Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High School "Quiz Bowl" Shows  (Read 17288 times)

mcsittel

High School "Quiz Bowl" Shows
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:33:34 PM »
I'm wondering how prevalent weekly, televised high school quiz bowl shows are these days.  Omaha doesn't have one, nor does Nebraska or Iowa statewide PBS.  I hadn't seen one in years until I stumbled onto one on WREG-3 Memphis, TN a couple years back when we were traveling.  Looks like my home market, Tri-Cities TN, still has "Scholars Bowl" on WETP/WKOP (20+ years longevity too, I was on it in ~1987).

I've seen them mentioned here from time to time but was wondering just how common they are.

gameboy2000

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »
We have "Battle of the Brains" in the Hampton Roads Area.
gameboy2000.weebly.com

PYLW

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:40:46 PM »
Here on our News 12 Long Island station, we have this show called "THE CHALLENGE", used to be called "The Long Island Challenge", but it now uses hipper graphics to market to teenagers...Don't really see how it'll work, but whatever. It's not too bad of a show, simple College Bowl type show with random "It Happened on Long Island" questions, and a Final Jeopardy-ish final round, where everyone teams up to answer a question.

EDIT: Had wrong channel...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 01:55:27 PM by PYLW »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:46:58 PM »
Does one air in your area?
Yes.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:47:12 PM »
Indianapolis has one...but for the life of me, I can't remember the title.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvmitch

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:52:44 PM »
Our NBC affilliate, WGAL, in Lancaster, PA, has aired Capital Blue Cross Brain Busters for 6 years running. Sponsor Capital Blue Cross is a local insurance company. Mix of regular toss-up rounds, a one-on-one round, a betting round, and a rapid fire round. Rich Rosen does a good job as host (and hosted a similar show, "High Q," on ABC affiliate WHTM for a number of years before CBCBB), but I may be partial to the station in general...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:55:09 PM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:59:13 PM »
Didn't we just do this thread?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

snowpeck

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 08:00:30 PM »
Oh yes, Scholar's Bowl has been a staple of WSJK... er I mean WETP (why did they ever change their call letters) for years and years.  I was never interested in being on the show myself, but my school always had a team there that usually fared pretty well.  Too bad I can't say the same about the athletic teams from my high school....

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

chad1m

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 08:13:45 PM »
In addition to QuizBusters, we have High School Challenge, hosted by the "professional" Jimmy Rhodes.

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:05:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150583\' date=\'Apr 19 2007, 07:59 PM\']
Didn't we just do this thread?
[/quote]

There was a local gs thread on Loogaroo's message boards a while back, I think that's what's crossing your mind.

In addition to High School Challenge and Quizbusters, CMU has Quiz Central. Am I being too harsh, or does the show seem to have some of the worst production values ever? I understand that as a local production, it isn't going to be the greatest shows ever, but these guys seemed to put no effort into producing the show.
*Indecipherable screaming*

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 09:13:49 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLclark86\' post=\'150591\' date=\'Apr 19 2007, 09:05 PM\']
In addition to High School Challenge and Quizbusters, CMU has Quiz Central. Am I being too harsh, or does the show seem to have some of the worst production values ever? I understand that as a local production, it isn't going to be the greatest shows ever, but these guys seemed to put no effort into producing the show.
[/quote]
No, we did have one some time back.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 09:14:30 PM »
Judging by the pictures, it looks better than High School Challenge did about seven years ago. It used to just be two tables, a podium and a scoreboard in a conference room with no set, no backdrop, nothing.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 09:34:21 PM »
"Quiz Central" is putrid. The host is bland, the two-shot of the teams is not head on, so one of the scoreboards is rendered useless, the graphics are uninspired, etc. I've only been able to stand about 2 minutes before changing that channel. It's too bad I can't get WKAR on CMU cable.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 09:47:13 PM »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Allstar87

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLclark86\' post=\'150591\' date=\'Apr 19 2007, 09:05 PM\']
Am I being too harsh, or does the show seem to have some of the worst production values ever?
[/quote]

Nope, I agree. Quiz Central needs MUCH more life injected into it.

I live in Virginia, close to DC. It's Academic airs in my area, but I don't get Battle of the Brains. The former's terrific; I wonder if the latter is.

(On a side note...didn't know Loog's boards were still active. I should drop in.)