Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 442775 times)

Bob Zager

More new GS games coming soon
« on: May 12, 2007, 11:24:48 AM »
Yes, and new to the list will be a line of "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader," products from various manufacturers.  The following link will show you a card game from Cardinal, which also features a CD of questions, contained in a carrying case like DOND, and 1 VS 100 card games.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/n...-com_1946_55112

A report posted a few days ago, at tdmonthly.com mentioned that Pressman will be releasing a box game based on "Identity" this summer.

Oh, I also saw the new 1 VS. 100 electronic game at Linens-N-Things today for $39.99!  I haven't bought it yet, since I'm waiting for my paycheck, and seeing if it goes "on sale," for less.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 01:55:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'152136\' date=\'May 12 2007, 08:24 AM\']
contained in a carrying case like DOND,
[/quote]
Cardinal is going to milk that mini-briefcase until the end of TIME. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 05:22:44 PM »
Well hey, if enough game shows keep coming out, eventually you'll be able to collect your own set of 26 mini-briefcases for about $260.  Then just invite over 26 of your favorite hot model friends and, um... yeah, I got nothin'.

Anyway, beside the novelty of the case, those Cardinal card games are poorly-conceived, half-arsed home games churned out for the quick buck.  They're only useful as props for a game show party or for surplus questions.  I'm intrigued to see how the tabletop 1 vs. 100 turns out.  The Pressman board game is surprisingly well-executed, with a fully fleshed-out set of rules and decent materials.  (And this coming from a company that can only fit 5 categories on a Jeopardy! board.)
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 05:54:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'152148\' date=\'May 12 2007, 05:22 PM\']
Well hey, if enough game shows keep coming out, eventually you'll be able to collect your own set of 26 mini-briefcases for about $260.  Then just invite over 26 of your favorite hot model friends and, um... yeah, I got nothin'.[/quote]
You know, if you really wanted to duplicate the DoND experience (maybe as a classroom exercise or something), you could probably do a lot worse than starting with 26 of those little things.  For a while, the NBC website was selling the actual model of briefcase they use on the show, but they were $90 each.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 06:04:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'152150\' date=\'May 12 2007, 05:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'152148\' date=\'May 12 2007, 05:22 PM\']
Well hey, if enough game shows keep coming out, eventually you'll be able to collect your own set of 26 mini-briefcases for about $260.  Then just invite over 26 of your favorite hot model friends and, um... yeah, I got nothin'.[/quote]
You know, if you really wanted to duplicate the DoND experience (maybe as a classroom exercise or something), you could probably do a lot worse than starting with 26 of those little things.  For a while, the NBC website was selling the actual model of briefcase they use on the show, but they were $90 each.
[/quote]I wish I had hawt model friends. :)

It would be kinda cool to do have 26 small cases and play a classroom version of the game.  The way classrooms are now, there'd be the possibility of having 27 kids in a math class...26 "models", the contestant, and teacher for host/banker.

NBC doesn't sell the cases anymore.  But for the completely authentic experience, you gotta get the phone.  IIRC, though, it was like $350.

/NBC does sell earrings that the models wore....
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

chad1m

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 06:15:25 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'152152\' date=\'May 12 2007, 06:04 PM\']
/NBC does sell earrings that the models wore....
[/quote]

I'm sure little Timmy would be thrilled to wear those.

/and if he is[/i], think it's time to call mommy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 06:15:43 PM by chad1m »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 06:17:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'152150\' date=\'May 12 2007, 05:54 PM\']You know, if you really wanted to duplicate the DoND experience (maybe as a classroom exercise or something), you could probably do a lot worse than starting with 26 of those little things.  For a while, the NBC website was selling the actual model of briefcase they use on the show, but they were $90 each.[/quote]
You can get the same model briefcase from the manufacturer for the low Sale of the Century price of $69.95.

To self:  Snag one of the 1 vs. 100 games for the classroom; it's one of a handful of shows most of my students enjoy.

JayDLewis

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
I have no idea how rare a beast it was, but I have seen exactly one (1) DoND "briefcase" game in stores.

It was the big board game (with the chintzy board that you "flipped" the shutters when an amount was gone) packaged in a model-sized briefcase (obviously not the slick stainless steel but it was metallic). $30 at a WalMart here in Canada.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

tpirfan28

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 06:40:41 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'152155\' date=\'May 12 2007, 06:30 PM\']
It was the big board game (with the chintzy board that you "flipped" the shutters when an amount was gone) packaged in a model-sized briefcase (obviously not the slick stainless steel but it was metallic). $30 at a WalMart here in Canada.
[/quote]
Wow...awesomeness.  I looked at Amazon.ca (Canadian counterpart) and they only had the CD game and the scratch & play book.

StraightUpOffTopic: I found this gem while searching for "Deal or No Deal".  It made me giggle a little.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Bob Zager

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 01:52:46 PM »
[/b]UPDATE--5/20/07:

Barnes and Noble's website shows a listing for the Match Game DVD game, as having been "published" in April, but if you click the following link, you'll see the box art credits/pictures host Gene Rayburn!:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...60339&itm=1

They also list/illustrate Pressman's Deal or No Deal boardgame, in a collectible briefcase:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...0018&itm=18

TRU in my area now has the "Pass 'N Play" DOND electronic game, which pretty much is just looking like it takes the best of the two previous versions, and blends them together (not quite as compact as the handheld, but smaller than the tabletop, and allows up to four players--plus audio, which the display model I tested, just audibly said "Deal or no Deal?")

Though I didn't see it at the same TRU store, their website is now listing the Jeopardy! DVD game to be "In Stock!"  They list a price of $59.99!  Kinda high, but more affordable than a "Host Your Own/Classroom Jeopardy!" game!

bwood

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 01:57:41 PM »
I'll admit that I bought the "Classroom/Host Your Own Jeopardy!". It's the "Host Your Own" edition. I bought it off of eBay for about $120, and it was new so I thought it was a good deal. Even though it's a little pricey, I'd have to say it's one of the coolest GS items I have ever seen. I've really gotten a lot of use out of it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 03:07:26 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'152927\' date=\'May 20 2007, 10:57 AM\']
I'll admit that I bought the "Classroom/Host Your Own Jeopardy!". It's the "Host Your Own" edition. I bought it off of eBay for about $120, and it was new so I thought it was a good deal. Even though it's a little pricey, I'd have to say it's one of the coolest GS items I have ever seen. I've really gotten a lot of use out of it.
[/quote]
For $120, if you _really_ wanted to put on a Jeopardy production in your living room, that's not too terribly bad of a price. I'd think about paying that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 10:55:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'152931\' date=\'May 20 2007, 03:07 PM\']
For $120, if you _really_ wanted to put on a Jeopardy production in your living room, that's not too terribly bad of a price. I'd think about paying that.
[/quote]

Might be a wise investment for the next GSC...besides, if all attendees divided the cost, it'd be quite feasible.

Chuck Donegan (The Always-Thinking "Chuckie Baby")

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 11:09:39 PM »
Would bwood or anybody else care to give a full review? The one thing that deflated me on pursuing buying it was the fact Daily Doubles are randomly chosen by the program.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

comicus

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 11:33:06 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'152927\' date=\'May 20 2007, 12:57 PM\']
[/quote]

Considering that the lowest price I saw for that item via a Google search was over $350, I'd say you got a fantastic deal if it was new.