Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN to pick up "World Poker Tour"....  (Read 4458 times)

weaklink75

GSN to pick up "World Poker Tour"....
« on: April 05, 2007, 03:30:47 PM »
Starting next season.... I think this is a great move, since although the WPT shows have been down on Travel Channel, they still rate decently...plus Travel Channel is in a state of transition anyway (Discovery bought out Cox Communications share of their networks recently; part of the deal was Cox got Travel Channel)...any thoughts?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 03:49:49 PM »
It's as if the Westerns Channel started showing "Beverly Hills 90210." It would get great demos and it's set in the West, but is it a Western?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 04:21:31 PM »
With that logic, the WPT makes even less sense on Travel Channel.  It's a series that (supposedly) travels the world, but it's not a Travel show.  On the other hand, GSN is (supposedly) a network for games.  Poker is a game.  Therefore, what's the problem?

Now the only stuff I know about licensing is what I learn at anime conventions, but $335,000/episode seems like an awful lot.
This signature is currently under construction.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 04:29:49 PM »
The problem is that shows that aren't in sync with the core audience reduces the core audience.  Wouldn't you agree that the people who watch Poker on TV don't give two hoots about Bud Collyer?  I don't even watch GSN on weeknights because nothing interests me in their primetime lineup. Start a 24/7 Poker channel and put that stuff there.

trustno1

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 04:32:49 PM »
I think the WPT on GSN will go down nicely, thank you very much.
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats

WhammyPower

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:57:07 PM »
Over/Under on Shandi joining WPT: May 31st.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:58:44 PM by WhammyPower »

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 05:45:05 PM »
I haven't watched the WPT in a few years... but haven't many of the "name" poker pros ditched this for the PPT show? Or is it a package deal for both series?
@lambertman

goongas

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 08:08:39 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'149534\' date=\'Apr 5 2007, 05:45 PM\']
I haven't watched the WPT in a few years... but haven't many of the "name" poker pros ditched this for the PPT show? Or is it a package deal for both series?
[/quote]

The PPT didn't last past the initial season.  Most pros still play in WPT events.  The problem is you don't necessarily see many of them at the final table regularly enough, IMO.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 09:37:51 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'149570\' date=\'Apr 5 2007, 05:08 PM\']
The PPT didn't last past the initial season.  Most pros still play in WPT events.  The problem is you don't necessarily see many of them at the final table regularly enough, IMO.
[/quote]
Then maybe they should....oh, I dunno...PLAY POKER BETTER.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

davemackey

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 05:36:13 AM »
WPT seems a better fit on GSN than Travel. Granted, the Travel Channel has lost one of its marquee shows, but now GSN just has that much more legitimacy with this long-running hit.

But by the time GSN gets WPT on, will TV poker have lost its luster? Some of the poker shows that have sprung up in recent years are now long gone from TV - like "Celebrity Poker Showdown" and "Ultimate Poker Challenge".

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 10:15:46 AM »
In other news, they apparently just got done airing the "National 3 Card Poker Championship".

In my opinion, that is one of the most boring games of all to watch (and play, for that matter).  There's little, if any strategy involved, the game lacks any true excitement, and you really just had to be lucky to even qualify for the damn thing (the tips suck on 3 Card Poker too).
--Mark
Phil 4:13

weaklink75

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 12:25:47 PM »
Here's Rich Cronin on the deal....apparently, they're looking to package it with High Stakes Poker on Monday nights in January.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 01:47:47 PM »
Considering how well High Stakes is doing (erm..."well" in the compared-to-everything-else sense), if GSN brings in some new viewers with the Tour who see High Stakes, then it's all good. Poker fans seem especially intrigued to see a cash game like that, and I, who can sometimes get in to a Celebrity Poker Showdown match or World Series final, really liked it as well.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »
I like baseball.  Why can't GSN carry some minor league games in prime? :)

What people may overlook is that while this kind of programming may be more popular than game shows, it doesn't really help the cause of game shows on GSN.

USA has mostly movies in the daytime and it's been that way for a decade.  I'm happy that USA has high ratings, but I don't think that'll lead to the return of the USA afternoon of games.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:40:55 PM by Jimmy Owen »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 08:37:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'149686\' date=\'Apr 6 2007, 01:16 PM\']What people may overlook is that while this kind of programming may be more popular than game shows, it doesn't really help the cause of game shows on GSN.[/quote]It sure doesn't. And that ship sailed when we first saw Average Joe and Spy TV instead of Wheel of Fortune and $100,000 Pyramid.
Travis L. Eberle