Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: John Ritter on The Dating Game  (Read 3783 times)

whewfan

John Ritter on The Dating Game
« on: September 17, 2003, 05:32:17 AM »
Last night, ABC aired a tear jerking , yet also funny tribute to John Ritter. They aired a couple of clips with Ritter on The Dating Game. In an interview, John revealed that he and bachelor #1 were good friends, and they did these little things to screw up bachelor #2. They blew into his ear, and made little noises when it was his turn to talk! Those who didn't see the show yesterday on GSN, John won the date.

I didn't know that Amy Yasback had met John while filming Problem Child..... at least John had something besides money as a benefit of doing that movie, and who knows what he was thinking when he did the sequel.

ChuckNet

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 05:07:54 PM »
I didn't know that Amy Yasback had met John while filming Problem Child..... at least John had something besides money as a benefit of doing that movie, and who knows what he was thinking when he did the sequel.

Mericfully, both he and young Michael Oliver steered clear of the God-awful made-for-TV Problem Child 3 from 1994 or so, which featured only Jack Warden and Gilbert Gottfried from the original 2 films.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

whewfan

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 08:07:43 PM »
For those who might care, Judge (I'll do any third sequel, since my last true hit was Vice Versa) Reinhold played the hapless father in Problem Child 3, and was the equally hapless father in the 3rd Beethoven movie.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 09:02:10 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 05:07 PM\'] (I'll do any third sequel, since my last true hit was Vice Versa) [/quote]
 Vice Versa didn't exactly set the world on fire, either. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robair

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 09:13:42 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 04:32 AM\'] I didn't know that Amy Yasback had met John while filming Problem Child..... at least John had something besides money as a benefit of doing that movie, and who knows what he was thinking when he did the sequel. [/quote]
 No, my more immediate concern was what he was thinking when he did the original.

And here's another cinematic memory jogger from Ritter...\"Stay Tuned\" with Mindy!
--Robair

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 09:18:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 08:13 PM\'] And here's another cinematic memory jogger from Ritter..."Stay Tuned" with Mindy! [/quote]
 Ahh, yes, I remember desperately wanting to see that movie for the game show that Ritter and...Mindy appeared on. I was 9 or 10, sue me. :-)

As for the best Ritter movie, I think I'd have to say \"Skin Deep.\" Ritter in probably one of his funniest physical roles ever, esp. the shock therapy scene. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GS Warehouse

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 09:58:53 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 07:07 PM\'] For those who might care, Judge (I'll do any third sequel, since my last true hit was Vice Versa) Reinhold played the hapless father in Problem Child 3, and was the equally hapless father in the 3rd Beethoven movie. [/quote]
 NITPICK ALERT: Those third movies were second sequels, not third!  And IMO, his lone true hit was \"Dad, the Angel and Me\", which says a lot about his career.

ObGameShows: Judge is his name.  Judge is not Judge von Eric's real name.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 10:02:20 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 06:58 PM\'] NITPICK ALERT: Those third movies were second sequels, not third!  And IMO, his lone true hit was "Dad, the Angel and Me", which says a lot about his career.
 [/quote]
 Now now. He was a vital part of the Beverly Hills Cop trilogy. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 10:11:03 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 08:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 07:07 PM\'] For those who might care, Judge (I'll do any third sequel, since my last true hit was Vice Versa) Reinhold played the hapless father in Problem Child 3, and was the equally hapless father in the 3rd Beethoven movie. [/quote]
NITPICK ALERT: Those third movies were second sequels, not third!  And IMO, his lone true hit was "Dad, the Angel and Me", which says a lot about his career.

ObGameShows: Judge is his name.  Judge is not Judge von Eric's real name. [/quote]
 Never saw \"Fast Times at Ridgemont High?\"

Or would we say that was Sean Penn's hit?

ObGameShows: Sean Penn's ex-wife, Madonna, was an answer on \"Scrabble.\"
The clue: \"She uses her 'Penn' name.\"
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

whewfan

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 10:18:23 PM »
Stay Tuned was basically a ripoff of UHF, the Weird Al movie (IMO, MUCH funnier than Stay Tuned). The movie is mostly parodies of TV and movies, with a \"hell\" theme.  The humor is much more misses than hits, but there are two funny moments worth a look, including an animated scene where Ritter and Pam Dawber are mice in a cartoon directed by the late Tex Avery, and a scene where Ritter walks onto the set of (where else?) Three's Company (Ritter would later parody 3's Company again on 8 Simple Rules, this time playing Mr. Roper)

To steer this back to game shows, UHF had a couple of off the wall game show parodies, including Wheel Of Fish and Strip Solitaire.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 12:49:32 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 09:11 PM\'] Never saw \"Fast Times at Ridgemont High?\"

Or would we say that was Sean Penn's hit? [/quote]
Yes, this was Sean's hit.  Find your own hit, Judge.  Did I mention I never saw Fast Times anywhere near as often as Skyler Clipner?

Or that I never saw Fast Times at all?

Or that this is my 200th post?  [throws confetti on own head ala Dave Madden]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 12:50:45 AM by GS Warehouse »

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2003, 12:18:45 PM »
Vice Versa didn't exactly set the world on fire, either. :)

Prolly because it had the exact same plot as a Dudley Moore/Kirk Cameron film from the same year (1987), Like Father, Like Son. :-)

ChuckNet

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2003, 12:20:09 PM »
Ahh, yes, I remember desperately wanting to see that movie for the game show that Ritter and...Mindy appeared on. I was 9 or 10, sue me. :-)

For the record, the GS was called You Can't Win, and featured Don Pardo as the announcer.