Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bye-bye Thousand Dollar Bee  (Read 14333 times)

dzinkin

Bye-bye Thousand Dollar Bee
« on: April 24, 2007, 03:47:45 PM »
I hate to break the bad news to all of the Thousand Dollar Bee fans, but according to this article from Broadcasting & Cable, Black Family Channel will shut down at the end of the month:

Black Family Channel to Close Its Doors

I had no idea of the big names behind the channel -- but I guess it wasn't enough.

tpirfan28

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:53:53 PM »
Ya know...I really want to see an episode of this "monstrosity".  I've never seen it.  And I'm not kidding.

Would TDB fit in GSN's schedule?  Even if just during the month of February?

EDIT:  I think I wanna kill myself.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 04:08:46 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 04:23:51 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'150879\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 02:53 PM\']
Ya know...I really want to see an episode of this "monstrosity".  I've never seen it.  And I'm not kidding.

Would TDB fit in GSN's schedule?  Even if just during the month of February?
[/quote]

Only if management was on crack cocaine.  :)

Looks like this Saturday at 11:30 a.m. ET will be your last opportunity to watch "Thou$and Dollar Bee."  Right now, the web site has no indication that they're shutting down.

I'll be interested to see if BFC goes out with goodbyes to viewers or at midnight ET next Monday they just pull the plug and put up the color bars (or Gospel Music Channel) without any announcement.  In the end, they couldn't compete with Comcast and Radio One's money for TV One in the alternative-to-hip-hop for black audiences market.

Allstar87

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »
At the risk of extreme ridicule...would anyone mind taping the last TDB for me? I'd kinda like to have a complete episode, if for no other reason just so me and my friends can laugh at it.

Yeah, I saw the Youtube clip, so I know exactly what I'm in for.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 04:42:30 PM by Allstar87 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 05:03:58 PM »
Gawd, what will the wacky host Sinatra do for work?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 05:46:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150882\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 05:03 PM\']
[/quote]
I hear that feller Bob Barker is retirin' from that CBS game show...he could take over for him!

TODAY'S QUICKPOLL QUESTION:
Better suited to take over for Bob on TPiR: Dave Price or "Sinatra" from TDB? :P

And another thought to ponder...what if Endumball took this show over?  I smell an instant hit for Fox primetime, as a lead-in for "Fifth-Grader".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 05:49:35 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

DrBear

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 06:35:47 PM »
This is the first chance I've had to see it....and my only reaction is:

Jesus H. Christ doing yoga on a muffin, that's awful.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 06:35:53 PM »
I'm honestly not surprised, BFC, and its predecessor, MBC, had extremely cheap presentation (esp. with their college football games), and Thousand Dollar Bee wasn't the only show that reflected the low-budget feel of the entire network.

While TVOne continuously gains viewers (and critical acclaim), BFC's audience probably dwindled, mainly because the marketing was damn near non-existent.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

brianhenke

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 07:19:27 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'150888\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 06:35 PM\']
I'm honestly not surprised, BFC, and its predecessor, MBC, had extremely cheap presentation (esp. with their college football games), and Thousand Dollar Bee wasn't the only show that reflected the low-budget feel of the entire network.

While TVOne continuously gains viewers (and critical acclaim), BFC's audience probably dwindled, mainly because the marketing was damn near non-existent.
[/quote]

It was the only channel (to the best of my knowledge) to air Rocky and Bullwinkle...and they had grade-Z versions of classic public domain cartoons!

But I'll miss that "THOUSAND DOLLAR BEE" theme song...

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

tpirfan28

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 08:11:23 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'150891\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 07:19 PM\']
[/quote]
I sure as hell won't.

Speaking of...can someone post the rules of this game?  I've been looking for them, as I can't figure out what the point of "Thousand Dollar" is.  I understand the "Bee" part (actually kinda creative)....and the video clip is so chopped up I can't figure it out.

tyshaun1

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 08:19:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'150893\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 08:11 PM\']
[/quote]
I sure as hell won't.

Speaking of...can someone post the rules of this game?
[/quote]
Sure....... kids spell words until viewers at home jump off the top of their houses. The first person to successfully make it through the entire half hour yelling "Sinatra!" wins.

My questions is, how in the hell did Robert Townsend let this......thing on the air?

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 08:21:53 PM by tyshaun1 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 08:25:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'150893\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 08:11 PM\']
[/quote]
I sure as hell won't.

Speaking of...can someone post the rules of this game?  I've been looking for them, as I can't figure out what the point of "Thousand Dollar" is.  I understand the "Bee" part (actually kinda creative)....and the video clip is so chopped up I can't figure it out.
[/quote]
IIRC, it was a tournament format, in which the winner at the very end won all that money.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 08:48:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150882\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 05:03 PM\']
[/quote]
The host of the most recent episodes was a less wacky, more toned down twenty-something named Brandon, I do believe.  (I came across an episode while flipping channels last Friday.  No, really.)

RMF

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:49:44 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'150894\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 07:19 PM\']
My questions is, how in the hell did Robert Townsend let this......thing on the air?
Tyshaun
[/quote]

From what little BFC programming I've seen, it would appear that Townsend was trapped into making programming moves he could either budget properly nor back out of. This is just one example.

It appears to have been part of one of his first moves upon his hiring

ChuckNet

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 08:52:04 PM »
IIRC, it was a tournament format, in which the winner at the very end won all that money.

You are correct...no payoff for the preliminaries, etc, the winner just advanced to the next round of competition.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")