Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The strongest format(s)?  (Read 6448 times)

BrandonFG

The strongest format(s)?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 12:25:26 PM »
I would also like to nominate "The Big Showdown". The "payoff point" was absolutely BRILLIANT, IMO.

Would love to see a similar idea instituted for the bonus round, while still using the elements of the original bonus round. In other words, to win the big money, you have to hit, say, 25 on the dot. Roll the die to build up to that, and if your roll gives you more than 25, roll again.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GSFan

The strongest format(s)?
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »
For certain, Pyramid is my favorite game, closely followed by Password.  The simplest games are the best; guess the subject and answer the question (or question the answer), win the money; guess the right price, win the prize.

It was so exciting, that it felt like The Ed Sullivan Theater was shaking every time a Winner's Circle round was won in the early days of Pyramid.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

gwarman2005

The strongest format(s)?
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2007, 02:22:40 PM »
I thought the quiz show style, before everyone needed multiple choices, were the most compelling formats.  The Joker's Wild, TTD, Split Second, etc all had their own unique gimmick but in the end you had to know your stuff.  It was the matter of getting on TV and proving that you were the smartest one in the group that day.

Neumms

The strongest format(s)?
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2007, 03:56:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'152825\' date=\'May 19 2007, 07:44 AM\']
Myron's point about TPIR is excellent.  Even though there are 75 of them, there's not much "game" there.

There's also the question of whether a "format" is different than a "game".  Family Feud, Child's Play and Go are to me some examples of very interesting games that are hurt somewhat by dull, derivative and/or vaguely flawed scoring systems. And to go full circle back to Myron's TPIR point, I would argue that the structure/format of TPIR is strong, it's the games themselves that are weak.
[/quote]

Let me disagree a little bit. There is a game there. "How much would you pay for this?" is as interesting a game as there is. It gets steamrolled by the carnival parts, but the one-bids and showcases are still good TV. It's even fun to play, not so much the home game but, say, in the furniture department at Bloomingdale's.

I'll even say the Cullen version would work in prime time today if the Barker version hadn't been around all these years.

And, of course, to further bolster your other point, it's Bob Stewart, too.