2007, 07:03 AM\']
I hate to say this after I berated this show endlessly, but I'd gladly watch this any day of the week over Chain Reaction.[/quote]
Holy damning with faint praise, Batman! :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 12:22:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'153024\' date=\'May 22 2007, 07:27 AM\']
 plus two that never aired on ABC,[/quote]
I wonder if the contesatnts got their winnings for the unaired episodes, and if not, whether a GSN airing means somebody has to cough it up to them.  Of course, another possibility is that the contestants on the unaired shows all wiped out.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 12:53:44 PM »
NINE EPISODES?????? OF A SHOW THAT BOMBED ON ABC?????? Cripes, if I were a shareholder of Sony or Liberty Media I'd be off to a securities lawyer to start a class action lawsuit for squandering the corporations' money on s**t.

If you want to bring back SMTM, you do it the way WWE does it: straight time buy. Buy the air time from GSN and any ad revenue is kept by the party buying the air time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 01:00:44 PM by chris319 »

BrandonFG

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 01:10:10 PM »
Y'know, I suggested a modification of the rules some time ago. Modifications that included losing the dancers, making the budget about 1/10 of what it was*, and making a three-strike policy, but being allowed a safety net after three correct answers. However, somehow make it a two-player competition where the main SMtM game would be a bonus round.

You do all that, and you'd have a decent daytime game show.

*To all you who think you need to offer buttloads of money, contestants were getting over half-a-mil for answering six questions. $50,000 would be a nice payout.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'153050\' date=\'May 22 2007, 11:53 AM\']
NINE EPISODES?????? OF A SHOW THAT BOMBED ON ABC??????
[/quote]

It's worse than that.  Seven shows, not nine (the original comment was a bit misleading in it's wording). Only five aired on ABC, two went un-aired.

In what possible universe is this a good idea?  Who in, out, beside, or across from their right mind could have approved something like this?  No one watched the show on ABC, what makes them think this can do even remotely respectable numbers on a mid-tier cable niche channel like GSN.  

And the fun part is that GSN's actions get to piss off TWO sets of shareholders, Sony AND Liberty Media - specifically the Liberty Capital side of the company, which is the other half of the network ownership.  

/Still better than National Bingo Night
//I miss The Price is Right.

tvwxman

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 01:47:52 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'153050\' date=\'May 22 2007, 12:53 PM\']
NINE EPISODES?????? OF A SHOW THAT BOMBED ON ABC?????? Cripes, if I were a shareholder of Sony or Liberty Media I'd be off to a securities lawyer to start a class action lawsuit for squandering the corporations' money on s**t.

If you want to bring back SMTM, you do it the way WWE does it: straight time buy. Buy the air time from GSN and any ad revenue is kept by the party buying the air time.
[/quote]
Unlesssssssssssssss.....

GSN is doing this as a piggy back onto another , bigger Endemol order?

This kind of back-room deal is the norm these days. It's the only logical reason I can explain ABC's purchase of "Cavemen" for this fall.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'153059\' date=\'May 22 2007, 10:42 AM\']
[/quote]
Really? Even with NBN's flaws, it was still less sphincter-puckering than Show Me Teh Shatner.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'153064\' date=\'May 22 2007, 12:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'153059\' date=\'May 22 2007, 10:42 AM\']
[/quote]
Really? Even with NBN's flaws, it was still less sphincter-puckering than Show Me Teh Shatner.
[/quote]

At least Show Me The Piece of Shat didn't edit out segments of game play left and right to make it look like one thing happened (Ms. 7-straight-pulls) when it didn't quite turn out as nicely. (Even if she got six straight, which I'm not convinced of, there was definitely 1 edited pull before that last/seventh one).  Watching Shatner become more and more like Denny Crane with every passing day beats that, if barely.

/Though if I were held at gunpoint and forced to watch one or the other, the bullet might tempt me for a second.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:03:27 PM by Seth Thrasher »

Don Howard

GSN says Show Me....
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 02:19:10 PM »
In a brief amount of time, this could break the record set by Greed: The Multi-Million Dollar Challenge/The Series for the most times a run has been presented over that channel.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:19:47 PM by Don Howard »