The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Price is Right/ Announcer Salaries

(1/5) > >>

Skynet74:
Thought this would be kind of a fun topic for everyone. Let's have some educated guesses about what you think Game Show announcers in the business currently make. Randy West will probably get a kick out of some of these guesses since he knows first hand.   I'll start

Rod Roddy  $ 3000 per show
Price Is Right fill in Announcers $1,000 per show
Charlie O'Donell $3,500 Per Show
Johnny Gilbert   $3,500 Per Show

John

chris319:
Are you talking about per show or per taping day? Johnny Gilbert and Charlie O. may get the figures you cite for one taping day. Divide that by five and you get $700 per show.

In 1979 a certian announcer made $1,280 per taping day or $256 per show.

Matt Ottinger:
The AFTRA scale for off-camera announcers is posted on the web.  Certainly, staffers such as Rod Roddy or Charlie O get more than scale, but here's a little factual information injected into this fanciful discussion.

An off-camera announcer speaking more than ten lines on a one-hour show (such as TPIR) gets at least $484 for one show.   The fee increases depending on how many shows he does in one calendar week, up to $1,452 for doing five shows.  The rates are lower for half-hour shows, of course, and lower still if the announcer has ten lines or less.

There's probably a lot more to it than a simple chart of scale payments, but there's the minimum for you.

http://www.aftra.org/resources/networktvrate.html#E

Skynet74:
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 18 2003, 09:27 AM\'] An off-camera announcer speaking more than ten lines on a one-hour show (such as TPIR) gets at least $484 for one show.   The fee increases depending on how many shows he does in one calendar week, up to $1,452 for doing five shows. [/quote]

hmmmm, I may have over estimated what they get paid. Yes, Brandon it's just a guessing game. $484 dollars per show seems really low.  For 52 weeks of shows that would only be 125,840 dollars a year. That's certainly much less than what I pictured a highly successful announcer on a National Television show making. I pictured Rod's salary as well as Charlie's and Johnny's as being closer to half a million a year since they are so high profile. Saturday Night Live's Don Pardo much make over a million seeing he's been in the business for 60 years and probably gets a ton of money for side projects.

John

clemon79:
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jun 18 2003, 10:36 AM\'] I pictured Rod's salary as well as Charlie's and Johnny's as being closer to half a million a year since they are so high profile. Saturday Night Live's Don Pardo much make over a million seeing he's been in the business for 60 years and probably gets a ton of money for side projects. [/quote]
 First, I think this is a pretty inappropriate topic for a public forum among whos membership is a fairly successful announcer. It's tantamount to asking him \"Hey, what do you make, anyhow?\" It's none of our business.

That said, I would be VERY surprised if any of the people you named are making a half-mil a year. I don't think \"game show announcer\" (again, with apologies to Randy) is nearly as high-profile a gig as you think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version