Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob's replacement  (Read 12674 times)

Card Shark

Bob's replacement
« on: March 25, 2007, 08:38:54 AM »
Getting on April, when do those who have knowledge on the industry believe we might learn about who gets the coveted hosting job on TPIR?
Adam Strom

tvrandywest

Bob's replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'149001\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 04:38 AM\'] Getting on April, when do those who have knowledge on the industry believe we might learn about who gets the coveted hosting job on TPIR? [/quote]
It could be any time between mid April and June.

Although I work for Fremantle, I have zero inside information and would be prohibited from sharing any if I did. With that said, based on my experience, my educated guess is that by this time they have likely taped all of the prospects and are now doing their research - doing the focus group thing with those test episodes.

If they are not happy with those results, there is a possibility they could go back to try casting again. More likely, the next two steps will involve discussions between the network and the production company followed by financial negotiations. Remember that the future of the show is a big concern for these two multi-national corporations - the wheels turn slowly.

May you live in interesting times.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bob's replacement
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 06:37:51 PM »
I pray that the focus groups pick Dave Price. Just because.

the future of the show is a big concern for these two multi-national corporations
If one of those multi-nats were Disney, they'd build an Audio Animatronics clone of a 45-year-old Bob Barker and be done with it.

tpirfan28

Bob's replacement
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 06:44:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'149015\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 06:37 PM\']
[/quote]
If it's the groups that seem to mingle around Dave everywhere he goes...then he's a shoo-in.

the future of the show is a big concern for these two multi-national corporations
If one of those multi-nats were Disney, they'd build an Audio Animatronics clone of a 45-year-old Bob Barker and be done with it.
Wait...I thought that's what was already being done.  According to Dane Cook, he's been gone since '87.

/I wish I could find that on YouTube.....
//Dane Cook should host
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Bob's replacement
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:48:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'149016\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 06:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'149015\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 06:37 PM\']
[/quote]
//Dane Cook should host
[/quote]

Here are my two frontrunners in the People I Hope Nobody In Power Reads And Takes Seriously contest.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tpirfan28

Bob's replacement
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 07:05:22 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'149017\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 06:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'149016\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 06:44 PM\']
//Dane Cook should host
[/quote]
Here are my two frontrunners in the People I Hope Nobody In Power Reads And Takes Seriously contest.

-Jason
[/quote]
If Moonves, Roger Dobkowitz, whoever heads Fremantle, or whoever makes this decision takes my comment seriously...I will gladly jump off this platform into the Grand Canyon.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Bob's replacement
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 07:54:18 PM »
If somehow Dave Price gets the job, I hope that in one final, flowery tribute to Bob, that CBS officially renames him "The Bob Barker Dave Price".
@lambertman

JayDLewis

Bob's replacement
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 08:07:05 PM »
I'm fairly sure Dave Price won't be getting the gig. If it wasn't his "performances" at TPiR Live and the in-studio test weren't enough...

Did anyone catch him on the Early Show with that stupid "All Access" thing they have. Dave is on the deck of the Queen Mary, informs this already excited woman that she's going with him (shudder) to Hong Kong for the weekend.

Of course, this woman flips out grabs Dave, and is huggin him like hell. He didn't say it in these words (and his body language certainly suggested it) but he told her to get off of him.

The host of TPiR should not be adverse to having people hug him when they award them with a prize. Duh.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

tvrandywest

Bob's replacement
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 08:40:25 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'149006\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 09:17 AM\'] ... If they are not happy with those results, there is a possibility they could go back to try casting again... [/quote] Replying to my own post (!), I'm starting to think I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another candidate or two be considered. My own experierience suggests that when both parties that have to agree can't immediately find a common favorite, they go back to the well.

Just like in life, it's all in the journey and not the destination.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

mcsittel

Bob's replacement
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 09:32:50 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'149021\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 06:40 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'149006\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 09:17 AM\'] ... If they are not happy with those results, there is a possibility they could go back to try casting again... [/quote] Replying to my own post (!), I'm starting to think I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another candidate or two be considered. My own experierience suggests that when both parties that have to agree can't immediately find a common favorite, they go back to the well.

Just like in life, it's all in the journey and not the destination.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

Does CBS have a firm deadline for their selection?  Couldn't they ride on reruns for awhile if they weren't ready to choose?  You figure CBS will hype the 'changing of the guard', but does it really have to happen in early September?  

Seems to me CBS has quite a few options here, including recent reruns, or running a few weeks of 'classics'.  Perhaps one episode per year for Bob's tenure-that would buy them 7 weeks.  I suppose they could even air the 'test hosts' episodes to get a feel for who the public liked.  Of course then you could have made a reality show: "The Price is Right-You're the Host That I Want!".

"Classic TPIR" seems like a nice idea to me, if CBS needs a little more time.

calliaume

Bob's replacement
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »
Reruns are certainly an option.

This is easily the biggest host replacement decision any game show has had to make -- and I'm sure the words "Rolf Benirschke" have been whispered more than once.  Give them time.

J.R.

Bob's replacement
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 12:20:06 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'149023\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 09:08 PM\']
and I'm sure the words "Rolf Benirschke" have been whispered more than once.  Give them time.
[/quote]

Well, at least by me! ;-)
-Joe Raygor

Adam Nedeff

Bob's replacement
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 11:46:24 AM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'149022\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 09:32 PM\']
 I suppose they could even air the 'test hosts' episodes to get a feel for who the public liked.
[/quote]

I don't see what would be undesirable about using the same solution that they used for "The Late Late Show"; have all of the potential new guys host a week of shows during season 36 and rotate between them until we find somebody we like. That way, the audience is already used to them when they get the permanent gig. MUCH easier transition from Bob.

Steve Gavazzi

Bob's replacement
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 12:07:36 PM »
One problem with that logic, though...they didn't have to teach the Late Late candidates the rules of Contestants' Row, the Showcase Showdown, the Showcase, and 30 to 75 pricing games (depending on how many shows each one hosted).  I'm not sure that's something they want to go through.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:08:29 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

byrd62

Bob's replacement
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 10:09:36 AM »
I was listening to some morning radio show say that Mario Lopez, once of Saved by the Bell, Pacific Blue, Pet Star, America's Most Talented Kid, ESPN Hollywood, last fall's Dancing with the Stars, and last January's Miss America Pageant, was purported to have "nailed it" during his audition for Bob's job, and was said to have the "inside track".