Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High School "Quiz Bowl" Shows  (Read 17298 times)

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
High School "Quiz Bowl" Shows
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 10:38:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'150598\' date=\'Apr 19 2007, 09:51 PM\']
(On a side note...didn't know Loog's boards were still active. I should drop in.)
[/quote]

They were just brought back online.
*Indecipherable screaming*

DrBear

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 11:04:52 PM »
Haven't had one in Green Bay for years - they had one in the late 60s on WFRV, Channel 5, with the worst name ever:

wait for it...

"Five High."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

WhammyPower

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 11:10:19 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'150604\' date=\'Apr 19 2007, 10:04 PM\'] Haven't had one in Green Bay for years - they had one in the late 60s on WFRV, Channel 5, with the worst name ever: "Five High." [/quote]
Which is what they were when they came up with that name.

I don't think Milwaukee's had a local quiz bowl of any sort on TV... but I could be wrong.

/Eric Gordon, WFRV's current VO guy, sucks.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:23:19 PM by WhammyPower »

Chief-O

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 11:18:25 PM »
WTVT in Tampa had one in the 70's called "High-Q"----I don't know much about it, but go to big13.net and you'll probably find a pic or 2 from it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:21:13 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

mcsittel

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 02:27:38 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'150597\' date=\'Apr 19 2007, 08:47 PM\']
http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9521&hl=

December 05.
[/quote]

Thanks for the link.  I did search the archives but admittedly didn't dig through all of the 472 pages it returned.  Dec 05 was "before my time" on this group!

davemackey

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 06:58:20 AM »
News 12 New Jersey has "Challenge: New Jersey", a production of Cablevision's Power To Learn Division. This is a successor to the old "Rutgers Bowl" program that aired on NJN for years.

davewalls

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 07:19:06 AM »
Delaware has the "Comcast Academic Challenge". For a program taped at the Comcast/CN8 studios in Delaware, it looks like it was done in a back closet with a disposable video camera from CVS.

Back in the day, there was the "Texaco All Star Academic Challenge", which was still a little stiff in presentation, but was, at least, watchable. Surprised that Philadelphia has never even attempted a quiz bowl of some sort.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

Gus

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 11:50:21 AM »
Surprised Cleveland's Academic Challenge hasn't shown up yet. That one was based on the Washington-area It's Academic, and has been on nearly as long, save a several-year gap in the late 90's / early 00's. Was hosted by TV-5 weatherman Don Webster for the longest time, then by news anchor Lou Maglio, then by morning show anchor Adam Shapiro, and now by morning show anchor Dannita (sp?) Harris. (I may be missing a few hosts down the line.)

Rastaub

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 12:27:07 PM »
Up in the Scranton Wilkes-Barre, PA area, we have Scholastic Scrimmage on WVIA 44, the local PBS station.

I want to say it premiered in early 06. Not exactly sure of the host, however whoever they have this year is worlds better than the wooden host they had the previous year.  The set is kind of drab, however the managed to salvage a few pieces of metal left over from Donnymid.

1984Gameshowsfan

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »
In the Pacific Northwest, we have a show called "High Five Challenge" it's been airing since the mid to late 90's I believe. It is produced in Portland, Oregon and currently airs ironically enough on one of the local PBS stations, KCTS Channel 9. Previously, it has aired on our local My Network station KMYQ (formerly our WB station known as KTWB and KTZZ) and our local independent station KONG 6/16. Basically the rules are (and i'm remebering this off the top of my head) two teams from Oregon and Washington State schools compete, each team is spotted 2000 points at the start of the show, there are two rounds of play and five categories in each round with the last category in the second round played for double points. The show is a tournament format and the final of the tournament is usually played in May or June. If you want to find out about the show they have a website, just google High Five Challenge and you should be able to find it.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 03:19:30 PM »
Pittsburgh's Hometown High Q is a bit of a departure from Quiz Bowl, but it's still an enjoyable program, and there's actually a good amount of prizes involved.
This signature is currently under construction.

uncamark

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 03:34:22 PM »
Philadelphia had "It's Academic" back in the 60s on KYW (which was WRCV before that).

There hasn't been anything in Chicago since "It's Academic" went off the air a long time ago, with the exception of "Know Your Heritage" popping up every Black History Month.  WLS currently runs that show, with early morning news anchor Hosea Sanders hosting, last I looked.

CliffColeclough

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 03:59:39 PM »
In Toronto - we have Reach for the Top.  This show has been around at least 30 years.

BMaurice06

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 05:04:19 PM »
In the Raleigh-Durham Triangle area, we have WRAL-TV's "Brain Game," which uses three high school teams a week and is only seen halfway through the TV season.  The station's traffic reporter Mark Roberts is the emcee.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 06:44:05 PM »
Portland Oregon had "The High-Five Challenge" on KPTV 12.  Now I think it's on the PBS station in Portland.  I know because I was on KPTV's site and I read about the High-Five Challenge